2007 - 2008 Isu Figure Skating Season

2007-2008 Season officially ends. The road to Los Angeles officially starts.

Grand Prix Schedule

Skate America, Everett, WA - 24-26 October

Homesense Skate Canada International, Ottawa, ON - 30 October - 02 November

Cup of China, China (host city TBA) - 06 - 09 November

Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, France (host city TBA) - 13 - 16 November

Cup of Russia, Russia (host city TBA) - 20 - 23 November

NHK Trophy, Japan (host city TBA) - 27 - 30 November

ISU Grand Prix Final, TBA - 11 - 14 December

2009 European Figure Skating Championships, Helsinki, Finland - 19 - 25 January

2009 Four Continents Figure Skating Championships, Vancouver, British Columbia - 02 - 08 February

2009 World Figure Skating Championships, Los Angeles, California - 23 - 29 March

So these recently concluded Worlds at Goteborg were the most widely distributed:

Canada (3 medals), France (2 medals), 1 each for China, Germany, Italy, Japan, South Korea, Russia and the USA.

Why doesn't Norway have more figure skating stars? What happened after Sonja Henie?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can also ask the same for question for Sweden. After Gillis Grafstrom. Sweden used to be so dominant in the early days. One of the Swedish skaters even had a jump named after him the salchow. Though at least Sweden will have 2 men's entries next year in Los Angeles. Austria seems to have fallen on the hard times as well. No Austrians have managed to mount the podium after 1972. Trixi Schuba's is regarded as the biggest beneficiary of the school figures and a lot of people have questioned her victories especially after seeing American Janet Lynn and Canada's Karen Magnussen.

you can also ask the same for question for Sweden. After Gillis Grafstrom. Sweden used to be so dominant in the early days. One of the Swedish skaters even had a jump named after him the salchow. Though at least Sweden will have 2 men's entries next year in Los Angeles. Austria seems to have fallen on the hard times as well. No Austrians have managed to mount the podium after 1972. Trixi Schuba's is regarded as the biggest beneficiary of the school figures and a lot of people have questioned her victories especially after seeing American Janet Lynn and Canada's Karen Magnussen.

Well, Sweden had 2 men at these World's, and there was the Finnish gal. But considering the Norwegian muscle in the winter outdoor sports, it's truly strange that their (the Sandinavians) figure skating tradition is barely existent. Even Denmark, where with the absence of mountains; therefore, the Danes could turn to flatter, indoor sports like figure skating -- after all, they are great followers of indoor Team Handball, barely produces any figure skaters these days.

I wonder if it might be the cost. They flashed the cost of keeping a high competitive profile for a single skater: anywhere from US$55,000 to $82,000 a year. (And add a 1/2 of that figure for the pairs and ice dancers.) I wonder when we will be seeing the first wave of star Arab figure skaters.

• 1 month later...

Here's are the official Grand Prix Events with dates and host city per ISU communication 1498 issued just a few days ago.

Skate America, 23-26 October, Everett, WA

Skate Canada International, 31 October - 02 November, Ottawa, ON

Cup of China, 06-09 November, Beijing

Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, 14-16 November, Paris

Cup of Russia, 23-23 November, Moscow

NHK Trophy, 27-30 November, Tokyo

ISU Grand Prix Final, 10-14 December, Seoul (combined junior & senior)

Important Competitions

ISU European Figure Skating Championships - 19-25 January, Helsinki

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships - 2-8 February, Vancouver, BC

ISU Junior World Figure Skating Championships - 23 February - 01 March, Ostrava, Czech Rep.

ISU World Figure Skating Championships - 23-29 March, Los Angeles, CA

BTW, here's the logo of the 2009 Los Angeles Worlds

map_hotel_lrg.jpg

Here's are the official Grand Prix Events with dates and host city per ISU communication 1498 issued just a few days ago.

Skate America, 23-26 October, Everett, WA

Skate Canada International, 31 October - 02 November, Ottawa, ON

Cup of China, 06-09 November, Beijing

Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, 14-16 November, Paris

Cup of Russia, 23-23 November, Moscow

NHK Trophy, 27-30 November, Tokyo

ISU Grand Prix Final, 10-14 December, Seoul (combined junior & senior)

Important Competitions

ISU European Figure Skating Championships - 19-25 January, Helsinki

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships - 2-8 February, Vancouver, BC

ISU Junior World Figure Skating Championships - 23 February - 01 March, Ostrava, Czech Rep.

ISU World Figure Skating Championships - 23-29 March, Los Angeles, CA

BTW, here's the logo of the 2009 Los Angeles Worlds

map_hotel_lrg.jpg

It is not surprising that the French, Chinese and Russian Grand Prix are going to be hosted where they are. Don't quote me on it, but have any of those Grand Prixs been outside of those cities yet, since the idea of these types of events first started?

The French event when it was still Trophee Lalique was held in Albertville in 1991 i think. Cup of Russia well, in St. Petersburg while Cup of China i think was held in Nanjing and Harbin.

By the way Guardian here's the tentative calendar for 2009/2010

15 - 18 Oct, Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, Venue TBA

22 - 25 Oct, Cup of Russia, Venue TBA

29 Oct - 1 Nov, Cup of China, Venue TBA

5 - 8 Nov, NHK Trophy, Venue TBA

12 - 15 Nov, Skate America, Venue TBA

19 - 22 Nov, Skate Canada, Venue TBA

3 - 6 Dec, ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, Venue TBA

I read somewhere that the 2009/2010 Grand Prix final will be once again hosted by Japan per ISU Communication No. 1477

By the way Guardian here's the tentative calendar for 2009/2010

15 - 18 Oct, Trophée Eric Bompard Cachemire, Venue TBA

22 - 25 Oct, Cup of Russia, Venue TBA

29 Oct - 1 Nov, Cup of China, Venue TBA

5 - 8 Nov, NHK Trophy, Venue TBA

12 - 15 Nov, Skate America, Venue TBA

19 - 22 Nov, Skate Canada, Venue TBA

3 - 6 Dec, ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, Venue TBA

I read somewhere that the 2009/2010 Grand Prix final will be once again hosted by Japan per ISU Communication No. 1477

Not if this year's GP finals are in Seoul. Next year's worlds are in LA; and then Feb 2010 in Vancouver; so the 2009 GP Finals will have to be in Europe -- maybe Paris or Berlin or Munich?

Hey, olympian, this is interesting that you didn't put it up. I have never heard of this event, which will be hosted in Tokyo AFTER the Los Angeles World Figure Skating Championship event. It is called the ISU World Team Trophy 2009 event and it will be hosted on April 16-19, 2009. Who came up with this idea? :huh:

2 treats from the recent World FigSk Champs in Goteborg:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1CSpZ9yK1Q (I luv the use of those twirly stix from the Rhythmic Gymnastics. Such a great blending of 2 great sports and tres, tres gaye!! :lol: and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1qCjrTUzOk...feature=related - Great synchro number but a little messy at the end.

Can anyone identify the soundtrack on this one? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLQGknDdTmk...feature=related -- artist / band/ song?

Archived