Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rob.

07/08 Uefa Cup

Great result for Rangers who could really have a season to remember if everything goes their way. Was hoping Spurs could get to the final under Juande, but since that dream ended a while ago I want to see Rangers grab the trophy now.

Wow, I've just read this in the paper this morning. :huh:

Zenit fans are racist, admits Dick Advocaat

As 10,000 Zenit St Petersburg fans prepare to head to Manchester for the Uefa Cup final against Rangers on Wednesday week, the club's manager has accused supporters of racism.

Up to 10,000 Zenit fans are set to apply for visas for the final in the City of Manchester Stadium on May 14, with the British consulate in St Petersburg making clear they will streamline red tape to enable fans to travel without problems.

But Dick Advocaat has revealed in a Russian interview that he was unable to recruit Brazilian players because the first question Zenit fans asked when a signing was imminent was: "Is he black?"

The former Holland boss added that he would have to ask his fan's permission before buying a black player - and that they were unlikely to give it.

"I would be happy to sign anyone, but the fans don't like black players," he revealed. "Quite honestly, I do not understand how they could pay so much attention to skin colour.

"Frankly, the only players who can make Zenit stronger are dark skinned. But for us it would be impossible."

Zenit, whose No 1 fan is President elect Dmitry Medvedev, who takes office in the Kremlin on Wednesday, are the only club in Russia not to have had a black player.

When Advocaat, a former Rangers manager, tried to sign Frenchman Mathieu Valbuena recently, the first question on fans websites was: "Is he a negro?"

The manager said: "The fans are the most important thing that Zenit have. That's why I have to ask them outright how they'll react if we sign a dark skinned player for Zenit.

"At least two times a year we meet with the fans. I hope we'll have an opportunity to talk to them about this racist issue soon.

Zenit supporters have been accused of racism several times in recent months.

In March some of Olympique Marseille's black players complained that Zenit fans made monkey noises and hurled banana skins at them during their Uefa Cup tie.

In November, Cameroon midfielder Serge Branco, who played in the Russian League for Krylia Sovetov Samara last year, said: "Each time I play in St Petersburg I have to listen to racist insults from the stands.

"Zenit bosses do not do anything about it which makes me think they are racists too."

Link

Wow, I've just read this in the paper this morning. :huh:

Link

We know Russians very well in Africa that they are racists so, it's not a new thing to we black Africans. I only laugh at them cos they are taking the role of Richie(Who almost eliminated them in WW II). And, this also explains the level of their thinking.

Russian is the last place I will ever like to go for the rest of my life.I want to quickly say here that,I wonder what Gazprom is looking for in Nigeria. I hope the Nigerian government wouldn't give them the chance to invest in the gas sector when better nations like USA, England,France, Japan,China,etc are there to do something good.

truely, I have never admire a Russian for once cos of their views about less important thing like skin color, views on military force, communism, and the worst they seem to claim Orthodox christianity and muslim. There's another thing about themn they want others to view them as gods---What a bullshit!

If they don't want blacks in their team it ok and they can go to hell with that cos they aren't GOD who is immortal. I don't know why I am defending my colour here but Russians are just too notorious about skin colour. Maybe they are just too jealous about blackman skin that can adapt to any environment.LOL!

For some reason Zenit might probably loose the match, and when they do, it going to be shame on them!

Hahahah and to think that most taken almost for sure a Bayern-Fiorentina final (as far as it would have sounded better for publicity) and whereas.. Zenit and Rangers to Manchester! :D

btw what an amazing Catenaccio by the annoying scottish.. worthy of the oldest italian school, really (just imagine how the commnets would be changed in negative if we were talking about an italian team :rolleyes: ).

Bad luck and uncalculated number of lost shots did the rest. Unfair result for the talented Fiorentina anyway.

Hahahah and to think that most taken almost for sure a Bayern-Fiorentina final (as far as it would have sounded better for publicity) and whereas.. Zenit and Rangers to Manchester! :D

btw what an amazing Catenaccio by the annoying scottish.. worthy of the oldest italian school, really (just imagine how the commnets would be changed in negative if we were talking about an italian team :rolleyes: ).

Bad luck and uncalculated number of lost shots did the rest. Unfair result for the talented Fiorentina anyway.

Oh do come on. I listened to most of extra time on the radio and it sounded to me like Fiorentina's main problem was their own poor finishing. You can make as many chances as you want but if you don't take them, you don't deserve to go through. Simple as that.

