Madrid - Over Ambitious?

Madrid will top the shortlist and with help from JAS and votes spread between Tokyo, Chicago and Rio, Madrid could defy logic.

Its planned venues for its 2012 bid are actually under construction e.g. aquatic centre,tennis centre...and not a scaled down version either. That takes existing venues closer to 30!

They're certainly not meant to win, but IMO are the safest choice for the IOC in 2009. Im certainly not suggesting they are favourites but a good marketing campaign to support its top notch technical plans could surpise us.

Madrid vs Chicago...well Im certainly not ruling them out.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess that, if Madrid did confound the accepted logic, that would rule Europe out of hosting the next three Olympics after that at the very least. But I just can't see it. While I take into account Rio's Pan-American Games from earlier this year, the two major players in my view are Chicago and Tokyo. If we're going to include the recent host factor in our analysis, then Tokyo has to overcome the Beijing factor as well. Regardless of who may be the safer option come July 2009, I still feel it is Chicago's to lose.

Madrid has no chance, none at all. You have Barcelona only 24 years earlier, you have London only 4 years earlier, you have the potentially 10 members that will vote for anyone other than Madrid. Two summer games in a row is unheard of and has been for some time, the last time being London 1948 and Helsinki 1952.

Two summer games in a row is unheard of and has been for some time, the last time being London 1948 and Helsinki 1952.

And speaking of Helsinki 1952, if one is to believe the IOC website, the Finnish capital was up against -- GET THIS - 5 American cities (Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis and Philadelphia) and Amsterdam. :blink: I guess the votes were split amongst the 5 US cities which is why Helsinki won. And Amsterdam was lucky, New York did not join the fray as New Amsterdam!! :lol::lol:

Madrid has no chance, none at all. You have Barcelona only 24 years earlier, you have London only 4 years earlier, you have the potentially 10 members that will vote for anyone other than Madrid.

Yes, but Chicago has Atlanta only 20 years earlier... So, Barcelona is bad thing for Madrid. And Atlanta? Isn't it for Chicago???

The great disadvantage of Madrid 2016 is not Barcelona 1992, but London 2012 ;)

Hi you all again! Quite long since I didn't log in...

Once again, all the world vs. Madrid! :) It is funny to see how unknown is that city. It's the fourth European capital in echonomic, population terms and is perfectly able to host. Of course it won't be hosting in 2016 and still can't understand why the SOC has decided to bid again. But please... forget Barcelona! This is not about countries, is about cities. There are many cities in the world that are growing touristically and, please, any OG is a massive grown of tourism incoming. Madrid, as Doha is, is a growing city in the tourism industry.

All the latino world has to be somehow awarded with a games again. That hispanic-saxon side of the world against the anglo-saxon (as the Far East has been already awarded with that amazing Beijing 2008) deserves to have a chance.

Of course Madrid would have nothing to do if Berlin or Rome will have finally bid for 2016 (less than it has right now), but it is quite ridiculous to bash them so early. They did a good job in 2005. It is a nice place to host.

Please stop banning Madrid so unconsciously. It's just naive :)

A big hug for you all.

• 2 months later...

And probably the most important thing.

Madrid is the link of Europe with South and Central America. The most important city of the Hispanic culture. One of the most grown cities in the world during the last few years. The most realistic plans for an Olympic games are Madrid's plans... (not like London, that we had to change everything because we dont have enough money, its embarrasing!! :unsure:

• 3 months later...

London really was the worst option... So anything could happen right now. I can see even Rio hosting. And somehow I'm excited about the idea. Nevertheless, as the shortlist have been released today, the scenario is interesting: We have for sure two front-runners: Tokyo with its excellent bid and Rio, an acceptable bid with a heavy sentimental weight as a new frontier.

I don't know why, but I see the Chicago bid as a weak one. The working group report has been quite severe with them and I just see it as a non-dangerous warning trying to push them out to offer the best bid, because it isn't strong enought right now. If they fail, that could really push Madrid up on the race as this way Europe shouldn't be hosting for years.

And talking about continental rotation... Yes, it is not Madrid time, it is not Europe time. But if you take a look on the map, it will arrive a day that Europe will be needed to repeat, because it is simply the only part of the world (and I'm talking about continents, not countries) that includes a significant number of world class cities able to host.

If they don't finally bed for new frontier bids (and they should start not later than 2020), that will suppose to concentrate the games in the most concentrated part of the world, and this is Europe.

Just an opinion ;)

Yes, but Chicago has Atlanta only 20 years earlier... So, Barcelona is bad thing for Madrid. And Atlanta? Isn't it for Chicago???

