Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardian

2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

They do indeed participate as one team. There is also a special Irish rugby anthem called 'Ireland's Call'.

It is very fascinating that the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland participate together - do you have a larger pic of the flag, which is used for the unified Irish rugby team?

Okay, just like CAF, I am a little confused here with the Irish flag here. I cannot see the picture of it, from the official France 2007 website, properly. But, isn't the "flag of Ireland" in this case is the emblems of the 4 provinces of the island (including the one of "Northern Ireland") in equal representation, with the shamrock, the rugby ball and the letters IRFU in the middle of the flag? I got to that conclusion, from what I read and seen from the Internet.

Today's matches are now over. Here are the results.

South Africa: 59 - Samoa: 7

Wales: 42 - Canada: 17

Scotland: 56 - Portugal: 10

Ireland: 32 - Namibia: 17

No matches taking place tomorrow, but only one match will occur on the 11th. It is this one:

- Argentina vs. Georgia @ Lyon (8:00pm)

I was extremely impressed with canada who were leading at half time! They will take great confidence out of their first half performance! Great effort. I didnt watch the Ireland game but they must have struggled a little?

Man, we're really a debuting team and completely staggered with our presence in France - we lost (below 60-point line which is another feat of its own) but it was a complete joy when we scored our first ever World Cup try :D

Go, Lobos, go! B)

It is very fascinating that the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland participate together - do you have a larger pic of the flag, which is used for the unified Irish rugby team?

I don't, no. I don't think it is normally used.

I don't, no. I don't think it is normally used.

Its interesting that Irish Rugby stand unified but Irish football did not.

Tomorrow's matches.

- USA vs. Tonga @ Montpellier (2:00pm)

- Japan vs. Fiji @ Toulouse (6:00pm)

- Italy vs. Romania @ Marseille (8:00pm)

Should be wins to Italy and Fiji... Tonga v usa should be very interesting

Three very tight games looking at the final results. Italy squeezed past Romania 24-18. Fiji beat Japan 35-31, while Tonga got off to a winning start beating the USA 25-15.

Next game is England v South Africa on Friday. I fear the worst.

Next game is England v South Africa on Friday. I fear the worst.

South-Africa has been really impressive on Sunday indeed. But with England, one never knows.

Given that we have no fit, regular flyhalf, a suspended captain and a team which badly underperformed in the opening game, I fear we'll get a hiding. I hope I'm wrong and I'll certainly be watching closely, but at the moment I'm not optimistic.

Tomorrow's only match to play out.

- England vs. South Africa @ Saint-Denis (9:00pm)

South Africa had better not go into this game thinking they'll push over England...

England know it's do or die for an easier road to the semis. I'm not writing them off yet.

As for Portugal...They have endeared themselves to the All Blacks and New Zealand, expect them to ALWAYS be welcome to play in New Zealand before the 2011RWC! :rolleyes:

Put it this way. I expect that, assuming we get through, it's a quarter-final against Australia rather than Wales for us.

And it certainly will be now, if we get through. 36-0 may say it all for some, but it doesn't say anywhere near enough for me.

Quite simply, England were awful from first to last, almost from 1 to 15. The only man who looked like he could spark something off for us was Jason Robinson and I sincerely hope that he will be able to recover sufficiently from his injury to take some further part in this tournament. He was the one man who did not give in, the one man who did not let his standards slide.

What we saw at the Stade de France this evening was a game between a side who knew exactly what they were doing and executed their intended strategy to the letter and a team who seemed to have no idea whatsoever of what they were doing. Were I feeling unkind, I could label the Springboks boring for the way they played and one thing I'm certain of is that they will not get anything like the sort of stick that England would have got for playing that way. But that's another issue for another time.

Tonight was the clearest, starkest, darkest example of just how much we have gone backwards since that wonderful night in Sydney. To some extent, as poor as they were tonight, it is unfair to criticise the team that went out on the field this evening. They are merely the symptom of the disease that has seeped so deep into English rugby - the disease of waste.

Let's be clear people - England have completely and utterly wasted the last four years and the fault lies with two parties - the Premiership clubs and the old farts of the RFU. The most fundamental reason why England won the last World Cup was because, most of the time, the RFU and the top clubs worked together to give Clive Woodward exactly what he needed to create a successful England side. That constructive approach was based on the understanding that the success of the England team is paramount to the success of rugby in this country. What happened after the World Cup? Woodward didn't get the same help so, justifiably, he walked. Andy Robinson was the wrong appointment and Brian Ashton has only had a matter of months to try to salvage something out of the wasted years.

This tournament was always likely to come too soon for England, and the time to properly assess the side that is developing under Ashton will, I hope, be in four years time in New Zealand. But, if we are to get anywhere close to regaining the World Cup then, the change has to begin now. England has to be put at the centre and if the interested parties are unable or unwilling to do so, then they should sod off and let someone else have a go. What I saw tonight was an embarrassment, a disgrace and it is the fault of the idiots in suits. They got us in this mess by forgetting how you win World Cups. Time they started learning and sharpish! I am disgusted with what I have just seen and I fear what could happen in Nantes next week.

Well, tomorrow will have one match held in Wales. Talk about a "home-field advantage" there for the Welsh team. But, guess who is that team's opponents in that match?

- Wales vs. Australia @ Cardiff, Wales, UK (3:00pm BST)

- New Zealand vs. Portugal @ Lyon (1:00 pm CEST)

- Ireland vs. Georgia @ Bordeaux (8:00pm CEST)

BST = British Summer Time

CEST = Central Europe Summer Time

:unsure: GOOD GRIEF!! 36-0!! I didn't know things were that bad!!! At least it'll give England a chance to regroup.

:unsure: GOOD GRIEF!! 36-0!! I didn't know things were that bad!!! At least it'll give England a chance to regroup.

Yea massive result! Didnt think England were that bad. I personally dont think they will make it past the quarter finals. They have a hell of a lot of work to do

The Wales game kicks off at 2pm British time.

Oops. Sorry about that. :(

Yea massive result! Didnt think England were that bad. I personally dont think they will make it past the quarter finals. They have a hell of a lot of work to do

In all seriousness, we have yet to book a place in the quarter-finals. Next Saturday will be a very difficult game.

In all seriousness, we have yet to book a place in the quarter-finals. Next Saturday will be a very difficult game.

good point... but i think they they will make it to the quarter finals