07/08 Uefa Cup

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2007/08 UEFA Cup first round

Team named first at home first (reversals tbc)

1st leg: 20 September

2nd leg: 4 October

FC Midtjylland (DEN) v FC Lokomotiv Moskva (RUS)

FC Groningen (NED) v ACF Fiorentina (ITA)

FK Rabotnicki (MKD) v Bolton Wanderers FC (ENG)

Sevilla FC (ESP, holders) / AEK Athens FC (GRE) v FC Salzburg (AUT)

1. FC Nürnberg (GER) v AFC Rapid Bucuresti (ROU)

Everton FC (ENG) v FC Metalist Kharkiv (UKR)

FC Zenit St. Petersburg (RUS) v R. Standard de Liège (BEL)

Bayer 04 Leverkusen (GER) v UD Leiria (POR)

Villarreal CF (ESP) v FC BATE Borisov (BLR)

FC Sion (SUI) v Galatasaray SK (TUR)

Club Atlético de Madrid (ESP) v Kayseri Erciyesspor (TUR)

FC Girondins de Bordeaux (FRA) v Tampere United (FIN)

Panathinaikos FC (GRE) v FC Artmedia Petržalka (SVK)

AC Sparta Praha (CZE) v Odense BK (DEN)

FC Zürich (SUI) v Empoli FC (ITA)

FC Sochaux-Montbéliard (FRA) v Panionios GSS (GRE)

SK Rapid Wien (AUT) v RSC Anderlecht (BEL)

FC Paços de Ferreira (POR) v AZ Alkmaar (NED)

UC Sampdoria (ITA) v Aalborg BK (DEN)

FC Spartak Moskva (RUS) v BK Häcken (SWE)

Hammarby (SWE) v SC Braga (POR)

Larissa FC (GRE) v Blackburn Rovers FC (ENG)

FK Mladá Boleslav (CZE) v US Città di Palermo (ITA)

NK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO) v AFC Ajax (NED)

Stade Rennais FC (FRA) v PFC Lokomotiv Sofia (BUL)

SK Brann (NOR) v Club Brugge KV (BEL)

FC Bayern München (GER) v CF Os Belenenses (POR)

Aberdeen FC (SCO) v FC Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR)

SC Heerenveen (NED) v Helsingborgs IF (SWE)

Toulouse FC (FRA) v PFC CSKA Sofia (BUL)

Hamburger SV (GER) v PFC Litex Lovech (BUL)

FK Sarajevo (BIH) v FC Basel 1893 (SUI)

FK Austria Wien (AUT) v Vålerenga IF (NOR)

AIK Solna (SWE) v Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC (ISR)

Aris Thessaloniki FC (GRE) v Real Zaragoza (ESP)

FC Dinamo 1948 Bucuresti (ROU) v IF Elfsborg (SWE)

Tottenham Hotspur FC (ENG) v Anorthosis Famagusta FC (CYP)

RC Lens (FRA) v FC København (DEN)

Getafe CF (ESP) v FC Twente (NED)

Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski (POL) v FK Crvena Zvezda (SRB)

• 1 month later...

UEFA CUP DRAW

Group A

AZ Alkmaar

Zenit St Petersburg

EVERTON

Nuremburg

Larissa

Group B

Panathinaikos

Lokomotiv Moscow

Atletico Madrid

Copenhagen

ABERDEEN

Group C

Villarreal

AEK Athens

Fiorentina

Mlada Boleslav

Elfsborg

Group D

Basle

Hamburg

Stade Rennais

Dinamo Zagreb

Brann

Group E

Bayer Leverkusen

Sparta Prague

Spartak Moscow

Toulouse

FC Zurich

Group F

Bayern Munich

BOLTON

Braga

Red Star Belgrade

Aris Thessaloniki

Group G

Anderlecht

TOTTENHAM

Getafe

Hapoel Tel-Aviv

Aalborg

Group H

Bordeaux

Austria Vienna

Galatasaray

Panionios

Helsingsborgs

ROUND UP FOR BRITISH TEAMS

Bolton were drawn in the same Uefa Cup group as German giants Bayern Munich, but Everton and Tottenham will fancy their chances of making progress.

Spurs face a reunion with Anderlecht, the team they beat in the 1984 final, while Everton's main threat is likely to come from Dutch side AZ Alkmaar.

Aberdeen must overcome Greek outfit Panathinaikos and Atletico Madrid.

But it is Bolton, with Portuguese side Braga and Red Star Belgrade joining Bayern, who face the stiffest test.

Each team will play two matches at home and two away with the group stage starting on 25 October, with the top two going through to the knockout rounds.

• 3 weeks later...

The team that wins this, I fear, could well be one of those who ridiculously come into the competition from the Champions League, thereby making a complete mockery of the whole thing.

By the way, Rob, what do you make of the cock-up at Spurs surrounding Jol's sacking? To be perfectly honest, if the board of directors of my team had behaved in that manner I'd be ashamed to be a supporter.

I wouldn't say ashamed as there's much more to THFC than our board. I think confused is the right word.

