Madrid - Over Ambitious?

I was away for a long time but i can see things didn't change much since i left.

Madrid would host great games but a lot of cities could do the same.

I wish madrid luck,but if they think Bidding this time will convince the IOC to vote for them in 2020 they are delusional.

IOC does not feel he own anything to anyone.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was away for a long time but i can see things didn't change much since i left.

Madrid would host great games but a lot of cities could do the same.

I wish madrid luck,but if they think Bidding this time will convince the IOC to vote for them in 2020 they are delusional.

IOC does not feel he own anything to anyone.

I agree...Madrid would host a wonderful games I am sure, and I would imagine the only reason for them bidding for 2016 was to create an obligation to the IOC to vote for them in 2020 when Europe will be a potential host again (because we all know they hoenstly can't believe they will win 2016 after London 2012-at least I hope not because that is just crazy if they do)...but I am sorry if the 2020 race comes along and you have a US city (if Chicago were to lose) and a slew of other European capitals like Paris, Rome/Milan, Berlin, etc. all bidding with strong bids and a solid Olympic record the IOC, like you said, is not going to hesitate blowing them off because they don't owe anyone anything....

Although Madrid is clearly not a favourite due to London 2012 mainly, it would be a tragic mistake to dismiss them as some of you guys do...

With only four candidate cities and no huge favourite at the moment, anything can happen during the vote...

And I certainly don't think that the Madrid people are foolish enough to imagine that by bidding for 2016, they would put the IOC in a moral obligation for 2020.

geopolitics WILL kill Madrid's bid....I am sure it is strong and could host....but at the end of the day it is almost impossible for the city to pull it off...but they knew that from the start I'm sure

Geopolitics will handicap Madrid, I won't deny it, to the point where I think that Madrid winning is unlikely.

However geopolitics is just one of the many factors IOC members take into account.

The campaign is still long. Madrid has some assets (and not only technically) and could create a major upset.

Unlikely yes, impossible no.

Geopolitics will handicap Madrid, I won't deny it, to the point where I think that Madrid winning is unlikely.

However geopolitics is just one of the many factors IOC members take into account.

The campaign is still long. Madrid has some assets (and not only technically) and could create a major upset.

Unlikely yes, impossible no.

fair enough...I think that's a good way of putting it....

Althought i think Madrid has very few chance for 2016 i must recognize that it has the biggest chances to win of all the previous bid in this situation in IOC history.

There is no clear favorite and they have some backing from some ioc menbers and samaranch,if they reach the second round and that Chigago or Rio is eliminated i can see some of theirs suporters telling themselves that if they vote for madrid they will almost have no competition for 2020 or 2018 except from China and Japan but it's better thant half of europe top cities in the running.

Their biggest chance was 2012. That was a very close vote and any one of three cities could have won that with only a slight swing in the voting patterns. I don't think Madrid will come as close this time round to be honest; their best chance has, in my opinion, come and gone.

It'll be so funny if Madrid wins the right to host the 2016 games :P

Clearly, for me is not THAT impossible . I can easily see Madrid winning the final round of votes if the opponent city is Tokio or Rio . Asia again for NBC would not be great for sure , Madrid has a much more friendly timezone . And another European city hosting would almost guarantee the 2020 games in America . If Rio's bid turns out to be weak (which is likely) , most IOC members will vote with their head, not with their heart and Madrid may win by a large difference .

It'll be so funny if Madrid wins the right to host the 2016 games :P

Clearly, for me is not THAT impossible . I can easily see Madrid winning the final round of votes if the opponent city is Tokio or Rio . Asia again for NBC would not be great for sure , Madrid has a much more friendly timezone . And another European city hosting would almost guarantee the 2020 games in America . If Rio's bid turns out to be weak (which is likely) , most IOC members will vote with their head, not with their heart and Madrid may win by a large difference .

you not only think Madrid will win based on that shoddy logic, but will win by a "large difference"....hahaha yea ok...

like Rob said, 2012 was their best chance, and it has come and gone...they will not fair too well come voting time, and will face stiff competition in future races from other European capitals

I agree...Madrid would host a wonderful games I am sure, and I would imagine the only reason for them bidding for 2016 was to create an obligation to the IOC to vote for them in 2020 when Europe will be a potential host again (because we all know they hoenstly can't believe they will win 2016 after London 2012-at least I hope not because that is just crazy if they do)...but I am sorry if the 2020 race comes along and you have a US city (if Chicago were to lose) and a slew of other European capitals like Paris, Rome/Milan, Berlin, etc. all bidding with strong bids and a solid Olympic record the IOC, like you said, is not going to hesitate blowing them off because they don't owe anyone anything....

I don't think you can really count on Berlin having the last hosting in 1936 , Paris the Last Hosting in 1924 or even Rome in 1960 as a Solid track record in the minds of the IOC that in many cases might have a few members in diapers for Berlin 1936. A new crop of IOC members like Becky Scott ,Frankie Fredericks and Saku KOIVU where not even born in 1960 when Rome hosted.

Paris certainly didn't get a pass a couple of times because of what they did in 1924 or 1900. Berlin basically the same with the 2000 bid.

