Osaka 2007

Who's technical error? I saw a recording of the race and it looked to me like it was his own bloody fault he got disqualified. We all know the rules, even if we think they're wrong.

I didn't watch the race (or re-runs) so I only said what I read, and that was that he wasn't DQ for a false start (his reaction time was said to have been the 6th - which is consistent with his usual bad start) but for slightly moving his head and shoulder. But IAAF says it was a "second false start". Anyways, what matters is that he's out so soon for an unthinkable error of his and he has to move on.

As for today, I watched the 20km race walking and saw Spanish guy Francisco Fernández finishing second, celebrating with his flag... and later being disqualified! Ouch. I think he must have committed an error when sprinting up to pass a Tunisian athlete, who slowed his pace before the finish line, because he had no warnings whatsoever. Olympic champion Ivano Brugnetti (Italy) was also disqualified during the race - only about 30 "survived".

The Ecuadorian winner seemed to have had a massive leg cramp (almost epileptic-like!) precisely after crossing the line; he was taken on a stretcher. :o

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't watch the race (or re-runs) so I only said what I read, and that was that he wasn't DQ for a false start (his reaction time was said to have been the 6th - which is consistent with his usual bad start) but for slightly moving his head and shoulder. But IAAF says it was a "second false start". Anyways, what matters is that he's out so soon for an unthinkable error of his and he has to move on.

As for today, I watched the 20km race walking and saw Spanish guy Francisco Fernández finishing second, celebrating with his flag... and later being disqualified! Ouch. I think he must have committed an error when sprinting up to pass a Tunisian athlete, who slowed his pace before the finish line, because he had no warnings whatsoever. Olympic champion Ivano Brugnetti (Italy) was also disqualified during the race - only about 30 "survived".

The Ecuadorian winner seemed to have had a massive leg cramp (almost epileptic-like!) precisely after crossing the line; he was taken on a stretcher. :o

Race-walking is one of the strangest T&F disciplines whatsoever. I don't know anybody who actually does it. Does anyone here? :blink:

It looked very clear on the recording I watched that he was the first to move. Now, the first false start in a race counts against the whole field, so any subsequent false start is a disqualification. I don't like the rule very much at all, but that's life.

It looked very clear on the recording I watched that he was the first to move. Now, the first false start in a race counts against the whole field, so any subsequent false start is a disqualification. I don't like the rule very much at all, but that's life.

Remember when there was zero-tolerance for false-starts after Atlanta?

New Zealands Valerie Vili has won the womens shot put with a world leading throw of 20.54m! A fantastic result for new zealand and its only out second ever world championship gold medal!

Brilliant result!

Woohoo Valerie Vili just took out the gold in shot put, throwing a massive 20.54m, a personal best! It's NZ's first gold medal in ten years.

Good onya Val!!! :lol:

Bloody brilliant result! Is a new oceania record as well. Good old sky tv giving us live coverage

finally,Fernández was not disqualified and won silver medal.

August 26th results.

Men's 20km Race Walk

1. Jefferson PÉREZ (Ecuador) -> 1:22:20

2. Francisco Javier FERNÁNDEZ (Spain) -> 1:22:40

3. Hatem Ghoula (Tunisia) -> 1:22:40

Women's Shot Put

1. Valerie Vili (New Zealand) -> 20.54m (WL)

2. Nadzeya Ostapchuk (Belarus) -> 20.48m (SB)

3. Nadine Kleinert (Germany) -> 19.77m (SB)

Women's Heptathlon

1. Carolina KLÜFT (Sweden) -> 7,032 points (WL)

2. Lyudmila Blonska (Ukraine) -> 6,832 points (NR)

3. Kelly Sotherton (Great Britain) -> 6,510 points (SB)

Men's 100m

1. Tyson Gay (USA) -> 9.85 sec

2. Derrick Atkins (Bahamas) -> 9.91 sec (NR)

3. Asafa Powell (Jamaica) -> 9.96 sec

Medal events for Day 3 (August 27th):

- Men's Hammer Throw;

- Women's 3,000m Steeplechase;

- Men's Triple Jump

- Men's 10,000m

- Women's 100m

Well, the men's version of "fastest human" is done. Tomorrow, we get to see who will be "the fastest woman in the world."