On the one hand Jol has been treated badly and the board could have handled the whole thing much better. He's been our most successful manager for years and it's a shame to see him go. It was clear he and the board weren't getting on long before the Ramos thing hit the headlines and really he should have been removed in the summer rather than now. Also, people go on about us spending tens of millions over the summer but it wasn't Jol who spent that money, it was our DoF, Damien Comolli who is much closer to the board. Jol was made to work with what he was given and apparently didn't get players in the positions he (and most of our fans) would have wanted (LW, Carrick-esque CM, quality and experienced CB).

On the other hand, Jol wasn't perfect either. He did, by all accounts, have a habit of letting the board know he could get a job almost anywhere he liked whenver the opportunity arose. As well as that, there are rumours (I don't know how true, but they were doing the rounds on Spurs forums a few months ago) that he went behind the board's back and spoke to Newcastle about managing them in the future. Also, I wonder whether as many people would be feeling sorry for Jol if he had the personality and charisma of, say, Graham Souness. Getting rid of a rarity, a man liked by almost everyone in football save the odd Arsenal fan, was always going to be difficult. Our position in the league speaks for itself and the longer Jol carried on as manager with the board not backing him, the worse it was going to get. In the end he had to go, whether it was right or wrong and regardless of the bad publicity it would generate for our great club.

Jol's gone and we can't do anything about that. What I'm concerned with now is the future:

If the board genuinly believed Jol could take us no further than I'm happy they're trying to move the club forward; an ambitous but clumsy board is surely better than an apathetic one. I'm also happy that we will get a replacement almost straight away, a man who was being linked with the likes of Chelsea, Real Madrid etc. only a few months ago. In many ways that's one hellava coup for our club. Given the fact there isn't much to chose between the Premier League and La Liga it's comparable to an underachieving Spanish club sacking their manager then replacing him with a manger from our top 4 mid-season. Watching Seville play in the UEFA Cup last season, I love their style of football (for the most part). Two fast wingers (Lennon will thrive under Ramos), hard work, solid defence; everything we need at the moment. The only thing I didn't like, and I hope this doesn't creep into our team, was their play-acting and the amount of fouls they committed.

Havin said that, I'm concerned that our policy of buying youth has gone too far and whilst our DoF is great at spotting young talent, I'm not so sure he has the clout to get expererienced in-form players on our books. It's all very good buying for the future but that's partly why we're in the bottom three; we've not been buying enough experience in. If Bale (who I really, really rate), Kaboul, Boeteng, Lennon, Tarabt, Huddlestone etc. all reach their potential we could have a great team in a few years but they won't stick around if we're not successful enough.

We'll see how it goes. Thanks for asking the question btw, it was good to get my thoughts down.

Good luck Jol, I'm sure he'll be a great manager for Holland (or dare I say it, England!) in the future. As for the future, it's time to start singing: We could be heroes, just for Juande...

Oh dear, that's weak.

I have to say I will always recall Jol's time at Spurs with fondness, simply because of his finest hour at Blundell Park. After that game, it would have been very easy for him to moan and complain because things hadn't gone for them, but he didn't. I was very taken by the classy manner in which he conducted himself. And in recent weeks, when he's been treated so shabbily, I don't think anyone could have failed to be impressed by his dignity. I for one wish him every success in the future.

Had to bring that up didn't you?! I think the point when I really realised Jol was a lot more dignified than other EPL manangers was when he didn't moan and whinge about the infamous "goal that never was". He was more than entitled to slag of the officials then but chose not to.

carrol012wl.gif

spursgoal.jpg

Had to bring that up didn't you?!

But of course. :lol: When you're suffering as much rubbish, incompetence and probably worse as we are at the moment, you recall moments like that with misty-eyed nostalgia. But seriously, I remember thinking Jol conducted himself extremely well that night and that he was a credit to himself and his club. Shame others haven't been as classy.

Still, anything that disrupts Leeds United must always be welcomed.

• 5 months later...

Crazy match yesterday.

A messy Bayern suffers the loss in regular times till Ribery equalizes at 89 (two more goals were denied of which one pretty arguable). Getafe get ahead with two goals in the extra times. When it seems almost finished, Toni scores twice in the very last minutes. Ends 3-3. Bayern passes. Pity for a good Getafe.

other results

Zenit 0-1 Leverkusen

Sporting 0-2 Rangers

PSV 0-2 Fiorentina

Semi

Rangers-Fiorentina

Bayern Munchen-Zenit

• 2 weeks later...
Anybody watch either of tonight's semi-final ties?

As for Rangers-Fiorentina you didn't miss much. Kinda boring. Rangers clearly played mostly difensively and Fiorentina couldn't push as they would have wanted.

didn't see Bayern-Zenit but it's surprising how Die Roten can shoot theirself in the foot. :huh:

Decent result for Rangers, and Fiorentina should be very wary on Thursday night. Much as I fear Rangers' heavy recent schedule may count against them in the end, I still would not be surprised to see them get through to the final.

Archived