Beijing Marathon?

taichi

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Direct from the bid book -

The marathon course starts in front of the Forbidden City, passes by many of Beijing's historic monuments and finishes at the National Stadium. The 20km and 50km walking events will start and finish at the National Stadium, and the 2.5km loop course will be close to the Stadium.

Road competition - the individual time trial and the road race will take place on the city 2nd and 3rd ring roads. The circuit for Time Trial is 21.2 km long and for Road Race is 17.2 km. The use of Beijing's major ring roads will help the road cycling to contribute to the Olympic spirit of the city. Parts of the circuit will be reserved as warm-up areas.

source - BOCOG 2001

The marathon wouldn't go to the Great Wall - while it is within the 42km range from some parts of Beijing, the suburbs and roads leading to it are... well... ugly and dirty. I am sure the full planned route is past the Forbidden City, up Wangfujing, maybe out to the Summer Palace and back to the Olympic Park. Possibly through Tientin Park and past the Temple Of Heaven...

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

• 2 weeks later...
Rogge said something about pollution and possible cancellation of it...it depends on that day of course.

That's true -- since the men's marathon is once more scheduled for the last day of the Games (August 24), it couldn't be repeated on another day. But I hope that they can avoid that -- the men's marathon is one of the centrepieces of the Games.

• 2 months later...

I hope they will clean the air so they can get ready for Men's marathon at the last day of competition.

Or they can invite Cornelius.

He will stop the runners before their health is in danger.

:D:D

(I hope you all know who is Cornelius)

So who is Cornelius? Cornelius Vanderbilt? Cornelius Hackl, in HELLO, DOLLY who worked for Mr. VanderGelder's Feed and Tackle store and took a day off and went to New York so he could kiss the girls??

Too many complaints about Beijing atmosperic condition. It's not going to kill nobody,PERIOD! Atleast Chinese are still alive in Beijing till now.

The athletes should be aiming at the winnings rather than a meaningless air of which I don't see much problem at the moment.

James, u should be the last person to complain about this. If u were a professional athlete and cared one iota about your health and the risks of what the Beijing atrmosphere would do to your lungs, you would not be so glib with your 'all-knowing' remarks. As u say -- down, boy.

Not for the short time. I would call that an excuse on the part of the athletes. People have being living in Beijing with good lungs and health condition.

Cornelius, an irish ex-priest, is the crazy guy who assault the brazilian runner before the end of the marathon in Athens.

He was allready famous, after he crossed the track at Silverstone with a banner during a Formula One Grand Prix the year before.

I'm surprised that you don't remembered him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3611558.stm

People have being living in Beijing with good lungs and health condition.

Ha, not according to Time - http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8...1558890,00.html. And it effects Beijing newcomers the most, such as, um I don't know...thousands of athletes from around the world, who have never trained and competed in such conditions.

Please, stop denying it. It's obvious that bad air quality and a 27 mile race SHOULD NOT GO TOGETHER.

Cornelius, an irish ex-priest, is the crazy guy who assault the brazilian runner before the end of the marathon in Athens.

He was allready famous, after he crossed the track at Silverstone with a banner during a Formula One Grand Prix the year before.

I'm surprised that you don't remembered him.

I remember him of course, just not his name.

james Posted Today, 07:47 AM

Not for the short time. I would call that an excuse on the part of the athletes. People have being living in Beijing with good lungs and health condition.

James, I suggest you read up a bit more about the issue first. It's actually becoming fair concern.

I have read it. People are there in Beijing sound and alive. TIME is blowing it!

Even in countries where the air is clean people still have lung conditions or whatsoever. The Chinese will definately have a measure to curb this what I call triviality-about-the-atmosphere. 3 weeks stay would kill no-athlete excepting if the athlete's been sick inside unknowingly.