College Gridiron 2007

Saturday was the first full day of the new season of NCAA gridiron, with two incredible storylines:

Appalachian State, the 2 time reigning I-AA national champions, goes to Ann Arbor and shocks Michigan, 34-32, in one of the biggest upsets in history, and the first win ever by a I-AA team over a ranked I-A team.

Also, Virginia Tech played its first match since the massacre of April, but just hung on to peat East Carolina 17-7.

Other top 25 scores:

1.USC 38

Idaho 10

From Thursday:

2.LSU 45

Mississippi St. 0

3.West Virginia

Western Michigan 24

4.Texas 21

Arkansas St 13

5.Michigan 32

Appalachian St 34

6.Florida (defending champions) 49

Western Kentucky 3

7.Wisconsin 42

Washington St 21

8.Oklahoma 79

North Texas 10

9.Virginia Tech 17

East Carolina 7

From Thursday:

10.Louisville 73

Murray St. 10

11.Ohio St. 38

Youngstown St. 6

12. California 45

15. Tennessee 31

13.Georgia 35

Oklahoma St 14

14.UCLA 45

Stanford 17

From Thursday:

16.Rutgers 38

Buffalo 3

17.Penn St 59

Florida International 0

18.Auburn 23

Kansas State 13 :lol: KSTATE SUCKS!!! Thank you Auburn!!!

21.Arkansas 46

Troy 26

22.TCU 27

Baylor 0

24.Boise St 56

Weber St 7

25.Texas A&M 38

Montana St. 7

As for who will win what, here's my take:

Big 10 Champ: Ohio St.

ACC Champ: Virginia Tech

Big 12:Texas

Pac 10:USC

SEC:LSU

WAC:Boise St

Big East:Louisville

BCS:

Rose Bowl:

Ohio St vs Virginia Tech

Sugar Bowl:

Florida vs. Boise St (what should have been last year's title match)

Fiesta Bowl:

Texas vs. Louisville

Orange Bowl:

West Virginia vs. Auburn

BCS National Championship Grand Final-New Orleans:

Southern Cal vs. Louisiana St

Of course these predictions will crumble to bits next week. So I might as well develop a plan B.

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry for not having kept up with this thread during this season, basically I forgot about it, but I will say that I'm going to Saturday's KU-Missouri game in Kansas City, and it will be a beauty, with KU being #2 in the BCS and Mizzou #4 and the winner to go to San Antonio for the Big 12 grand final and with national title hopes intact.

Mizzou won Saturday night's game 36-28, clinching it with a late safety to kill our hopes. Boy does it hurt, but I would much rather lose to Mizzou than to KSTATE, at least Mizzou is a real school, all KSTATE is is a clown college.

But it was a good game, and Mizzou were deserving winners, and I hope they kick OU's ass in the Big 12 title game (they do, we get in BCS after all).

I did get a couple of things out of the trip, met up up with one of my lifelong friends who I hadn't seen since our senior night, and I got the email addresses of a couple of Mizzou coeds, they were actually rather nice ladies.

I will hopefully post some pics of the game eventually.

After the wildest, most chaotic and unpredictable season in history, the bowl matchups are finally set.

BCS National Championship-Jan 7

LSU Tigers vs Ohio State Buckeyes

New Orleans

Rose Bowl-New Year's Day Jan 1

USC Trojans vs Illinois Fighting Illini

Pasadena, CA

Tostitos Fiesta Bowl-Jan 2

Oklahoma Sooners vs. West Virginia Mountaneers

Glendale, Arizona

And how about this!

FedEx Orange Bowl-Jan 3

Virginia Tech Hokies vs KANSAS JAYHAWKS

Miami, Florida

My Hawks are in the BCS!!! Shame we'll get our asses handed to us by VA Tech, but just to be in the BCS, that's just incredible.

And as to how I think this will play out, here are my winners:

Oklahoma over West Virginia

Virginia Tech over Kansas

USC over Illinois (my heart would love to see Illinois win, but the head says USC)

And the national premiers:

LSU over Ohio State....I hope, God I HATE Ohio State, I'm sick of them.

• 2 weeks later...

The bowling fun begins on Thursday--times are US Central and broadcasters in US

Thursday, December 20

Poinsettia Bowl--San Diego

Utah (8-4) vs. Navy (8-4)

8pm ESPN

Friday, December 21

New Orleans Bowl--New Orleans

Memphis (7-5) vs. Florida Atlantic (7-5)

7pm ESPN2

Saturday, December 22

PapaJohns.com Bowl--Birmingham

Cincinnati (9-3) vs. Southern Mississippi (7-5)

12pm ESPN2

New Mexico Bowl--Albuquerque

New Mexico (8-4) vs. Nevada (6-6)

3:30pm ESPN

Pioneer Las Vegas Bowl--Las Vegas

BYU (10-2) vs. UCLA (6-6)

7pm ESPN

Sunday, December 23

Sheraton Hawaii Bowl--Honolulu

East Carolina (7-5) vs. Boise St. (10-2)

