2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

:angry: I am getting sick of the hype that surrounds the All Blacks at the moment...

Dan Carter having the next game off should be of NO CONCERN if AB management have planned correctly. I'll bet all bloody week we in NZ will hear about predictions of the Quarter Finals game with France!

:unsure:I wonder what Australia, New Zealand's nemesis, are up to! <_<

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's fair to say, however, that John O'Neill did the England team talk for him when he said: "It doesn't matter whether it's cricket, rugby, rugby league - we all hate England".

It's all here, clear as crystal.

O'Neill takes aim at England (Xenophobia lives here)

The man is an idiot, proving once and for all that he is unfit to hold his position. England have moved on in their last two games, complete with key personnel back. Arrogant morons like O'Neill will only serve to make our task easier.

Mate, it's true as you say, comments like O'Neill's do more to help motivate the opposition than anything else. But, hey, it's sport, and trash talk always been part of the sideline carnival for major sports meets.

Anyway, as I'm sure you know deep down, "hate" is overstating it as far as our sporting rivalry goes. To us, taking on England is more our yardstick. We relish meeting England on the sports field in a way that is probably best analogised as sibling rivalry. You're the big brother, even parent, we just love to beat to prove ourselves. Our history and tradition at sport just add spice to any encounter we have. The kiwis of course feel the same way about us.

Of course, I'm hoping to see Oz get some comeback for the 2003 final, but whatever happens, this should be a great game that writes another chapter in the great sporting rivalry between our countries. More power to that rivalry!

What annoys me most about this kind of thing is that it always seems to be the English who have to take this kind of stick, but as soon as an English sportsman says anything remotely controversial, all hell breaks loose. This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened, and I suspect it won't be the last. If you read Ian Botham's autobiography, he talks of the dinner before the 1992 Cricket World Cup final when the comedian was a drag artist dressed as the Queen who proceeded into an anti-English routine, which he and Graham Gooch walked out of. Can't say that I blamed them really either.

It just infuriates me that some numpty like O'Neill can say something as inflammatory and frankly infantile as that without any kind of sanction, and yet if the boot was on the other foot, the hoo-hah would be enormous.

What annoys me most about this kind of thing is that it always seems to be the English who have to take this kind of stick, but as soon as an English sportsman says anything remotely controversial, all hell breaks loose. This isn't the first time this kind of thing has happened, and I suspect it won't be the last. If you read Ian Botham's autobiography, he talks of the dinner before the 1992 Cricket World Cup final when the comedian was a drag artist dressed as the Queen who proceeded into an anti-English routine, which he and Graham Gooch walked out of. Can't say that I blamed them really either.

It just infuriates me that some numpty like O'Neill can say something as inflammatory and frankly infantile as that without any kind of sanction, and yet if the boot was on the other foot, the hoo-hah would be enormous.

Add to that that people laugh and mock us, call us arrogant etc when we actually think our national sides might have a chance in a particuar sport. Then the same people say the same things about their own national sides. Don't get me wrong, I think it is fine for a person from anywhere, even if they are looking through rose-tinted glasses, to big up their own team. I just can't get over the double-standards if we do it...

Exactly right. Meanwhile, Welsh coach Gareth Jenkins has paid the price for his team's failure to reach the quarter-finals. He's been sacked this morning.

Jenkins dismissed as Wales coach

wow that didnt take long did it!!

Well, we now know the quarter-final line-up for next weekend after Argentina beat Ireland 30-15 in Paris this afternoon.

Next Saturday, defending champions England will face Australia in Marseille in a repeat of the 2003 final. Then, France play the All Blacks in Cardiff. On Sunday, South Africa play Fiji, again in Marseille, while Paris will see the last quarter-final between Argentina and Scotland.

How do people now see the tournament? I thought we'd seen the winners in South Africa the other week, but I looked at the Argentinian side today and I sensed a team who believe they can achieve something very very special. I'm not saying they can go all the way and win it, but they look as though they are going to give any team in this tournament a serious examination.

Well, we now know the quarter-final line-up for next weekend after Argentina beat Ireland 30-15 in Paris this afternoon.

Next Saturday, defending champions England will face Australia in Marseille in a repeat of the 2003 final. Then, France play the All Blacks in Cardiff. On Sunday, South Africa play Fiji, again in Marseille, while Paris will see the last quarter-final between Argentina and Scotland.

How do people now see the tournament? I thought we'd seen the winners in South Africa the other week, but I looked at the Argentinian side today and I sensed a team who believe they can achieve something very very special. I'm not saying they can go all the way and win it, but they look as though they are going to give any team in this tournament a serious examination.

i agree argentina have the belief and will beat scotland and will give south africa a real run for their money. New Zealand have a tough quarter against france. They should win and it is even better for us that the game is in cardiff so the home ground advantage that france would want has gone!

i agree argentina have the belief and will beat scotland and will give south africa a real run for their money. New Zealand have a tough quarter against france. They should win and it is even better for us that the game is in cardiff so the home ground advantage that france would want has gone!

I bet the French are now kicking themselves for the insane decision to host some games over in Wales and Scotland... :(

I would simply advise you to remember Twickenham 1999.

True.

