07/08 Uefa Champions League

Rei

Today evening (18:00) the group stage draws in Monaco.

Ranking list:

POT1

Arsenal, Barcelona, Chelsea, Inter, Liverpool, Manchester United, AC Milan, Real Madrid

POT2

Aek/Sevilla*, Benfica, Lyon, Porto, Psv Eindhoven, Roma, Valencia, Werder Brema

POT3

Celtic, Cska Moscka, Lazio, Olympique Marseille, Schalke 04, Sporting Lisboa, Steaua, VFB Stuttgart

POT4

Besiktas, Dinamo Kiev, Fenerbahce, Olympiakos, Rangers, Rosenborg, Slavia Praha, Shakhtar

*Second leg to play in 3/9.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everytime GLasgow hosts a European final it is always very unique, and memorable, ranging from the game itself to the weather, atmosphere and the people. I think Glasgow, and Hampden should become the spiritual home of the Uefa Chmpions League and Uefa Cup.

Everytime GLasgow hosts a European final it is always very unique, and memorable, ranging from the game itself to the weather, atmosphere and the people. I think Glasgow, and Hampden should become the spiritual home of the Uefa Chmpions League and Uefa Cup.

With that you don't mean to stage perpetually those finals in Glasgow? Or sort of like Athens is the spiritual home of the Olympics, but they can freely be staged in other cities?

Anyway, Porto was the blessed one out of the Portuguese teams. Champion's little star ;)

With that you don't mean to stage perpetually those finals in Glasgow? Or sort of like Athens is the spiritual home of the Olympics, but they can freely be staged in other cities?

Anyway, Porto was the blessed one out of the Portuguese teams. Champion's little star ;)

I dont mean have the finals played in glasgow every year, just that when people think of great european finlas, the glasgow ones will spring to mind,plus Uefa hold hampden and GLasgow in very high regards.

Why are you mentioning Hampden Park, the final is at Luzkniki Stadium in Moscow and next year at Stadio Olimpico in Rome. And I assume that in 2010 Spain would be long overdue to host the final.

The German teams are not in the greatest of positions, oh well.

Why are you mentioning Hampden Park, the final is at Luzkniki Stadium in Moscow and next year at Stadio Olimpico in Rome. And I assume that in 2010 Spain would be long overdue to host the final.

Yes, Spain's last European Champions Clubs' Cup/Champions League final was in 1999, in Barcelona's Camp Nou.

But don't you think Portugal is even longer overdue? The first and last time that we had one was in 1967, at the National Stadium near Lisbon, when Celtic beat Inter (the "Lisbon Lions"). Now that we have refurbished stadia, I don't see why we can't have a CL final, in Luz Stadium at least (65,000). True, we had the UEFA Cup final in Lisbon two years ago, but Glasgow had the 2001/02 CL and 2006/07 UEFA Cup finals.

If we don't have one soon, I don't think we'll ever get the chance:

Other ideas that Mr Platini put forward in Monaco include a wish that for major finals, 75 per cent of the spectators should be fans, rather than commercial partners, sponsors or VIPs. In addition, he proposed the playing of the UEFA Champions League final at weekends to enable more families and children to attend the match, and expressed the wish that the final should be played in a large modern stadium designed for football with a minimum capacity of 70,000 places. "I did not see any children at the [recent] final in Athens," said the UEFA President. "If the final were to be played on a Saturday evening, families and children could go to see the match."

Link: Format proposals on agenda (UEFA)

One condition for the host of the Champions League is that the stadium is a UEFA 5-Star Stadium, Portugal does have 3, Estadio da Luz, Estadio do Dragao and Estadio Jose Alvalade, though the later two don't have the capacity to make them attractive to UEFA.

I would like to see Wales and Millennium Stadium host soon, its the only nation with a venue to host to not host. Also Landsdowne Road would also be a good choice in a bit when its finished but its a bit small.

The last report I heard was that 2010 was destined for Wembley.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's start!

18 September, 20.45

Marseille - Beşiktaş

Porto - Liverpool

Chelsea - Rosenborg

Schalke - Valencia

Real Madrid - Bremen

Olympiacos - Lazio

Milan - Benfica

Shakhtar - Celtic

19 September, 20.45

Rangers - Stuttgart

Barcelona - Lyon

Roma - Dynamo Kyiv

Sporting - Manchester United

PSV - CSKA Moskva

Fenerbahçe - Inter

Arsenal - Sevilla

Slavia - Steaua

I've heard that Valencia would like to host the final sometime after the new Mestalla stadium will be finished (around 2009).

I autoquote myself because this week we've known that Valencia CF and the city council have sent a letter to UEFA in order to make official their bid for the 2011 Champions League's Final!

Let's make a little prediction based on my favourite team :P

18 September, 20.45

Marseille - Beşiktaş 2-0

Porto - Liverpool 0-1

Chelsea - Rosenborg 2-0

Schalke - Valencia 1-1

Real Madrid - Bremen 3-1

Olympiacos - Lazio 0-1

Milan - Benfica 2-0

Shakhtar - Celtic 0-1

19 September, 20.45

Rangers - Stuttgart 0-1

Barcelona - Lyon 1-1

Roma - Dynamo Kyiv 3-0

Sporting - Manchester United 1-1

PSV - CSKA Moskva 1-0

Fenerbahçe - Inter 0-1

Arsenal - Sevilla 2-1

Slavia - Steaua 1-0

You seem to give great confidence to the italian teams. Too much than they would deserve, I think. :D

there is 4 italian teams in champions league this season

Olimpiakos - Lazio 0 - 1 I'm LAZIALE :lol:

Milan - Benfica 2 - 0, we know Milan, what they can do in european....

Roma - Dinamo Kyiv 3 - 0 I think they're in different level...

Fenerbahce - Inter 0 - 1, they also in different level, but I think i'll make revision about some italian team's prediction

Roma - Dinamo Kyiv 2 - 0

Fenerbahce - Inter 0-0... :D

Archived