Osaka 2007

With only 24 hours to go , I thought I'd start a specific Osaka 2007 thread.

Australia has a few medal chances - the most well known being Craig Mottram who will be taking it to the Kenyan's and Tanzanian's in the 5,000m.

Reports from Japan show there are very low ticket sales for many day sessions, as well as contingency plans to move the longer races to later in the evening to avoid scorching temperatures.

Word on the street is that there isn't much excitement in Japan for the event - lets see if that changes once the show begins.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reports from Japan show there are very low ticket sales for many day sessions, as well as contingency plans to move the longer races to later in the evening to avoid scorching temperatures.

Word on the street is that there isn't much excitement in Japan for the event - lets see if that changes once the show begins.

That continues the trend from Sapporo's Nordic Skiing World Championships in February/March. I just hope that there won't be pictures of almost completely empty venues again.

However, the Germans stand their best chances in the throwing competitions. Our biggest medal hope is Christina Obergföll in women's javelin who dominated the season so far. Steffi Nerius is also within reach of a medal. Current discus world champion Franka Dietzsch might be able to defend her title. Petra Lammert could win a medal in women's shot put. Betty Heidler and Markus Esser are candidates for a surprise medal in hammer throw.

Again, our pole vaulters Björn Otto, Danny Ecker and Tim Lobinger are placed high on this year's top list, but I fear that they will disappoint us once more as soon as the stressful WCH competition arrives.

Finally, also our decathletes André Niklaus, Arthur Abele and Norman Müller as well as our heptathletes Jennifer Oeser and Lilli Schwarzkopf are capable of ranking at least within the Top 10. Maybe more???

All in all, I predict six medals for the German team in Osaka (possibly two gold, no silver and four bronze). Sadly, it takes a long, long time for our team to recover from the catastrophic results of Paris 2003 and Athens 2004.

You think you've got it bad. If we get three medals we'll have done well. Best individual chances are probably Kelly Sotherton and Jessica Ennis in the heptathlon and Phillips Idowu in the triple jump. Other than that, we're looking to the relays and who makes finals.

Carolina Klüft seems to be the HUGE favourite to the gold in hepathlon! Some swedish experts think that she will take the European Record.

Stefan Holm is in top right now! He is the favourite to the gold in men´s high jump. In his last training he jump 2.33, but he not continue to jump after that, Maybe it have been much higher than that!

Linus Törnblad is better and better. A medal for him is not impossible!

Susanna Kallur has a great chance to a medal in womens 100 m hurdles.

Kasja Bergqvist has not been so good in the last time. But we know what she can and a medal is possible!

Outsiders: Mostafa Mohammed, Magnus Arvidsson. Johan Wissman, Alhaji Jeng!

Right now, the men's marathon is underway, according to the Osaka 2007 official website. Then, at 5:00pm local time, the opening ceremony begins. Once that is over, medals will be handed out in the men's shot put and the women's 10,000m events as well.

You think you've got it bad. If we get three medals we'll have done well. Best individual chances are probably Kelly Sotherton and Jessica Ennis in the heptathlon and Phillips Idowu in the triple jump. Other than that, we're looking to the relays and who makes finals.

Gosh I envy you guys... I would be happy if Canada got just one medal...

Not that much in it after two events though. Jessica Ennis isn't that far behind.

Yes, but Ennis have bad events later in the competition! No, she can no match Carro! Blonska is the girl who can compete with Carro, but I don´t think so! CARRO WILL TAKE THE EUROPEAN RECORD!

August 25th medal results.

Men's Marathon

1. Luke Kibet (Kenya) -> 2:15.59

2. Mubarak Hassan Shami (Qatar) -> 2:17.18

3. Viktor Roethlin (Switzerland) -> 2:17.25

Men's Shot Put

1. Reese Hoffa (USA) -> 22.04m

2. Adam Nelson (USA) -> 21.61m (SB)

3. Andrei Mikhnevich (Belarus) -> 21.27m (SB)

Women's 10,000m

1. Tirunesh Dibaba (Ethiopia) -> 31:55.41 (SB)

2. Elvan Abeylegesse (Turkey) -> 31:59.40

3. Kara Goucher (USA) -> 32:02.05 (SB)

With that, the medals table looks like this.

1. USA -> 1 gold, 1 silver, 1 bronze

2. (tie) Ethiopia -> 1 gold

2. (tie) Kenya -> 1 gold

4. (tie) Qatar -> 1 silver

4. (tie) Turkey -> 1 silver

6. (tie) Belarus -> 1 bronze

6. (tie) Switzerland -> 1 bronze

Day 2 medal events:

- Men's 20km Race Walk

- Women's Shot Put

- Women's Heptathlon

- Men's 100m

I wonder who is going to be "the world's fastest man" this time around?

HEPTATHLON AFTER THE FIRST DAY (FOUR EVENTS):

1 Carolina Klüft SWE 4162 :D

2 Lyudmila Blonska UKR 4014

3 Kelly Sotherton GBR 3989

4 Jessica Ennis GBR 3942

5 Jennifer Oeser GER 3815

6 Nataliya Dobrynska UKR 3779

7 Austra Skujyte LTU 3757

THIS IS SO GREAT! GO CARRO!!!!!

HEPTATHLON AFTER THE FIRST DAY (FOUR EVENTS):

1 Carolina Klüft SWE 4162 :D

2 Lyudmila Blonska UKR 4014

3 Kelly Sotherton GBR 3989

4 Jessica Ennis GBR 3942

5 Jennifer Oeser GER 3815

6 Nataliya Dobrynska UKR 3779

7 Austra Skujyte LTU 3757

THIS IS SO GREAT! GO CARRO!!!!!

How many sweden are in Osaka? Athletes I mean...

Disqualified by technical error - what a frustrating way for Obikwelu to blow a season mostly focused on Osaka's 100m, where he could grab a bronze medal :( Let's see if he has the spirits and motivation for the 200m.

Portugal's best chance for a medal is on the triple jump - Nélson Évora had the best qualification mark (17.22m); his main rival, Phillips Idowu, qualified only by being one of the best twelve (17.07m). The final is on August 27 at 20:30 (local - 11:30 UTC).

Other qualified Portuguese were Sara Moreira in the 3000m steeplechase and Edivaldo Monteiro in the 400m hurdles.

Disqualified by technical error - what a frustrating way for Obikwelu to blow a season mostly focused on Osaka's 100m, where he could grab a bronze medal

Who's technical error? I saw a recording of the race and it looked to me like it was his own bloody fault he got disqualified. We all know the rules, even if we think they're wrong.

New Zealands Kim Smith finishes 5th in the womens 10,000 metres final which is a fantastic result for New Zealand on day one. Nick Willis has qualified for the 1500m semi-finals. Today Valerie Vili is up in the shot put and she is ranked 2nd in the world and is new zealands best hope of a medal at these champs! Good luck valerie

Archived