7pm ESPN

Wednesday, December 26

Ford Motor City Bowl--Detroit

Central Michigan (8-5) vs. Purdue (7-5)

7pm ESPN

Thursday, December 27

Holiday Bowl--San Diego

Arizona St. (10-2) vs. Texas (9-3)

7pm ESPN

Friday, December 28

Champs Sports Bowl--Orlando

Boston College (10-3) vs. Michigan St. (7-5)

4pm ESPN

Texas Bowl--Houston

TCU (7-5) vs. Houston (8-4)

7pm NFL Network

Emerald San Francisco Bowl--San Francisco

Maryland (6-6) vs. Oregon St. (8-4)

7:30pm ESPN

Saturday, December 29

Meineke Car Care Bowl--Charlotte

Connecticut (9-3) vs. Wake Forest (8-4)

12pm ESPN

Liberty Bowl--Memphis

Mississippi St. (7-5) vs. UCF (10-3)

3:30 pm ESPN

Alamao Bowl--San Antonio

Penn St. (8-4) vs. Texas A&M (7-5)

7pm ESPN

Sunday, December 30

Independence Bowl--Shreveport, Louisiana

Colorado (6-6) vs. Alabama (6-6)

7pm ESPN

Monday, December 31

Armed Forces Bowl--Ft. Worth, Texas

California (6-6) vs. Air Force (9-3)

11:30pm ESPN

Brut Sun Bowl--El Paso, Texas

South Florida (9-3) vs. Oregon (8-4)

1pm CBS

Humanitarian Bowl--Boise, Idaho

Fresno St. (8-4) vs. Georgia Tech (7-5)

1pm ESPN2

Music City Bowl--Nashville

Florida St. (7-5) vs. Kentucky (7-5)

3pm ESPN

Insight.com Bowl--Tempe, Arizona

Indiana (7-5) vs. Oklahoma St. (6-6)

6pm NFL Network

Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl--Atlanta

Clemson (9-3) vs. Auburn (8-4)

6:30pm ESPN

Tuesday, January 1

Outback Bowl--Tampa

Wisconsin (9-3) vs. Tennessee (9-4)

10am ESPN

AT&T Cotton Bowl--Dallas

Missouri (11-2) vs. Arkansas (8-4)--GO MIZZOU!!!

10:30am FOX

Capital One Bowl--Orlando

Michigan (8-4) vs. Florida (9-3)

12pm ABC

Gator Bowl--Jacksonville

Virgina (9-3) vs. Texas Tech (8-4)

12pm CBS

Allstate Sugar Bowl--New Orleans

Hawaii (12-0) vs. Georgia (10-2)--GO HAWAII!!!

7pm FOX

Saturday, January 5

International Bowl--Toronto

Rutgers (7-5) vs. Ball St. (7-5)

11am ESPN

Sunday, January 6

GMAC Bowl--Mobile, Alabama

Tulsa (9-4) vs. Bowling Green (8-4)

7pm ESPN

Just want to bring this around about other college football postseasons

Appalachian St. Mountaineers, the ones whose 34-32 upset over Michigan at the Big House set the stage of a very topsy turvy, all-shook-up, and wacky 2007 season, won their third consecutive I-AA (now FCS) title pummeling over Delaware 49-21. This win is the perfect bookend for their season.

Speaking of threepeats, but this is coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, Northwest Missouri St. now have suffered three consecutive championship defeats in the Division II tile game. This time the culprit is Valdosta St. with a Michael Terry TD with 22 seconds left 25-20.

Mount Union, that long-standing powerhouse in Division III football from Ohio for over a decade and a half, finally found a way to lose to Wisconsin-Whitewater in the DIII title game.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the updates, D.S., because I haven't had time to do them myself since I've been working so much over the last several days.

The Holiday Bowl was crazy, Mack Brown's stepson appeared to have touched a live ball and cost the Longhorns an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty, although that sure wasn't enough to slow them down. Arizona State sure didn't.

Greetings from warm Los Angeles. Got down here today to head to the Rose Bowl to root on my Fighting Illini! B)

I am so psyched about this. May post some pix afer the game.

HA HA HA, LA84! Go USC!!!

Bite me Durban! <_<;)

What can I say - WE SUCKED! USC simply outplayed us with their speed and we got no breaks. There was one highly questionable call for USC but it wouldn't have made any difference.

Great time however - never went before (obviously). Lost my voice but it is back now.

Congrats to Kansas! I missed the game but I was told that it was a really good one! B)

I'm kind of depressed tho now that the College Football season is almost over.

I saw the Sugar Bowl on New Year's on FOX, and I was just gutted to see how Georgia's defense just pummeled poor Colt Brennan and won't work his magic. That TD Hawaii ended up getting was not from Brennan but from his backup. Just couldn't get it against a tough defensive team from a power conference. :(

VERY glad to see Mizzou show why they should've been in a BCS game with their blasting of Arkansas at the Cotton Bowl. After 2009, the AT&T Cotton Bowl will leave the historic stadium that bears the bowl name and move to the new Dallas Cowboys' stadium that I call "Jerryworld" in honor of Jerry Jones.

