Osaka 2007

Thanks heavens the guy from Panama beat that Italian guy in the long jump. His mother in the crowd was annoying all through the competition. I did start to feel sorry for the poor guy for having a mother like that. That was until he started acting like a complete idiot when he went into the lead. At one stage he was roaring and beating his chest.

I admit that his shaking and screaming looked a little bit too much even to me.. but honestly I can't really see how can you blame him for that!

He just made his greatest result of ever (national record) in a world championship at the age of 22. At that moment he was at the top of the medal zone! C'mon! Did you expect him sitting composedly in silence after such exploit? Same for his mother/coach. C'mon!!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
-Did anyone notice how empty the stadium was at the end of tonights schedule? I hate big sporting events that can't even fill the venue.

Yes, it's similar to (but luckily not exactly as bad as) the Nordic Skiing World Championships last winter in Sapporo. It seems as if the Japanese are not so crazy about sports (maybe besides of baseball and football). But I don't blame them -- it's maybe also because of the extremely long working times and also because of the lack of Japanese medal candidates. I think that it'll be difficult, too, to fill the 70,000 seats of our Berlin Olympic Stadium at the next WCH in 2009.

What bothers me more is that the Japanese are so shy in applauding and cheering for the athletes. Today, in the women's hammer throw, many athletes who didn't win a medal got almost no applause at the end of their competition. I know that extroversion is rather uncommon in Japan -- but when they're hosts of international events, why isn't it more important to them to be polite to their guests and thus to change their behaviour a little?

Um, no. I'm not being the immature one.

I can honestly say that my seven-year-old sister behaves better than you do on this forum.

I can honestly say that my kids at my work behaves better than you do on this forum.

Okay, you must accept that in the pictures of Perry and Kallur it seems like that Perry is in Kallur´s field and she´s disturb Kallur! Today Sweden has leave a protest to protest juryn. Many people thinks this is unfair! The swedish tabloid Expressen have a poll about this! 82 % of the readers think that Perry should be disqualified! You americans think this is fair but the Swedes not! I´m a Swede so of course I´m think it´s very unfair! In the poll I voted for YES, Perry should be disqualified The Swedish press has wrote about this yesterday and today. This are big news in Sweden and many people are angry!

I can honestly say that my kids at my work behaves better than you do on this forum.

Okay, you must accept that in the pictures of Perry and Kallur it seems like that Perry is in Kallur´s field and she´s disturb Kallur! Today Sweden has leave a protest to protest juryn. Many people thinks this is unfair! The swedish tabloid Expressen have a poll about this! 82 % of the readers think that Perry should be disqualified! You americans think this is fair but the Swedes not! I´m a Swede so of course I´m think it´s very unfair! In the poll I voted for YES, Perry should be disqualified The Swedish press has wrote about this yesterday and today. This are big news in Sweden and many people are angry!

I certainly wasn't the one posting with all caps and whining and complaining like a baby.

You have the nerve to accuse us of acting like children?

I certainly wasn't the one posting with all caps and whining and complaining like a baby.

You have the nerve to accuse us of acting like children?

Little critic against USA and you acting like children! I and Sweden are mad of Perry and the officials in Osaka! Accept that! For me Perry is the most undeserving winner in Osaka so far! Accept that!

-I felt really sad for Usain Bolt in the 100m. I really wanted him to win, but his age showed against the dominance of Tyson Gay.

He showed great sportsmanship, though, when he congratulated a little bit more efusively than expected from a runner-up in such an event. :)

Pillan, you're becoming annoying, if you haven't noticed. What are you? A dictator to tell us what we should accept or not? :huh:

But at least you've unstuck your CAPS LOCK key.

I admit that his shaking and screaming looked a little bit too much even to me.. but honestly I can't really see how can you blame him for that!

He just made his greatest result of ever (national record) in a world championship at the age of 22. At that moment he was at the top of the medal zone! C'mon! Did you expect him sitting composedly in silence after such exploit? Same for his mother/coach. C'mon!!! :rolleyes:

I can see your point. I just thought it was a little OTT and irritating to watch. He was like a lunatic. I don't think I would have been that bothered had it not been for his mother beforehand.

