Osaka 2007

Final and official medal tally for Osaka 2007. This DOES NOT INCLUDE the wheelchair events.

1. USA -> 14 gold, 4 silver, 8 bronze = 26 medals

2. Kenya -> 5 gold, 3 silver, 5 bronze = 13 medals

3. Russia -> 4 gold, 8 silver, 4 medals = 16 medals

4. Ethiopia -> 3 gold, 1 silver = 4 medals

5. Germany -> 2 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze = 7 medals

6. Czech Republic -> 2 gold, 1 silver = 3 medals

7. Australia -> 2 gold

8. Jamaica -> 1 gold, 6 silver, 3 bronze = 10 medals

9. Bahamas -> 1 gold, 2 silver = 3 medals

10. Great Britain -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze = 5 medals

11. (tie) Belarus -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

11. (tie) China -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

11. (tie) Cuba -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

14. Bahrain -> 1 gold, 1 silver

15. (tie) Croatia -> 1 gold

15. (tie) Ecuador -> 1 gold

15. (tie) Estonia -> 1 gold

15. (tie) Finland -> 1 gold

15. (tie) New Zealand -> 1 gold

15. (tie) Panama -> 1 gold

15. (tie) Portugal -> 1 gold

15. (tie) Sweden -> 1 gold

23. Italy -> 2 silver, 1 bronze

24. (tie) Canada -> 2 silver

24. (tie) France -> 2 silver

26. Spain -> 1 silver, 2 bronze

27. Ukraine -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

28. (tie) Brazil -> 1 silver

28. (tie) Dominican Republic -> 1 silver

28. (tie) Morocco -> 1 silver

28. (tie) Norway -> 1 silver

28. (tie) Qatar -> 1 silver

28. (tie) Slovenia -> 1 silver

28. (tie) Turkey -> 1 silver

35. Poland -> 3 bronze

36. (tie) Belgium -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Cyprus -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Greece -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) JAPAN -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Kazakhstan -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Netherlands -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Slovakia -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Sri Lanka -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Switzerland -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Tunisia -> 1 bronze

36. (tie) Uganda -> 1 bronze

Total number of medals - 141 (47 of each colored medal).

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nor any doping disqualification which will change those results. Now, who could it be? :blink:

A suspect case is in investigation. I really hope that it will not be doping case! It could be anyone of athletes in Osaka, but I think most on Blonska!

I love what's been done with this stadium. Great renovation!

That's true. I hated the stadium before the renovation -- it always stayed Hitler's stadium for me, a very ugly and repellent bowl with bad origins. But now, I hardly recognise it (apart from the VIP stands which had to be preserved due to German law). Finally, it has a very modern, friendly and likeable appearance. And so it would be a worthy Olympic Stadium if the Games came once more to Berlin.

Women's High Jump

1. Blanka VLAŠIC (Croatia) -> 2.05m

2. Antonietta Di Martino (Italy) -> 2.03m (NR)

3. Anna Chicherova (Russia) -> 2.03m (PB)

To me, this is the most beautiful medal for Italy in Osaka. I'm so so glad Antonietta reached the podium after all those accidents.

So Italy brings home two silvers and one bronze.

Most of our medal hopes were confirmed (Howe, Schwazer and Di Martino) except for the olympic holder Ivano Brugnetti in the 20km walk. An other important result, even if out of the podium, came from the women triple jump with Magdelin Martinez placing 6th. Good performance by the women team in the marathon reaching the 5th place in the world cup.

Anyway not bad considering the big Crash of Helsinki! I can't wait to see all them (adding Baldini who withdrawn Osaka to completely dedicate himself to Beijing) next year. B)

Men's 5,000m

1. Bernard Lagat (USA) -> 13:45.87

2. Eliud Kipchoge (Kenya) -> 13:46.00

3. Moses Ndiema Kipsiro (Uganda) -> 13:46.75

The field gave Lagat the gold medal on a plate for me. There was a tediously slow pace for much of the race as nobody made it a true distance running test. The longer it went on, the more inevitable a Lagat victory became.

Pleased to see Mo Farah finish as close to the medals as he did. More to come from him I reckon.

Sadly, the German team has to finish the WCH with a slight disappointment since Kamghe Gaba, runner in the German men's 4x400 team, collided with Poland's Daniel Dabrowski at the third baton handover. The German TV presenter commented on the replay of the scene that Dabrowksi stood around on the track as if he waited for a cup of coffee. The result is that the German team, which could actually have ranked 5th or 6th, has finished last.

