Madrid - Over Ambitious?

It's only since we've had new Madrid supporters on this forum has the phrase "anglo-saxon" reappearred. As I said before, the French used it to explain their loss in 2005 (a supposed anglo-saxon conspiracy that none of them could really explain, lol). But since the more partisan French members have gone it hasn't been used since. I'm almost certain the geographical link between Madrid and London will be made quicker than the linguistic link between Chicago and London in the minds of most IOC members.

Their support figure of 67% isn't low and is fairly similar to what London's was (although it varied). 7/10 people saying "yes" to a policy would be considered a coup on any other issue.

Furthermore, London also finished third in the evaluation behind two safer looking bids; so that's not the be-all and end-all. All bids which have got to this stage are deemed capaable. The EC measures relative risk; the IOC members vote on potential opportunity weighed against the risks.

Yes, you could take all these things as negatives for Chicago, but I think the points in cslopes54's post are bigger negatives for Madrid.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because of the Royal Family Beckham.

In the bid for 2012, only the Queen went. Besides that, Madrid was competing against 3 top-tier cities internationally. In this bid, only Tokyo is at that level.

It's only since we've had new Madrid supporters on this forum has the phrase "anglo-saxon" reappearred. As I said before, the French used it to explain their loss in 2005 (a supposed anglo-saxon conspiracy that none of them could really explain, lol). But since the more partisan French members have gone it hasn't been used since. I'm almost certain the geographical link between Madrid and London will be made quicker than the linguistic link between Chicago and London in the minds of most IOC members.

Their support figure of 67% isn't low and is fairly similar to what London's was (although it varied). 7/10 people saying "yes" to a policy would be considered a coup on any other issue.

Furthermore, London also finished third in the evaluation behind two safer looking bids; so that's not the be-all and end-all. All bids which have got to this stage are deemed capaable. The EC measures relative risk; the IOC members vote on potential opportunity weighed against the risks.

Yes, you could take all these things as negatives for Chicago, but I think the points in cslopes54's post are bigger negatives for Madrid.

I've heard the word Anglo-Saxon come out of quite a few of my lecturers when referring to the English-speaking world or to the free-market capitalism model put forward by the USA, the UK and other countries like Australia. They are all British professors lecturing in a British university, so it's not that awkward.

1."linguistic link between Chicago and London" --- Its a way of life, more than only a linguistic link. Like Japan is closer to China than to Rio or Madrid. More similar ideosyncratia!

2.You know... well, it is known that one of the most important factors mentioned and taken in consideration by the IOC is the support of the population to a bid and his city. They just dont to give any chances to boicots on the games and their cities. And a whole third part of chicagos population isnt with their city and their bid. Its just a fact, but same time a very important fact. Not determinating alone, but with other facts it will determinate much about 2016.

3. London finihed 3rd in evaluation, but very close to the other 2 competitors. Dont forget this. We could say there was 3 top cities, one middlefield with NY and a low one. So London won because it was 1 of the 3 Top-Citites in the evals.

Now we have 2 top cities in the first (things may change with the final one) evaluation and 2 lower range bids with Rio and Chicago. Just facts too.

About the 4th point, I believe that the Spanish Royal Family should be Chicago's biggest worry. To start with many of the IOC members are royal personalities themselves, with whom the Royal Family has a very long and peaceful relationship, especially in the Middle East. The Spanish Royal Family is discrete compared to most European houses and is actively involved in international projects, conferences and State visits on a constant basis. It's been more than one the occasions where the King and Queen have gone on a State visit replacing the Spanish President in order to encourage economic or political relationships. They're known everywhere and they are taken seriously.

And we shouldn't forget that the King, the Queen, the Prince of Asturias and the Princesses Elena and Cristina (King's and Queen's daugthers) belong to the olympic family so they have participated in several olympic games. :rolleyes:

2.You know... well, it is known that one of the most important factors mentioned and taken in consideration by the IOC is the support of the population to a bid and his city. They just dont to give any chances to boicots on the games and their cities. And a whole third part of chicagos population isnt with their city and their bid. Its just a fact, but same time a very important fact.

It isn't - that's the point! Not nearly as important as you might think anyway. Popular support is one of the least important factors. As long as it's there and there isn't outright hostility towards a bid from its citizens (which there isn't in any of the four cities for 2016), it's taken as given during voting time. Venues, accommodation, finances, the personal whims of IOC members (i.e. where they want to spend their summer) are all much more important than what the great unwashed might or might not think.

Moscow had the best public support for 2012 if I remember correctly for all the good it did them. 67% is a decent enough figure for Chicago. IOC members will see that, think "good public support" and think no more of it when casting their votes. If Madrid wins it won't be because of a higher public support figure either; it'll be because of politics, technical superiority and perhaps a will to go for a safer games post-credit-crunch.

And we shouldn't forget that the King, the Queen, the Prince of Asturias and the Princesses Elena and Cristina (King's and Queen's daugthers) belong to the olympic family so they have participated in several olympic games. :rolleyes:

I think that Zapatero did a good movement when he took the Sports affairs and now it is in Precidet ministey, so he will have in hi own hands all sports affairs with the Lissavtsky help!! CIO can see that as a good intererst and a good movement and big implication of central govern

It isn't - that's the point! Not nearly as important as you might think anyway. Popular support is one of the least important factors. As long as it's there and there isn't outright hostility towards a bid from its citizens (which there isn't in any of the four cities for 2016), it's taken as given during voting time. Venues, accommodation, finances, the personal whims of IOC members (i.e. where they want to spend their summer) are all much more important than what the great unwashed might or might not think.

Moscow had the best public support for 2012 if I remember correctly for all the good it did them. 67% is a decent enough figure for Chicago. IOC members will see that, think "good public support" and think no more of it when casting their votes. If Madrid wins it won't be because of a higher public support figure either; it'll be because of politics, technical superiority and perhaps a will to go for a safer games post-credit-crunch.

I have read that Chicago has a pataform antiGAMES with a high percentage... i can be aproblem more that to have a good % in favour...

I have read that Chicago has a pataform antiGAMES with a high percentage

You're right there is a NoGames Chicago organisation, but you're very wrong in believing there's widespread support for it. From what I heard, their protests during the EC visit ended up being similar in scale to the anti-London protests during the EC visit to London; i.e. a ragbag of hippies and students and not much more. Hardly a huge worry.

You're right there is a NoGames Chicago organisation, but you're very wrong in believing there's widespread support for it. From what I heard, their protests during the EC visit ended up being similar in scale to the anti-London protests during the EC visit to London; i.e. a ragbag of hippies and students and not much more. Hardly a huge worry.

ahh well i simply hear it i didnt know more about it, but it always make the feelings more pufff that if this percentage dont do nothing, i mean without people againt Olipic games!...

• 2 months later...

Let's clear up a few things...

Chicago does not have intentions to bid for 2024. I honestly believe that is Chicago does not win this time, it may never host an Olympics in my lifetime. The political environment here does not favor it, especially with the current long-time mayor only in office for another 5-8 years tops.

Public support here is probably between 65-70%. That is deemed "acceptable" especially given the fact that Tokyo has support in the 50% range, and that has not eliminated them from the close pack.

No Games Chicago is a fringe group that the media likes to feature because it makes them "balanced" the group only has a few hundred actual members. When the evaluation commission was in town, only about 100-200 people showed up for their "massive" rally.

Archived