Go Buckeyes! Had they won the NCAA men's D1 title in Atlanta, talk would be about winning the big college sports double.

Brut Sun Bowl: Oregon 56 South Florida 21

Roady's Humanitarian Bowl: Fresno St. 40 Georgia Tech 28

Gaylord Hotels Music City Bowl: Kentucky 35 Florida St. 28

Insight Bowl: Oklahoma St. 49 Indiana 33

Chick Fil-A Peach Bowl: Auburn 23 Clemson 20 (OT)

AT&T Cotton Bowl Classic: Missouri 38 Arkansas 7

Konika Minolta Gator Bowl: Texas Tech 31 Virginia 28

International Bowl: Rutgers 52 Ball St. 30

Capital One Bowl: Michigan 41 Florida 35

Outback Bowl: Tennessee 21 Wisconsin 17

One more game and it's all over, finally. I might be more interested if there was a bona fide NCAA Football Championship (other than the ones in the lower divisions) to look forward to as opposed to this BCS fluff. I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, if ever.

Nope, too much money to be made from the bowls...the corporate sponsors and college presidents will always resist anything that will cut into their much beloved $.

Well, the season is over. :( Oh well, only 7 more months 'til the 2008 season starts! :lol:

One of many rankings going into next season. Makes me feel better seeing USC at around #2 (depending whose poll you look at). Takes some of the sting away from the Rose Bowl. ;)

FINAL TOP 25 RANKINGS

1. LSU

2. USC

3. Georgia

4. Ohio State

5. Missouri

6. West Virginia

7. Kansas

8. Oklahoma

9. Virginia Tech

10. Texas

11. Boston College

12. Tennessee

13. Arizona State

14. Auburn

14. Brigham Young

16. Florida

17. Hawaii

18. Illinois

19. Michigan

20. Cincinnati

21. Wisconsin

22. Clemson

23. Texas Tech

24. Oregon

25. Penn State

Canada, not surprisingly, has with its universities a college football scene, but it's nowhere near as big and lucrative as their southern neighbors. Moreover, it does have an actual tournament with an outright championship--the Vanier Cup, currently played in Toronto during Grey Cup weekend. The Manitoba Bisons are the latest winners of it.

Canada's football, both pro and college, plays under the Canadian rules--12 men on a side, 110 yd field, and 3 downs instead of 4, for examples

Canada, not surprisingly, has with its universities a college football scene, but it's nowhere near as big and lucrative as their southern neighbors. Moreover, it does have an actual tournament with an outright championship--the Vanier Cup, currently played in Toronto during Grey Cup weekend. The Manitoba Bisons are the latest winners of it.

Canada's football, both pro and college, plays under the Canadian rules--12 men on a side, 110 yd field, and 3 downs instead of 4, for examples

The Vanier Cup is not always in Toronto and not always during Grey Cup week. It will be held in Hamilton next year. The Grey Cup will be held in Montreal.

CIS and university regulations prevents athletic scholarships, but letters of intent are signed and admission standards are can be bent to accommodate good athletes without the greatest of marks. UofT refuses to bend admissions standards and is why more elitist sports like water polo are competitive there but not football.

Canada's rules make for a far more exciting wide-open game. The big field makes the NFL and NCAA look like Arena Football.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sad to say I don't know much about this sport. Does any other country play the games apart from USA?

Outside of Canada and the US I do not believe any other country plays this type of football?

Actually there are several nations in the world that plays gridiron football outside of the US and Canada. Germany for example has many semi-pro American football clubs, and it's the best known after them even before the creation and unfortunate demise of NFL Europe (that ceasing of NFL Europe is a shame). Mexico surely has some with the sport being popular there. I even know of a few schools in South Africa that play (American) football.

But the talent level and mainstream exposure of the sport's domestic versions in many nations are small-time.

Actually there are several nations in the world that plays gridiron football outside of the US and Canada. Germany for example has many semi-pro American football clubs, and it's the best known after them even before the creation and unfortunate demise of NFL Europe (that ceasing of NFL Europe is a shame). Mexico surely has some with the sport being popular there. I even know of a few schools in South Africa that play (American) football.

But the talent level and mainstream exposure of the sport's domestic versions in many nations are small-time.

There is an official world cup that has been held in Italy, Germany and Japan. Ironic

Japan has the X league and lots of university teams that all lead to the Rice Bowl

1999 Results

1. Japan

2. Mexico

3. Sweden

4. Italy

5. Australia

6. Finland

2003 Results

1. Japan

2. Mexico

3. Germany

4. France

2007 Results

1. United States

2. Japan

3. Germany

4. Sweden

5. South Korea

6. France

Members of the International American Football Federation

Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Mexico, South Korea, Spain, Swede, USA Uruguay

Associate Members

Israel, Netherlands, Russia, Switzerland, Thailand

Temporary Members

Belgium, China, Czech Republic, Ireland, Moldova, Montenegro, New Zealand, Norway, Serbia, Ukraine

Archived