I noticed the British athlete, whose name escapes me, being impeded by the same incident, I think. I don't think it made the slightest difference to any chance we might have had of nicking a medal but, like the Germans, we could have finished a place or two higher. Having said that, our team, minus our best athlete, did very well to reach the final and should get better in the future.

10. Great Britain -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 3 bronze = 5 medals

Good championships for Great Britain. Before the action got underway, I'd probably have settled for two or three medals, so I'm very pleased to get five. As well as that, we have had plenty of finalists (13 top eight finishes overall), so there has been a big improvement since Helsinki.

The big theme for me in this championship has been young, hungry athletes giving it their best shot and learning from their experiences to come back better in the future. Some have achieved, maybe over-achieved, while others have not. But they'll all come back better and stronger for this experience.

If we end up with a similar medal haul in Beijing next year, I'll be happy with that. But the ultimate is, was, and remains London. We're still very much work in progress. The time to properly judge for me is in five years time. Still, I'll enjoy this success for now.

Good championships for Great Britain. Before the action got underway, I'd probably have settled for two or three medals, so I'm very pleased to get five. As well as that, we have had plenty of finalists (13 top eight finishes overall), so there has been a big improvement since Helsinki.

Funny, isn't it? We both complained beforehand what difficult times our respective athletic team is going through -- and now we "leave" Osaka with some pleasant surprises.

If we end up with a similar medal haul in Beijing next year, I'll be happy with that. But the ultimate is, was, and remains London. We're still very much work in progress. The time to properly judge for me is in five years time. Still, I'll enjoy this success for now.

The same applies to me -- but of course, our team's main target (beside Beijing) is only two years away: Berlin. For Beijing, I can only hope that we'll be as successful again -- or even more successful. But I'm a little bit mistrustful, though. For the Olympics mean a lot more a lot more fear of failure and a lot more media attention. The German swimmers could write a book about that.

Absolutely right and I expect that there will far greater attention paid to the likes of Christine Ohuruogu and Nicola Sanders to name two in the next 12 months than they will ever have experienced before. A World Championship is one thing - they come along fairly regularly. But an Olympic Games is something very different. Win there and you put yourself in the pantheon of legends forever more. Hopefully they, and others, can meet that challenge.

If he'd timed the dip better, he'd have won gold.

All the same its a great result and highly unexpected. Canada has 6 to 10 athletes that can compete for top 10's in Beijing, 4-6 in the top 5 and 2-3 in the medals, so that is a far better result going into Beijing than going into Athens.

With the 2007 World Championships now concluded, here is the updated all-time medal table. Please note that I rank based on total medals while others may rank by gold medals.