Although, to be honest, given what we have seen so far from both the Blacks et "Les Bleus", I still think that NZ is a huge favourite.

yes i agree... 1999 still sits at the back of my mind though!

I just know, that Indonesia have rugby national team :D, we are in division VI Asia, Is there anybody know how bad is division VI asia ? Is that the lowest division ? Or in the middle level?

i have no idea lol never heard of division VI Asia i suggest the IRB website

yes i agree... 1999 still sits at the back of my mind though!

:huh: Always a reminder!....

Four VERY exciting games!

Australia would have to be phenominally STOOOOPID to loose this one!

South Africa had better watch out for Fiji!

Argentina deserve to be in the semis

AND NEW ZEALAND! The party in the South of France is over boys! The REAL World Cup is now ALL ON! You had better win the NEXT THREE GAMES! And the last one better NOT be the 3rd v 4th playoff! :angry:

:huh: Always a reminder!....

Four VERY exciting games!

Australia would have to be phenominally STOOOOPID to loose this one!

South Africa had better watch out for Fiji!

Argentina deserve to be in the semis

AND NEW ZEALAND! The party in the South of France is over boys! The REAL World Cup is now ALL ON! You had better win the NEXT THREE GAMES! And the last one better NOT be the 3rd v 4th playoff! :angry:

yes i agree lol

And my views on this weekend's quarter finals:

* Australia V England _ Well I hope for Australia, of course, though a lot will depend on the injuries. Whatever, it'll be a great grudge match in the tradition of the great rivals.

* NZ V France _ France must be rueing the decision to co-host (as well as kicking themseles over their loss to the Argies)! Played in Paris or Marseilles or anywhere in la Belle France would have made this a different match. But to be going to Cardiff must be, pardon the pun, galling. Whatetever, the All Blacks must go in as favourites, but I wonder what the psychological pressure on them is doing.

* Argentina V Scotland _ I never thought I'd ever barrack for an Argentinian team, but Go The Pumas! I think everyone's sentimental second team this year.

* South Africa V Fiji _ Sorry Fiji, but i think you've already played your final. The Springboks, meanwhile, seem to have the most charmed run now through the finals.

Predictions:

Australia

NZ

Argentina

South Africa

An all southern-hemisphere semi finals.

Talk about coincidence. Just after I mentioned Les Bleus hosting folly, I googled up this articicle:

CARDIFF, Oct 4 AFP - French rugby administrators, even more than coach Bernard Laporte and the players, are to blame for the hosts running the risk of being knocked out of 'their' World Cup in the capital of Wales.

That 'Les Bleus' now face tournament favourites New Zealand in the quarter-finals at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on Saturday, was all too much for French sports daily L'Equipe.

Earlier this week, it wailed: ``It was sunny when Les Bleus left Marseille, it was raining in Cardiff when they arrived. It is so utterly stupid to leave France, where a festival mood has enveloped the World Cup for a sad city where no-one any longer cares about the tournament.''

Had France finished first in Pool D it would have been they, and not Argentina, who were playing Scotland at the Stade de France on Sunday.

But the bigger question is why are any matches at this World Cup being played outside of France?

The start of the answer begins about a decade ago when the Welsh Rugby Union bid to host the 1999 World Cup. But in order to get the votes they required the WRU needed the support of their fellow northern hemisphere Unions.

They got it but with an expensive price tag attached which saw the tournament spread out across several countries. This inevitably diminished any sense of a 'rugby carnival', a joyful feeling clearly in evidence in France this year.

But there was little in the way of off-field momentum eight years ago with the dispiriting sight of a match between South Africa and Uruguay played in front of a meagre crowd at Glasgow's Hampden Park, the home ground of the Scotland national soccer team, summing up much that was wrong with the 1999 World Cup.

Even so, it might just have been possible, if not desirable, to create some enthusiasm around a World Cup hosted by the four 'Home Unions' of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

But the French Rugby Federation (FFR), whose president then as now was Bernard Lapasset, insisted they too be given a slice of the action and ended up by hosting a Pool and a quarter-final.

However, a condition was that should France ever host a World Cup, Wales too would receive a Pool and a quarter-final.

As it turned out it was a deal France didn't need to make to secure this year's tournament.

They beat England, their only competitor, so convincingly the only other nation that voted for England's proposal was Canada.

Now, thanks in part to Argentina's results, but primarily as a result of the horse-trading which has so long been a feature of rugby politics, Laporte's men have been denied a traditional advantage of the home side - playing in front of a partisan crowd.

Of course, it might not make much difference. France, who have lost their last seven matches against New Zealand, upset the odds to beat the All Blacks at Twickenham, England's home, in the 1999 World Cup semi-finals.

But there remains a widely held view that the World Cups of 1995 and 2003, staged in South Africa and Australia respectively, were the two best editions yet largely because they enjoyed all the benefits of being staged in one country alone.

There is talk the International Rugby Board (IRB) will make it a pre-condition of all future World Cups that their only be a sole host.

Meanwhile Lapasset has been widely tipped to succeed Ireland's Syd Millar as the global governing body's chairman.

It will be interesting to see what happens both to him and the World Cup.

Damn straight _ the only ones that France should have cobnsidered co-hosting with are Italy!

Archived