While the kiwi's can celebrate a gold and the Brits a medal, us Canadians have to be happy with a 9th place in men's shut put and a top 8 finish in men's 400m hurdles. And truthfully those are the best results we could hope for as of now. Also Anson Henry finished 9th in 100m so that is a good result aswell. I think all Canadians can really hope for is top 10 finishes and the athletes running Olympic standards so we can send a team in Beijing that will well represent us compared to Athens.

Medal tally, after Day 2.

1. USA -> 2 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

2. (tie) Ecuador -> 1 gold

2. (tie) Ethiopia -> 1 gold

2. (tie) Kenya -> 1 gold

2. (tie) New Zealand -> 1 gold

2. (tie) Sweden -> 1 gold

7. Belarus -> 1 silver, 1 bronze

8. (tie) Bahamas -> 1 silver

8. (tie) Qatar -> 1 silver

8. (tie) Spain -> 1 silver

8. (tie) Turkey -> 1 silver

8. (tie) Ukraine -> 1 silver

13. (tie) Germany -> 1 bronze

13. (tie) Great Britain -> 1 bronze

13. (tie) Jamaica -> 1 bronze

13. (tie) Switzerland -> 1 bronze

13. (tie) Tunisia -> 1 bronze

Carro is the second best heptathlete in history with 7032! :D The woman who is better is the american Jackie Joyner-Kersee with the world record 7291. Probably she used drugs! This WR is not right and fair! Most people I heard think so! :(

Race-walking is one of the strangest T&F disciplines whatsoever.

You can say that again. :blink: These people's leg muscles and spine (and what more...) must decay way faster than the average athlete. I even consider the 50km event to be a much more tiring event than the marathon; as they spend 3 hours moving themselves in that weird way :huh: Besides, there's all the subjectivity linked to the judges and their warnings.

Carro is the second best heptathlete in history with 7032! :D The woman who is better is the american Jackie Joyner-Kersee with the world record 7291. Probably she used drugs! This WR is not right and fair! Most people I heard think so! :(

Jackie Joyner-Kersee is one of the biggest advocates of clean sport in athletics. She has been publicly advocated clean sport since the time she competed in the 80's when doping was only becoming a problem in the public domain and when the first set of doping controls was put in.

It is alright to be proud of Carolina Kluft, but to accuse someone of doping just because she holds the only score better than your favourite athletic is childish, immature and petty. Joyner-Kersee is one of the most respected athletes of her time and its disgusting that you would say such unfounded things just because she holds the record in Klufts event. You failed to release that that record score was because Joyner-Kersee was also a world class long jumper and short distance runner along with a skilled heptathlete and using her far superior skill in those three events she achieved marks that can barely be touched.

Be proud of Kluft's great achievement, but don't through mud on others.

Just a few more words about the 20 km race-walking: I watched the end of the race live last night (it took place at about 2 a.m. CET) and thought, "This has to be rated PG because of all those horror effects." That was really a bad sight to see at that late hour. I've never seen a race after which so many athletes collapsed like being shot dead or suffering an epileptic seizure. The German TV commentators didn't even notice Jefferson Pérez' blackout -- because at the same time, Germany's André Höhne staggered into the stadium and collapsed just 200 metres away from the finish line. He was so exhausted that he believed to have already reached the line!

After Höhne had been treated for heat stroke in the hospital, he critised the bad organisation of the race. After kilometre 17, there was no sponging station anymore so that the athletes couldn't refresh themselves once more in the scorching heat. And then Höhne was misled by a race official in front of the stadium and had to run an additional 100 metres. Höhne had been within reach of a medal until shortly before the race's end, then he ranked at least 4th until he entered the stadium and collapsed shortly after -- and now he's listed as "Did not finish" in the results list. Sports can be so brutal...

Jackie Joyner-Kersee is one of the biggest advocates of clean sport in athletics. She has been publicly advocated clean sport since the time she competed in the 80's when doping was only becoming a problem in the public domain and when the first set of doping controls was put in.

It is alright to be proud of Carolina Kluft, but to accuse someone of doping just because she holds the only score better than your favourite athletic is childish, immature and petty. Joyner-Kersee is one of the most respected athletes of her time and its disgusting that you would say such unfounded things just because she holds the record in Klufts event. You failed to release that that record score was because Joyner-Kersee was also a world class long jumper and short distance runner along with a skilled heptathlete and using her far superior skill in those three events she achieved marks that can barely be touched.