1 USA 117-61-59--237

2 USSR/ Russia 56-76-66--198

3 FR Germany/Germany 25-27-34--86

4 Kenya 27-22-22--71

5 Jamaica 7-29-29--65

6 Great Britain 13-25-26--64

7 German DR 20-18-15--53

8 Ethiopia 16-13-12--41

9 Cuba 17-16-6--39

10 Italy 10-15-12--37

11 Belarus 9-14-12--35

12 Spain 6-15-12--33

13 France 9-10-12--31

14 Morocco 10-11-8--29

15 Ukraine 7-9-11--27

16 Czechoslovakia/Czech Rep. 13-7-6--26

17 PR China 8-7-8--23

18 Poland 7-5-9--21

Romania 5-7-9--21

20 Australia 7-6-7--20

21 Finland 7-7-5--19

22 Greece 4-5-9--18

Japan 3-5-10--18

24 Bulgaria 6-3-7--16

Canada 4-7-5--16

26 Sweden 7-3-5--15

Bahamas 5-6-4--15

Portugal 5-5-5--15

29 Norway 5-3-2--10

Mexico 3-1-6--10

31 Algeria 6-1-2--9

South Africa 4-4-1--9

Brazil 0-4-5--9

Hungary 0-4-5--9

35 Switzerland 4-0-3--7

Nigeria 0-3-4--7

37 Netherlands 1-4-1--6

38 Mozambique 3-1-1--5

Estonia 2-3-0--5

Lithuania 2-2-1--5

Namibia 1-4-0--5

Trinidad and Tobago 1-2-2--5

Kazakhstan 0-2-3--5

44 Bahrain 3-1-0--4

Ecuador 3-1-0--4

Denmark 3-0-1--4

Ireland 2-2-0--4

48 Dominican Republic 2-1-0--3

Qatar 2-1-0--3

New Zealand 2-0-1--3

Zambia 1-2-0--3

Uganda 1-1-1--3

St. Kitts and Nevis 1-0-2--3

Belgium 0-0-3--3

55 Tajikistan 2-0-0--2

Senegal 1-0-1--2

Somalia 1-0-1--2

Syria 1-0-1--2

Cameroon 0-2-0--2

Djibouti 0-2-0--2

Turkey 0-2-0--2

Austria 0-1-1--2

Burundi 0-1-1--2

Ghana 0-1-1--2

Israel 0-1-1--2

Slovenia 0-1-1--2

Sri Lanka 0-1-1--2

Surinam 0-1-1--2

Slovakia 0-0-2--2

70 Croatia 1-0-0--1

DPR Korea 1-0-0--1

Panama 1-0-0--1

Bermuda 0-1-0--1

Tanzania 0-1-0--1

American Samoa 0-0-1--1

Cyprus 0-0-1--1

Dominica 0-0-1--1

Haiti 0-0-1--1

India 0-0-1--1

Saudi Arabia 0-0-1--1

Tunisia 0-0-1--1

Hello Guys, back again!!!

I will leave my girlfriend, if our next vacancies will be during the Olympic Games...

I hope you enjoyed the time without me.

So, Osaka is over and i think the German team can be satisfied. The globalisation of Athletics goes on. Panama, New Zealand, Bahrain,...

Great to see the gold medal for Heidler, after the doping throwers from Russia are facing a 2-year ban. The best competition was the Men´s high jump and the Men´s 800m run. Worst competition was, excuse me Britons, the Women´s 400m run. The overwhelming favourite, Sandy Richards not in the starting blocks and an athlete, coming back from a ban, winning the gold medal with a new PB. I doubt, the USA will throw this gold medal away for a second time next year. The British athlete must be happy to be British. Here in Germany an athlete with two missed tests would get a 2-year ban.

Dont be too harsh to the Japanese. Japan had only Murofushi as a real medal contender. You always need a few local heroes for a full stadium. Berlin will face the same problems. Helsinkis Olympiastadion has a smaller capacity and it was Finlands biggest sporting event ever. So it has a much higher interest.

Hello Guys, back again!!!

I will leave my girlfriend, if our next vacancies will be during the Olympic Games...

I hope you enjoyed the time without me.

So, Osaka is over and i think the German team can be satisfied. The globalisation of Athletics goes on. Panama, New Zealand, Bahrain,...

Great to see the gold medal for Heidler, after the doping throwers from Russia are facing a 2-year ban. The best competition was the Men´s high jump and the Men´s 800m run. Worst competition was, excuse me Britons, the Women´s 400m run. The overwhelming favourite, Sandy Richards not in the starting blocks and an athlete, coming back from a ban, winning the gold medal with a new PB. I doubt, the USA will throw this gold medal away for a second time next year. The British athlete must be happy to be British. Here in Germany an athlete with two missed tests would get a 2-year ban.

Dont be too harsh to the Japanese. Japan had only Murofushi as a real medal contender. You always need a few local heroes for a full stadium. Berlin will face the same problems. Helsinkis Olympiastadion has a smaller capacity and it was Finlands biggest sporting event ever. So it has a much higher interest.

Well Bahrain is just stealing athletes from Ethiopia and Kenya.

The IF's really need to ban this practice. Personally, the only acceptable reason for changing nationalities for sporting reasons would be marriage to a citizen of another nation.

The sport determines the rule, for all team sports the rule is that if you are entitled to compete for more than one nation through a number of means you must choose one and once you play for that nation there is no switching no matter future citizenship status, for instance Paul Stastny, a Slovak by ethnicity, a Canadian by birth and a naturalized American, once he choose one there can be no change. There have been exceptions, Evgeni Nabokov for instance, a born Kazakh, played junior national hockey for Kazakhstan but is now playing for Russia. Also in football you don't need to have citizenship to compete for that nation, one athlete I know of had the right to play for any country there are connected to. The IOC has been in takes to ban buying of athletes. but so far things have not been moving forward. But there are moves that mean that athletes will have to change citizenship. There is also athlete defections during major tournaments, for events in Canada, the USA, Australia and Britain this is becoming a huge problem.

Archived