Yes, it's similar to (but luckily not exactly as bad as) the Nordic Skiing World Championships last winter in Sapporo. It seems as if the Japanese are not so crazy about sports (maybe besides of baseball and football). But I don't blame them -- it's maybe also because of the extremely long working times and also because of the lack of Japanese medal candidates. I think that it'll be difficult, too, to fill the 70,000 seats of our Berlin Olympic Stadium at the next WCH in 2009.

What bothers me more is that the Japanese are so shy in applauding and cheering for the athletes. Today, in the women's hammer throw, many athletes who didn't win a medal got almost no applause at the end of their competition. I know that extroversion is rather uncommon in Japan -- but when they're hosts of international events, why isn't it more important to them to be polite to their guests and thus to change their behaviour a little?

I imagine it's because Atheltics is not a very well supported Sport in Japan. I seem to remember the World Cup in Japan being very well supported. However, a world cup does have large numbers of travelling fans.

Today Sweden has leave a protest to protest juryn. Many people thinks this is unfair! The swedish tabloid Expressen have a poll about this! 82 % of the readers think that Perry should be disqualified

OMG, have you told the officials in Osaka about this poll. I am sure that if they were aware of the percentages they would change their decision immediately. 82% cannot be wrong. LOL

-Did anyone notice how empty the stadium was at the end of tonights schedule? I hate big sporting events that can't even fill the venue.

The bigger question is: maybe the IAAF is a little full of itself? Other than certain cities in Europe, I don't think an IAAF WC's needs an at least 55,000-seat stadium. I think they could do well with a 40,000-seater max -- and fill it.

Also, strangely...where is France? :blink: Well, I know it's in Europe, but where is France on the board?

That has also intrigued me - is France going through a dry spell athlete wise?

Furthermore I agree that the IAAF WC could easily be held in smaller stadia. Surely a full 35,000-40,000 seater is a better visual interest than a 75% empty Nagai Stadium. Otherwise, the IAAF should stage their WC in areas where there is interest. Solicite bids in areas where athletics are hugely popular, chip in a few milion for set up costs and there you go. These championships do not need to be so grand and overblown.

Furthermore I agree that the IAAF WC could easily be held in smaller stadia. Surely a full 35,000-40,000 seater is a better visual interest than a 75% empty Nagai Stadium. Otherwise, the IAAF should stage their WC in areas where there is interest. Solicite bids in areas where athletics are hugely popular, chip in a few milion for set up costs and there you go. These championships do not need to be so grand and overblown.

Bearing that in mind, it's ironical that all three upcoming IAAF World Championships will be staged at even bigger stadia than Osaka's: The Olympic Stadium of Berlin usually seats 76,000 people, the Daegu World Cup 68,000 and Moscow's Lushniki Stadium even almost 85,000. I suppose that none of those stadia will be filled completely.

Although highly favourised for the gold medal before these WCH, German javelin thrower Christina Obergföll has "only" won silver, like two years ago in Helsinki. However, this is a huge improvement compared to Obergföll's performance in the qualification. New world champion is Barbora Spotakova from the Czech Republic, Germany's Steffi Nerius has won bronze once more. Since 2002, Nerius has won a medal at each major athletics event (Olympics, World and European Championships)!

That adds up to six medals for the German team, the number I predicted before the WCH. And there's still a slight chance for another medal in the men's pole vault tomorrow, with all three German participants (Björn Otto, Danny Ecker and Tim Lobinger) qualified for the final.

Well, Canada won a medal, so I guess its good ^^. The great news about Felicien's silver is that she is finally back to form after what happened to her in Athens, and she has a decent chance to win a gold in Beijing. Apart from that, we should have a slight medal chance in Beijing in the men's 400m, the men's 400m hurdles and in the Women's Heptathlon.

August 31st results. By the way, there was 1 sweep of the medals. That makes 3 of them so far.

