Madrid - Over Ambitious?

Not tryıng to sound too negatıve here but does anybody not feel that Madrıd 2016 (lıke the 2012 bıd) ıs a lıttle over ambıtıous and somewhat expectant?

I honestly cannot see the IOC gıvıng the games to Spaın soo soon after 1992. (as fantastıc as the Barcelona Olympıc were)

There are so many other cıtıes around the world.. and wıthın Europe ıtself that seem more worthy. Cıtıes lıke Berlın.. Budapest.. Istanbul and Paris come to mınd here.

Outsıde Europe Madrıd ıs not really ımmedıately assocıated as beıng one of the ımportant European capıtals.

I thınk ıt would be sad (and borıng) ıf Madrıd were to get the Games before 2032.

My opınıon.

mıke from hong kong.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome Qwerty.

Madrid's biggest problem, by far, is London not Barcelona.

As for whether they're being greedy (which is I suppose what you're saying), I don't suppose they'd see it like that when it costs them tens of millions of Euros to get together a decent bid! I tend to think it would be too soon after Barcelona and, like you, would prefer to see other European countries before Spain again. But having said that, I wouldn't be dissapointed in a Madrid Games if that's what the IOC decided (they won't for 2012, they may for 2020 or 2024). They'd do a great job.

Madrid arn't seriously in it for 2016. They're there to keep the IOC focussed on the Madrid bid for 2020 / 2024. But i agree with what your saying. There are many more worthy cities.

Spain has been very aggressive in submitting SOG and WOG bids since the Barcelona 1992 games. Maybe the Spanish Olympic committe is still on a high after winning and hosting the 1992 games:

Seville - 2004, 2008

Madrid - 2012, 2016

Jaca - 1998, 2002, 2010, 2014 (!)

Madrid will most probably not win the 2016 race (although I prefer it over Rio, after Chicago and Tokyo). I'm wondering how this will affect their next tries. There's only so much one can do with consecutive applications (eg Istanbul and Jaca). I have a feeling that Spain will make a shot for 2020 and 2024 as well (IOC: Oh look, Madrid again *groan*).

Madrid is the capital and largest city of Spain. Due to its economic output, standard of living, and market size, Madrid is considered the major financial center of the Iberian Peninsula; it hosts the head offices of the vast majority of the major Spanish companies, as well as the headquarters of three of the world's 100 largest companies. Following the restoration of democracy in 1975 and Spain's integration into the European Union, Madrid has played an increasing role in European finances, marking the city as one of the most important European metropolises.

What European capital apart from London, Paris, Moscow or Berlin is more important than Madrid? Rome? Or maybe Copenhaguen? :P

What European capital apart from London, Paris, Moscow or Berlin is more important than Madrid? Rome? Or maybe Copenhaguen? :P

Well, Rome hosts the seat of Christendom (so the spiritual UN one might say)*, is the capital city of a G8 nation (Spain isn't there yet); and the last time it hosted a SOG was 47 years ago. Spain just hosted one in its 2nd city only yesterday, ....erm, 15 years ago.

Copenhagen is the home of the Tivoli Gardens and Carlsberg and Tuborg breweries. ;)

*So if the Vatican builds a stadium, I guess they can call it the Christiandome!! :lol:

*So if the Vatican builds a stadium, I guess they can call it the Christiandome!! :lol:

Then their opening ceremony will be inspired by stories from the bible:

Creation

Adam and Eve

Noah's ark and the great flood

The burning bush

Moses and the ten commandments

Plagues of Egypt

Parting of the Red Sea

Sodom and Gomorrah

The first circumcision

The highlight will be a parade of 20 giant orbs suspended from overhead cables, each one opening to reveal live-action dioramas depecting mysteries of the rosary. :P

Well, Rome hosts the seat of Christendom (so the spiritual UN one might say)*, is the capital city of a G8 nation (Spain isn't there yet); and the last time it hosted a SOG was 47 years ago. Spain just hosted one in its 2nd city only yesterday, ....erm, 15 years ago.

Copenhagen is the home of the Tivoli Gardens and Carlsberg and Tuborg breweries. ;)

I didn't say Rome isn't an important European capital, but less important than Madrid talking economical and political importance (Milan is more important in Italy than Rome, and as important as Madrid in Europe I think). And neither I say Madrid will host the Games in 2016, we're only bidding and only God (not the Pope who lives in Rome) knows who will win...

I didn't say Rome isn't an important European capital, but less important than Madrid talking economical and political importance (Milan is more important in Italy than Rome, and as important as Madrid in Europe I think).

Rome is the political, cultural and spiritual capital of Italy. Milan is the economic powerhouse but it is an ugly city (w/ an airport named Malpensa? <_< ). Mikel, you still have your haton backwards. All the major sports venues required for a SOG in Italy are mostly in Rome. Why should they build a whole new set in an ugly city?

Rome is the political, cultural and spiritual capital of Italy. Milan is the economic powerhouse but it is an ugly city (w/ an airport named Malpensa? <_< ). Mikel, you still have your haton backwards. All the major sports venues required for a SOG in Italy are mostly in Rome. Why should they build a whole new set in an ugly city?

Milan is very ugly, like its airport. But Rome is very chaotic and its infrastructures are very old (e.g. the subway, the roads, the airport...), if you compare the Madrid Metro with the Roman one you will see a difference...

This thread is gonna be the Dumb&Dumber's sequel! :lol: Pierre&Mikel afterall you are such nice guys! ^_^

P.S: Milan ugly? Strange.. I thought it was universally known as one of the world's fashion capital. ^_^:rolleyes:

what about Madrid? Is there something else worthy of a look than the metro system?

