Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rei

07/08 Uefa Champions League

In case , you didn't know , Hamburger University actually exist . What did you studied ? How to crack a walnut ?

Stop fooling yourself, my boy. It's not by wearing glasses and look like harry porter that make you a good student. But studious and hard working toward a goal.

Am educated to serve my community not to crack walnut for Singaporeans who don't have walnuts.

Champions League changes agreed

Between 2009 and 2012, some 22 teams will qualify directly for the UEFA Champions League group stage instead of 16, and the UEFA Champions League final will be played on a Saturday, under format changes agreed by the UEFA Executive Committee at its meeting in Lucerne, Switzerland, on Friday.

Group stage unchanged

There will be no changes to the main part of European club football's most prestigious competition, which will continue to feature 32 teams split into eight groups of four in the group stage, followed by the knockout phase. The eight sides that finish in third place in their groups will move into the knockout phase of the UEFA Cup – which also has an amended format.

Access list

However, the UEFA Champions League access list between 2009 and 2012 will change accordingly: 22 teams go through directly to the group stage instead of 16. The six additional clubs will be the third-placed sides from the associations ranked between 1 and 3 in the ranking list, and the champions of countries ranked from 10 to 12.

Qualifying routes

Ten teams will qualify through a double qualifying route – one is reserved for the champions of the associations ranked from 13 to 53, with the exception of Liechtenstein. Five clubs will qualify via this route. The other path is reserved for the non-champions of associations rated between 1 and 15.

Saturday final

The final from 2009/10 will be played on a Saturday, in the same week of the year as now, kicking off at 20.45CET. Matches in the first knockout round, featuring 16 clubs, will be split over four weeks instead of two, using dates reserved for UEFA club competitions in February and March. The third qualifying round will be marketed centrally by UEFA.

-Rest of the article-

I like the move to a Saturday final. Hopefully Wembley will stage the first one. However, I'm not convinced by the other changes.

Celtic through to the knockout stages for the second successive season, despite losing 1-0 to Milan last night. Terrific achievement. Now if only they could sort out their away form.

Uefa to take action on Anderlecht

Should we call this discinpline? Some people take the law into their hand. I beleive UEFA should be strict on discinpline in the game.

The Moscow 2008 final's promotional look has been unveiled. Designed by the agency The Works in Leeds, it's a modern interpretation of the Constructvism. It reminds some recent adv of Coca Coal and Vodafone.

8g4b2j5.jpg

Arsenal has been drawn with AC so its kind of hard. We should have finished 1st and ended up with Fenerbahce XD

Celtic v Barcelona

Lyon v Manchester United

Schalke v Porto

Liverpool v Inter Milan

Roma v Real Madrid

Arsenal v AC Milan

Olympiakos v Chelsea

Fenerbahce v Sevilla

Arsenal has been drawn with AC so its kind of hard. We should have finished 1st and ended up with Fenerbahce XD

Celtic v Barcelona

Lyon v Manchester United

Schalke v Porto

Liverpool v Inter Milan

Roma v Real Madrid

Arsenal v AC Milan

Olympiakos v Chelsea

Fenerbahce v Sevilla

Tough draws for Arsenal and Liverpool, but I wouldn't put it past either of them to get through. I expect Chelsea and Manchester United to qualify, but it will be a major upset if Celtic get past Barcelona.

Tough draws for Arsenal and Liverpool, but I wouldn't put it past either of them to get through. I expect Chelsea and Manchester United to qualify, but it will be a major upset if Celtic get past Barcelona.

Celtic v Barcelona

Lyon v Manchester United

Schalke v Porto

Liverpool v Inter Milan

Roma v Real Madrid

Arsenal v AC Milan

Olympiakos v Chelsea

Fenerbahce v Sevilla

Roman is good but am ticking Barcelona FcC of Spain.

mmm.. a full 2days of big matches here with a special note to the double England vs. Italy.

19/2

Schalke - Porto

Roma - Real Madrid

Olympiacos - Chelsea

Liverpool - Inter

20/2

Celtic - Barcelona

Lyon - Man. United

Fenerbahçe - Sevilla

Arsenal - Milan

Hopefully Celtic or Manchester United will win

As much as I'd like to think otherwise, it's hard for me to see any more than two of the British clubs making it through to the last eight. Chelsea and Manchester United should go through. Arsenal have some chance. I certainly wouldn't write off Celtic at home, but their away form will do for them. And, even though they rested key players on Saturday, how can you realistically tip Liverpool to beat Inter when they couldn't get past Barnsley?

..And, even though they rested key players on Saturday, how can you realistically tip Liverpool to beat Inter when they couldn't get past Barnsley?

Considering their national leagues, yes, you would mostly see Inter over Liverpool. But speaking of Europe, Liverpool tend to be more confident and successful compared to Inter.

Be that as it may, Liverpool are under massive pressure after their FA Cup defeat on Saturday. This is their last hope of winning a trophy this season and they need to win it if Benitez is going to have a job there come August.

With Liverpool's sudden mountain of debt and the instablity running through the club I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the "big four" (I hate that phrase) turn into the "big three" in the coming seasons with Liverpool not competing with the top 3 but with the teams immediately below them. Certainly in terms of finances, if not in terms of stature, Liverpool are in a bracket below the top 3 and are more comparable to clubs like Spurs, Villa and Man City.

They are on shaky ground at the moment. I feel for their fans somewhat after their owners broke their initial promises, but I have to say a move away from the monotony of having a Premiership "big 4" would be quite refreshing.

I'm hoping we could see the big three or four become a big seven or eight if the likes of Aston Villa, Manchester City and Newcastle can get their acts together.

Newcastle won't break into that group. They're like we were 6 or 7 years ago; a rudderless ship full of supposedly big-name, overly-paid players and a manager bought in to appease the fans. Villa, Man City and Spurs are the three most likely to break into the CL places ahead of Liverpool over the next few seasons imho.

But a big seven or eight, although I'd love it, is not going to happen. Chav$ki, Man Utd and Ar5ena1 are all pulling away at a scary rate of knots. As I said, I think it's much more likely Liverpool will drift away from the top 3 into the group of three or four clubs below than many of those clubs catching up and forming a "big eight".

I look round St James' Park and I see massive potential. Then again, I guess we could have been saying that for most of the last 40 years. If they get the management right, and I accept that there are issues there at the moment, then they will be a force to be reckoned with again. It's not that long ago that they were in the top four and, with the fan base they have, they could conceivably get there again. I will concede, though, there are more likely options at the moment, but I really do believe the big four could swell its membership before too long and that would be a good thing.

Turning back to tonight, Liverpool have started very well against Inter but they need a goal. 0-0 after 19 minutes but Liverpool have had all the attacking play.