Madrid will probably not be 2016 simply because Back to Back European Hosts have not happened since the 1940's . The Era before that is completely gone for Back to Back European Hosts simply Because America Sponsorship and Tv rights ultimately have put that pattern to Bed. As to the United States and 20 years between but not Spain . What you have is the United States equals the Economies of Europe combined but the US contributes about two to one to the pie for funding via NBC and the Wrold Partners compared to the entire EU. The EU has had the games since Atlanta for both winter and summer 2004 , 2006 and 2012 while the States will have it only in 2002. You Cannot not include Vancouver simply because we are not part of the Economic Block like the EU is. Even Canada has a WorldWide Olympic Partner in Manulife Compared to the EU that has one world wide partner total for all the EU countries. Canada's largest Advantage is Geography and Brazil can have that as well with their 2016 bid. Politically if the wind does not blow right for many in the IOC they can award the bid to Rio and have a Clear justification for the choice being bringing the games to South America for the first time . It also serves the purpose of getting the games to the sweet zone for Tv broadcasts in the US which is not a bitter pill to swallow for NBC if it was to go to Tokyo instead. No one out of New York or LA for a TV Network would moan about Rio where as Tokyo presents problems for Timezones for the Network and perhaps Revenues from Ratings. To think more Nations in the Asia Region have hosted the Games then the Americas and Yet the UK, Spain , France , Italy, Germany , Russia, Sweden , Belgium , Holland, Finland and Greece have all hosted the Summer Games let alone Austria , Italy , France , Germany , Yugoslavia, Norway and Switzerland among others hosting the Winter games. Taken into context of a United Europe that is more then fair.

jim jones

• 5 weeks later...

Another thing we shouldn't underestimate is Samaranch.

I dislike the man very much but i don't wish him any harm,but should he die shortly before IOC session or being very ill i could see some old IOC menbers to cast a vote for Madrid instead of their initial choice.

That could lead Madrid to an unexpected final round and then who knows?

Madrid and Tokyo are the more responsible bids, but I agree what it is unlikely, though not impossible, for Madrid and Spain to come away with the games and 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2024 all being outside of Europe. With a combination of Asian and North American/Brazilian cities.

Also a double in Europe could open the door to Cape Town 2020, though by 2013 the pressure to put a summer games in the Americas would be huge, with Toronto, New York/Chicago/Los Angeles, Mexico City and Rio de Janeiro being primed for a fight.

Well, at least now it's not impossible but unlikely! I think that if Rio or Chicago, one of them, is eliminated in the first round, Madrid could host 2016 Olympic Games. Neither Brazilians nor Americans would like the Games to be held in their continent if they can't host them, so they would vote for Madrid and that way they'll be sure Europe won't host 2020 Olympics.

Well, at least now it's not impossible but unlikely! I think that if Rio or Chicago, one of them, is eliminated in the first round, Madrid could host 2016 Olympic Games. Neither Brazilians nor Americans would like the Games to be held in their continent if they can't host them, so they would vote for Madrid and that way they'll be sure Europe won't host 2020 Olympics.

Oooh...I think it's going to be a Madrid v Chicago final round...The stakes are too high, give up on massive revenue over the games staying in Europe?..I somewhat doubt it.

Samaranch, simultaneously the saviour of the Olympic movement and yet quite possibly its worst representative, has said many times he wants to bring the games to Madrid. The Marquis is almost 90, and although he has lost friends due to the persistent corruption rumours in recent years he is not without 'clout' in the IOC. Not wishing him in the grave (although once a prominent member of a fascist government it's not like he's a war criminal), I'm sure even he recognises that he stands far greater chance of being around in 2016 than in 2020 and I don't doubt for a minute that he pushed Madrid to bid again after Singapore, and will no doubt push again if they lose in Copenhagen.

I think it is a bit redundant to compare European capitals as so many would make for wonderful games, but Madrid is a lovely city, tainted sadly with the 11-M tragedy and I hope the olympics will come to her soon, but not because of an old man's ambition for posterity.

Samaranch, simultaneously the saviour of the Olympic movement and yet quite possibly its worst representative, has said many times he wants to bring the games to Madrid. The Marquis is almost 90, and although he has lost friends due to the persistent corruption rumours in recent years he is not without 'clout' in the IOC. Not wishing him in the grave (although once a prominent member of a fascist government it's not like he's a war criminal), I'm sure even he recognises that he stands far greater chance of being around in 2016 than in 2020 and I don't doubt for a minute that he pushed Madrid to bid again after Singapore, and will no doubt push again if they lose in Copenhagen.

I think it is a bit redundant to compare European capitals as so many would make for wonderful games, but Madrid is a lovely city, tainted sadly with the 11-M tragedy and I hope the olympics will come to her soon, but not because of an old man's ambition for posterity.

Frivolous, emptiness, ridicolous and stereotyped post.you don´t know nothing about Spain or about mr.Samaranch and your reference to the 11-M is absurd and inopportune...the 7-J 2005 is an argument against London 2012? sure that no...

I'm sorry to have provoked such a hostile reaction; I realise you're not a native speaker of English, but I had thought my post was more nuanced than you suggest. I know Spain well, particularly around Lugo in the north, where I have spent many happy weeks. Apologies.

I´m sure that my english is better than your spanish because in Lugo you can only learn galician...

but apologies accepted.

• 5 weeks later...

Madrid is not over ambitious, the one who is OVER AND OVER AMBITIOUS is the Major, Ruiz Gallardon, know in MAdrid as The Pharaoh.

He wants to jump into History for whatever reason, his over sized works all over the city or the Olympics.

Also I think that being Madrid right now the city in Spain with the biggest debt and deficit he needs the Games as soon as possible because the amount of money the city will get from all over will cover the huge financial hole he has created.

Archived