Women's 20km Race Walk

1. Olga Kaniskina (Russia) -> 1:30:09

2. Tatyana Shemyakina (Russia) -> 1:30:42

3. María VASCO (Spain) -> 1:30:47

Women's Triple Jump

1. Yargelis Savigne (Cuba) -> 15.28m (WL)

2. Tatyana Lebedeva (Russia) -> 15.07m

3. Hrysopiyí DEVETZÍ (Greece) -> 15.04m

Women's Javelin Throw

1. Barbora ŠPOTÁKOVÁ (Czech Republic) -> 67.07m (NR)

2. Christina OBERGFÖLL (Germany) -> 66.46m

3. Steffi Nerius (Germany) -> 64.42m

Women's 200m

1. Allyson Felix (USA) -> 21.81 sec (WL)

2. Veronica Campbell (Jamaica) -> 22.34 sec (SB)

3. Susanthika Jayasinghe (Sri Lanka) -> 22.63 sec

Men's 400m

1. Jeremy Wariner (USA) -> 43.45 sec (WL)

2. LaShawn Merritt (USA) -> 43.96 sec (PB)

3. Angelo Taylor (USA) -> 44.32 sec

Men's 110m Hurdles

1. Xiang Liu (China) -> 12.95 sec

2. Terrence Trammell (USA) -> 12.99 sec

3. David Payne (USA) -> 13.02 sec (PB)

Day 8 (September 1st) medal events.

- Men's 50km Race Walk

- Women's 1,500m Wheelchair

- Men's 1,500m Wheelchair

- Men's Pole Vault

- Women's 5,000m

- Women's 4X100m Relay

- Men's 4X100m Relay

- Men's Decathlon

Medal standings, after Day 7.

1. USA -> 8 gold, 4 silver, 7 bronze

2. Russia -> 4 gold, 7 silver, 2 bronze

3. Kenya -> 3 gold, 1 silver, 4 bronze

4. Germany -> 2 gold, 2 silver, 2 bronze

5. Ethiopia -> 2 gold, 1 silver

6. Jamaica -> 1 gold, 2 silver, 3 bronze

7. (tie) Belarus -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

7. (tie) Cuba -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

7. (tie) Great Britain -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

10. (tie) Bahamas -> 1 gold, 1 silver

10. (tie) Czech Republic -> 1 gold, 1 silver

12. China -> 1 gold, 1 bronze

13. (tie) Australia -> 1 gold

13. (tie) Ecuador -> 1 gold

13. (tie) Estonia -> 1 gold

13. (tie) New Zealand -> 1 gold

13. (tie) Panama -> 1 gold

13. (tie) Portugal -> 1 gold

13. (tie) Sweden -> 1 gold

20. Spain -> 1 silver, 2 bronze

21. (tie) Bahrain -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Brazil -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Canada -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Dominican Republic -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Italy -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Morocco -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Qatar -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Slovenia -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Turkey -> 1 silver

21. (tie) Ukraine -> 1 silver

31. Poland -> 2 bronze

32. (tie) Cyprus -> 1 bronze

32. (tie) Greece -> 1 bronze

32. (tie) Netherlands -> 1 bronze

32. (tie) Slovakia -> 1 bronze

32. (tie) Sri Lanka -> 1 bronze

32. (tie) Switzerland -> 1 bronze

32. (tie) Tunisia -> 1 bronze

One more thing. This is the rankings so far, at the midpoint of the men's decathlon event.

1. Maurice Smith (Jamaica) -> 4,525 points

2. Dmitriy Karpov (Kazakhstan) -> 4,439 points

3. Roman ŠEBRLE (Czech Republic) -> 4,434 points

4. Aleksey Drozdov (Russia) -> 4,353 points

5. Tom Pappas (USA) -> 4,342 points

6. Norman MÜLLER (Germany) -> 4,310 points

7. Aleksey Sysoyev (Russia) -> 4,303 points

The rest may not have much of a chance to medal in the event, which concludes tomorrow. However, that can change quickly.

Bearing that in mind, it's ironical that all three upcoming IAAF World Championships will be staged at even bigger stadia than Osaka's: The Olympic Stadium of Berlin usually seats 76,000 people, the Daegu World Cup 68,000 and Moscow's Lushniki Stadium even almost 85,000. I suppose that none of those stadia will be filled completely.

Well, Paris did to get the Stade de France almost completely filled in on every evening session. I can't see why Berlin or Moscow couldn't achieve it too.

Archived