This thread is gonna be the Dumb&Dumber's sequel! :lol: Pierre&Mikel afterall you are such nice guys! ^_^

P.S: Milan ugly? Strange.. I thought it was universally known as one of the world's fashion capital. ^_^:rolleyes:

what about Madrid? Is there something else worthy of a look than the metro system?

But the fashion of Milan isn't in the streets, it's in the catwalks... Like in Paris.

Rome is a very beautiful city and has its captivation, but you won't be able to compare the modernity and fuctionality of Madrid with the chaos of Rome...

The Madrid Metro is one of the most extensive and fastest-growing metro networks in the world, it is now the second largest metro system in Europe, second only to London's Underground. The metropolitan area of Madrid is also served by an extensive commuter rail network called Cercanías.

Madrid's first/inner freeway round ring of its 4 ones is called M-30 and carries over 330.000 cars/day.

M-30 is 30km long and it was started to built in the late sixties.

Nowadays M-30 is changing completely, is being rebuilt to improve those areas of Madrid near it, especially the west side, close to the Manzanares river, the total cost of the proyect is 3.900.000.000 euros and when finished most of the highway will be a tunnel and its capacity will be extended in 100.000 more cars/day.

The name of the project is "Madrid Calle 30" which means "Madrid 30th Street"

BEFORE

m30a8qh.jpg

AFTER

m309ea.jpg

Now you know why the Madrid Mayor is calle 'the Pharaoh'. Alberto Ruiz-Gallardón is the best.

The area is served by Barajas International Airport with a current passenger volumes range upwards of 44 million passengers per year, putting it in the top 20 busiest airports in the world. In 2006 the new Terminal 4 became the biggest European airport terminal and it doubled the capacity of the airport to more than 70 Millions passengers per year.

800pxbarajasinterior51jd.jpg

• 2 months later...

Travel to Madrid and check it :)

Gran Vía, Alcalá Street, Plaza de Oriente, Royal Palace, Sabatini Gardens, Retiro Park, La Latina District, Madrid of the Harbsbourg, Mayor Square, Prado Museum, Thyssen Museum, Reina Sofia Museum, Salamanca District...

For the moment 51 millons passengers in airport Madrid-Barajas the last 12 months (fourth after London, Paris and Frankfurt) 300km of modern metro system, more than 150 bus lines... Perrault, Nouvel, Pelli, Foster, MVRDV, Herzog&DeMeuron, Pei, Richard Rogers (airport)... are world class architects that have already buildings in the city... Venues under construction, infraestructure under construction, 4 skyscrapers under construction...

If we speak about "global cities" Madrid and Milan are considered on the same level ahead of Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin, Lisbon, Rome, Barcelona...

With all that im just saying that Madrid is interesting enough, capable enough and dynamic enough to host Olympic Games.

A nice pick i want to share :)

vistatorredemadridr5lvkkr6.jpg[/

I completely agree with Mikel. Madrid is just trying, as London was trying for the 2016 Olympic Games that we supposed to be given to Paris for sure...

The thing is not just how important is the city (Barcelona celebrated the best Olympic Games, and is the second most important city in Spain). Madrid has being show to the world that they can host very important events and they think they are ready to bid for the biggest sport event in the world. are they over pretendious??? well, in copenhagen they will decide, but two years ago we were in singapur, and madrid almost touched the glory...

This second attemp shows that Madrid is really interested in hosting the Olympic Games, and everybody in Madrid, and Spain support MADRID2016, and that is very important.

It's not very important. It's been shown before public support (unless it's non-exsistent or completely hostile) has very little effect on a bid's chances.

London was not as big an outsider for 2012 as Madrid is for 2016 simply because geography was on London's side in 2012 whilst it isn't on Madrid's for 2016. So comparing the two races isn't quite right.

Madrid is the capital and largest city of Spain. Due to its economic output, standard of living, and market size, Madrid is considered the major financial center of the Iberian Peninsula; it hosts the head offices of the vast majority of the major Spanish companies, as well as the headquarters of three of the world's 100 largest companies. Following the restoration of democracy in 1975 and Spain's integration into the European Union, Madrid has played an increasing role in European finances, marking the city as one of the most important European metropolises.

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that Madrid is one of Europe's leading capital cities. What I personally don't understand is why the Spanish Olympic Committee have put Madrid forward for 2016 when there is no realistic chance of winning. Would a more sensible option have been a Seville?

Well, madrid is only one capital city in Europe among all the most important european capital cities without celebrating Olympic Games. That one of the reason they choose Madrid. Accomodation is another reason, seville needs much more hotel. A good point for Seville is that they have got a good Stadium, built for the Athlete World Championships in 1999.

Anyway, in madrid, most of the pabiliums, arenas, stadium are already done, so there is not a big economical lost is we dont win in Copenhagen. We have got a big sport culture in Spain, and most of them will be used again (except Beisbol stadium for example)

Well, madrid is only one capital city in Europe among all the most important european capital cities without celebrating Olympic Games. That one of the reason they choose Madrid. Accomodation is another reason, seville needs much more hotel. A good point for Seville is that they have got a good Stadium, built for the Athlete World Championships in 1999.

Anyway, in madrid, most of the pabiliums, arenas, stadium are already done, so there is not a big economical lost is we dont win in Copenhagen. We have got a big sport culture in Spain, and most of them will be used again (except Beisbol stadium for example)

baseball and softball in 2016 olympics? noooooo

haha,Madrid have two baseball stadia (La Elipa and Rivas-Vaciamadrid) too ,but I don´t think that the baseball can return to the olympics...

It can if half the IOC members approve it _ the new formula for sports will allow for the hosts to propose two optional sports for the gam,es. In Chicago's case, if they win, I'm sure baseball and softball would be at the top of their list.

I understand the logic of choosing Madrid when there is a realistic chance of winning. But why play your best card when the odds are stacked against you?

Archived