The great disadvantage of Madrid 2016 is not Barcelona 1992, but London 2012 ;)

You`ve said it all! I quite agree with you.

You`ve said it all! I quite agree with you.

We all agree, I guess. Anyway, the race is just beginning and no one would had place a single bet for London in 2005 at this stage of the race. It was (and I'm afraid it still is...) a mad choice because of all that fantasy plans. Anything can happen from now on until Copenhaguen. I just want it to be a nice race. It's exciting :)

The fact that the building work has started early suggests these plans are more than fantasy. You know nothing Cinderella.

They were fantasy plans in 2005. Paris ones were not nor Madrid. At least, I do know you are British, which perfectly explains your arrogant post.

Anyway, it was not my intention to ban London. I'm sure it will host great games. The only thing I pretended to underline is that anything can happen from now on until Copenhaguen because London was extremely unlikely to host at this stage of its own race in 2004-2005. You can understand this or just feeling hurt in your English pride, but this is not my war. It's yours.

Kisses from Rome!

London really was the worst option...

Being French and all, I can't be labelled as "British arrogant" (just French arrogant I guess, which is just the next best thing).

I don't see how London was "the worst" option.

It had a more expensive, more ambitious project than Paris or Madrid but it was nevertheless a great project. And everything indicates that London is on track for making the "fantasy" come true.

They were fantasy plans in 2005. Paris ones were not nor Madrid. At least, I do know you are British, which perfectly explains your arrogant post.

Anyway, it was not my intention to ban London. I'm sure it will host great games. The only thing I pretended to underline is that anything can happen from now on until Copenhaguen because London was extremely unlikely to host at this stage of its own race in 2004-2005. You can understand this or just feeling hurt in your English pride, but this is not my war. It's yours.

Kisses from Rome!

There is nothing arrogant in stating the fact that construction work is starting months ahead of schedule. Your claim of 'fantasy' simply does not stand up.

Up yours from England!

They were fantasy plans in 2005. Paris ones were not nor Madrid.

okay.

SO ...you build a 25,000 seat aquatic centre before 2012 at the $65m cost Paris proposed and then we can talk about fantasy.

Do that and I'll consider taking your posts seriously.

Outsıde Europe Madrıd ıs not really ımmedıately assocıated as beıng one of the ımportant European capıtals.

That's why Olympic Games can be wonderful, but overall, Madrid is seen as important EU capital (the international hub of spanish speaking world) and of course of Real Madrid... :lol:

But the city don't stop to improve overall...

centersofcommerce2008xc7.png

There is nothing arrogant in stating the fact that construction work is starting months ahead of schedule. Your claim of 'fantasy' simply does not stand up.

Up yours from England!

Maybe my English isn't good enough yet... I was not talking about London works nowadays. I was talking about their bid in 2005. It was clearly weaker than Paris and Madrid in 2005. It was not even in the fantasies of British people... Agree?

London will host great games: do I need a Holy Bible to certify my opinion?? By the way, the arrogancy of Rob was not in stating the fact of construction works already started, but in banishing me saying "I know nothing".

Maybe my English isn't good enough yet... I was not talking about London works nowadays. I was talking about their bid in 2005. It was clearly weaker than Paris and Madrid in 2005. It was not even in the fantasies of British people... Agree?

No I don't agree with that, not for a moment. While I would concede that probably most people in this country did not expect that we would win (myself included), to say that people did not believe in the substance of the bid is clearly false, as was borne out by repeated surveys which showed thumping majorities in support.

London will host great games: do I need a Holy Bible to certify my opinion?? By the way, the arrogancy of Rob was not in stating the fact of construction works already started, but in banishing me saying "I know nothing".

The Bible bit is up to you. But to use a word like 'fantasy' was way, way wide of the mark and Rob was entirely right to draw attention to that.

• 1 month later...

Now that Madrid last Sunday was awarded the 2011 World Youth Day and did host this year's World Petroleum Congress, I hope things are not going to be too stressful for the city, in preparation for the Copenhagen decision next year. By the way, off topic here, where will the main venue for the 2011 World Youth Day be held?

Now that Madrid last Sunday was awarded the 2011 World Youth Day and did host this year's World Petroleum Congress, I hope things are not going to be too stressful for the city, in preparation for the Copenhagen decision next year. By the way, off topic here, where will the main venue for the 2011 World Youth Day be held?

in the old airport of "Cuatro Vientos"...

That hispanic-saxon side of the world against the anglo-saxon (as the Far East has been already awarded with that amazing Beijing 2008) deserves to have a chance.

Well, well, well. I will try to be as nice as I can but I think I migh forget all the History I 've learned so far. Hispanic-saxon ????

In which parallel universe exists such a term???

Archived