Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardian

2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

Inded, in Rugby the number of quality national sides is rather, err, thin...

Anyway, I believe Canada does have a chance to reach the quarter-final (I believe Wales and Fiji can be beaten), but a more, well, realistic objective would to finish third in our group and print our ticket for New Zealand 2011.

Inded, in Rugby the number of quality national sides is rather, err, thin...

Anyway, I believe Canada does have a chance to reach the quarter-final (I believe Wales and Fiji can be beaten), but a more, well, realistic objective would to finish third in our group and print our ticket for New Zealand 2011.

yea i agree... Third in the group would have to be the target of canadas!

Well, it is now the eve of this World Cup. Tomorrow, it is the host nation, France, versus the Argentinian team to start it all off at Saint-Denis.

:mellow: I'm going to be honest here....

I really don't care much for the first half of the RWC!

I'll start taking interest at the Quarter Finals time which is up in October.

I still believe Australia could be the biggest upset winners of this tournament.

England IS still within reach of the trophy.

The All Blacks will lose only to the All Blacks - and - unsurprisingly they've started to already! Shades of 1991 and 2003 have started to creep into the side.

:mellow: I'm going to be honest here....

I really don't care much for the first half of the RWC!

I'll start taking interest at the Quarter Finals time which is up in October.

I still believe Australia could be the biggest upset winners of this tournament.

England IS still within reach of the trophy.

The All Blacks will lose only to the All Blacks - and - unsurprisingly they've started to already! Shades of 1991 and 2003 have started to creep into the side.

what shades are those???

I agree that the first half of the world cup is not that interesting and the quarter finals the tournament will really get underday. I personally cant see england winning the world cup but the aussies are definate chance as well as south africa and france... New Zealand.... well 20 years ago we won lets just home the cycle returns?/

Of course, there are some pool games worth watching, but the tournament really gets started in the knockout stages. That is the great weakness of rugby.

Of course, there are some pool games worth watching, but the tournament really gets started in the knockout stages. That is the great weakness of rugby.

yes some pool games are going to be very interesting! the opening game France v Argentina should be great to watch!!

yes some pool games are going to be very interesting! the opening game France v Argentina should be great to watch!!

Absolutely, can't wait until 6am tomorrow and there are quite a few pool matches I'm going to stay up for.

what shades are those???

I agree that the first half of the world cup is not that interesting and the quarter finals the tournament will really get underday. I personally cant see england winning the world cup but the aussies are definate chance as well as south africa and france... New Zealand.... well 20 years ago we won lets just home the cycle returns?/

The pressure to bring the cup home!!!

The build up to this RWC began at the end of the semi-final against Australia in 2003!

As I was IN LONDON in 1991 holding tickets to the Final match, expecting NZ to play England, and beat them - gosh we deserved it!!! It was quite a humbling experience being in the still hotch-potch stadium that was Twickenham then watching Nick Farr-Jones lift the trophy aloft in front of the Queen and an embarrased NZ P.M. Jim Bolger. What were we thinking.

If this All Blacks are as good as the 1995 team, we've won!

Excellent start by the Argentinians and they take the first points with a Contepomi penalty.

Won what? Your opening pool match?

Exactly, nothing is guaranteed.

Brilliant start to the world cup with an upset win for Argentina over hosts France.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed an Argentinian sporting victory so much. The Pumas played very well, but France were dreadful.

wow.... fantastic news. Great work argentina they deserved the victory!!!!! France have a lot of work to do

Now thats what the RWC is about...Upset victories!

there are three games today. New Zealand vs Italy, USA Vs England and Australia v Japan...

there are three games today. New Zealand vs Italy, USA Vs England and Australia v Japan...

Yep. First, for those who didn't know the final score of the first match, it was:

Argentina: 17 - France: 12

As mentioned in the quote, those are the next matches for today. However, they will played at these locations and times.

- England vs. USA @ Lens (6:00pm)

- Australia vs. Japan @ Lyon (3:45pm)

- New Zealand vs. Italy @ Marseille (1:45pm)

All times indicated are in local French time, which is also in CEST (Central European Summer Time) or GMT + 2 hours.

Yep. First, for those who didn't know the final score of the first match, it was:

Argentina: 17 - France: 12

As mentioned in the quote, those are the next matches for today. However, they will played at these locations and times.

- England vs. USA @ Lens (6:00pm)

- Australia vs. Japan @ Lyon (3:45pm)

- New Zealand vs. Italy @ Marseille (1:45pm)

All times indicated are in local French time, which is also in CEST (Central European Summer Time) or GMT + 2 hours.

Great work Guardian

Oh, wow. Talk about a "feeling good" atmosphere, according to this BBC article, at the Rugby World Cup and it is only after one day so far.

Link: BBC: Sarkozy Catches World Cup Fever

_44103895_fans_getty203b.jpg

Rugby fever has gripped France as the World Cup kicks off

_44103903_sarkozy_pa203b.jpg

"[sarkozy] thinks he has to get close to the heart of all French people who follow the world cup"

Denis Tillinac

_44103908_fabienmaul_afp203b.jpg

"There will be a feel-good factor if they win, but it won't be a tidal wave"

Patrick Mignon

Sports sociologist

If france loose to Ireland then france might desert the world cup. I think france will get up though and beat ireland but they will have to improve. But if france are knocked out it will be interesting to see who the french will support?

I don't think I've ever enjoyed an Argentinian sporting victory so much. The Pumas played very well, but France were dreadful.

LOL, I am not surprised.

French bashing, especially when it comes to Rugby, is part of English way of life (as I always say, England gave Fair Play to the world because they had no use for it).

This being said, the Pumas did deserve their victory.

If france loose to Ireland then france might desert the world cup. I think france will get up though and beat ireland but they will have to improve. But if france are knocked out it will be interesting to see who the french will support?

The Blacks are very popular and so is Wales.

Since more than half of the Pumas play in French Rugby league, I suspect they would also get some support.