And complaining about defensive play? Given the historic reputation of Italian football for defensive football, isn't it a bit rich to moan when the roles are reversed?

I think that was his point Arwebb! :D

Catenaccio = ultra defensive tactics. i.e. given that we've always hated Italian tactics we can't then celebrate when one of teams wins that way. That's what Rei was saying.

Understandable POV in some ways, but sounds like nothing more than sour grapes to me.

I don't hate defensive play. Defensive play, done well, is an artform in itself. Believe me, I'd like to see some defensive play for my team every now and then. What I don't like are double standards.

Munich is going to easily win this thing, no team is remotely at their level and quality.

Too true Faster! :lol:

Sorry, that was unfair. Just accidently clicked on page 1 of this thread rather than the last page and saw that post. I thought Spurs might win it, so who am I to talk! :P

I don't hate defensive play. Defensive play, done well, is an artform in itself. Believe me, I'd like to see some defensive play for my team every now and then.

Oh yes I agree. Everyone knows my team could have done with some good Catenaccio most of this season! That and a good 'keeper.

Too true Faster! :lol:

Sorry, that was unfair. Just accidently clicked on page 1 of this thread rather than the last page and saw that post. I thought Spurs might win it, so who am I to talk! :P

I think my solitary :( summed up my feelings. Russia is a hard country to play in but Munich should have been better. I am use to disappointments in sporting events (Munich's disaster last year, Germany losing to Italy in 2006, my hockey team not making the playoffs on the final day of the season last year and going out 4-0 this year, Germany losing the final in 2002, the disaster that was Germany in 2004, Patriots losing after 18-0, now I know what its like to be an England supporter :lol: )

Understandable POV in some ways, but sounds like nothing more than sour grapes to me.

sour grapes? not really. It only disappointed me seeing a team with some good young talents and sparkling play as Fiorentina out of the final. That's it. I admit my unfair was a little overdo. Their victory was clearly fair but I think Fiorentina would have deserved more.

You can make as many chances as you want but if you don't take them, you don't deserve to go through. Simple as that.

Quite arguable point. There's also a factor called Luck.

So they were relying on that were they? Unlucky isn't the same as deserving; Arwebb's right. Sorry Rei, using luck in an argument about who deserves to go through doesn't wash.

Oh yes, how silly of me. Rangers were so lucky to beat Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon AND Fiorentina to reach the UEFA Cup final, weren't they?

BTW Rob - I hope for your sack that the worst sports management group in the world don't go through with the purchase of Tottenham that has been rumored over here, within 2 years they'll be in the 3rd division.

BTW Rob - I hope for your sack that the worst sports management group in the world don't go through with the purchase of Tottenham that has been rumored over here, within 2 years they'll be in the 3rd division.

Maple Leaf Consultants or something like that isn't it? Yes, I've heard about this and I hear they've got a record of buying clubs and investing very little afterwards; certainly the Canadians on the Spurs forum I post on are saying exactly the same sort of things you've just said about them so I hope it remains a rumour and nothing more. ENIC are doing a decent job at the moment and Daniel Levy is a very shrewd businessman and one of the best Chairman in the Premier League. I don't want to see any change at the moment (apart from amongst some of the playing staff) as a season of stability is what we need next year.

Maple Leaf Consultants or something like that isn't it? Yes, I've heard about this and I hear they've got a record of buying clubs and investing very little afterwards; certainly the Canadians on the Spurs forum I post on are saying exactly the same sort of things you've just said about them so I hope it remains a rumour and nothing more. ENIC are doing a decent job at the moment and Daniel Levy is a very shrewd businessman and one of the best Chairman in the Premier League. I don't want to see any change at the moment (apart from amongst some of the playing staff) as a season of stability is what we need next year.

Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment, absolutely terrible management. They aren't the only ones interested in Tottenham, a Denver based sports group is also interested in the Spurs.

Oh yes, how silly of me. Rangers were so lucky to beat Panathinaikos, Werder Bremen, Sporting Lisbon AND Fiorentina to reach the UEFA Cup final, weren't they?

Oh great, you misunderstood for the nth time what I said.. Do you you do it on purpose?

I don't think I've misunderstood you at all. You come across as being extremely bitter. By the way, have you ever heard of sarcasm?

Sarcasm is often an unexpected harsh or bitter remark met to harm a person or persons.