Be proud of Kluft's great achievement, but don't through mud on others.

So why so many people, not only in Sweden, thinks she´s was on drugs?????? You are from USA so of course you want not to see it! USA is one of the WORST countries when it´s comes to doping! Or do you really think that Joyner-Kersee´s sister-in-law Florence Griffith-Joyner died a natural death????????? NO! What about Montgomery, Jones and Gatlin?????????? Landis in cycling????? You americans are pathetic if you think that Joyner-Kersee was drug-free! :angry: I´m very proud of Carro because she´s NOT like Joyner-Kersee!

Just watched NBC's coverage of the meet so far -- a 1.5 hour highlights digest of events contested so far. What really struck me (and this has probably been going on for years) was the way certain disciplines divide the races. Never more so than the victory lap of the Heptathletes -- all blonde and light-skinned. Where were the black girls? (I think there was one mulatta in that group.) And then of course, the African-descended athletes are good in the short-spurt, powerful races requiring great bursts of energy and speed.

It's just strange and funny the way things break up in such an event as this. Just my 2 cents.

Just a few more words about the 20 km race-walking: I watched the end of the race live last night (it took place at about 2 a.m. CET) and thought, "This has to be rated PG because of all those horror effects." That was really a bad sight to see at that late hour. I've never seen a race after which so many athletes collapsed like being shot dead or suffering an epileptic seizure. The German TV commentators didn't even notice Jefferson Pérez' blackout -- because at the same time, Germany's André Höhne staggered into the stadium and collapsed just 200 metres away from the finish line. He was so exhausted that he believed to have already reached the line!

After Höhne had been treated for heat stroke in the hospital, he critised the bad organisation of the race. After kilometre 17, there was no sponging station anymore so that the athletes couldn't refresh themselves once more in the scorching heat. And then Höhne was misled by a race official in front of the stadium and had to run an additional 100 metres. Höhne had been within reach of a medal until shortly before the race's end, then he ranked at least 4th until he entered the stadium and collapsed shortly after -- and now he's listed as "Did not finish" in the results list. Sports can be so brutal...

I never saw him crossing the finish line. So that's what happened to him... :( It's pure torture contesting such event under a scorching heat.

So why so many people, not only in Sweden, thinks she´s was on drugs?????? You are from USA so of course you want not to see it! USA is one of the WORST countries when it´s comes to doping! Or do you really think that Joyner-Kersee´s sister-in-law Florence Griffith-Joyner died a natural death????????? NO! What about Montgomery, Jones and Gatlin?????????? Landis in cycling????? You americans are pathetic if you think that Joyner-Kersee was drug-free! :angry: I´m very proud of Carro because she´s NOT like Joyner-Kersee!

Watch your language, Pillan. First of all, Faster is from Canada and not from the USA. And secondly: The fact that your "Carro" couldn't top her third world championship and European record with the world record (don't you think that you could actually be very satisfied already?) doesn't give you the right to throw poop.

Yeah. Go ahead, pillan. U know Barry Bonds is going after people who speak the untruth about him. U could be in line if Jackie Joyrner's camp finds out about this. They can always summon GamesBids files and find out who you really are! So I would retract what u said or go slow on them. I'm sure Karolina's victory is not dependent on bashing somebody else. Or I guess Karolina can be bashed by a future winner as well. How would u like that?

Watch your language, Pillan. First of all, Faster is from Canada and not from the USA. And secondly: The fact that your "Carro" couldn't top her third world championship and European record with the world record (don't you think that you could actually be very satisfied already?) doesn't give you the right to throw poop.

7032 is the moral World Record. I heard people said that and not only Swedes! Many many people thinks that Kersee was on drugs! WR is little bit too good against the other results in Heptathlon. So don´t blame me for that!

Accusing retired sportspeople of doping when there is no evidence of wrongdoing is dangerous ground. I don't know who, if anybody, is casting aspersions on the merits of Joyner-Kersee's world record, but I certainly haven't heard it til now. One might have thought somebody would have whinged a bit more in the last 15 or 20 years if there was something in it.

Archived