2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

I know I said this before the semi-final and I probably said it before the quarter-final as well, but I'm going to say it again. We will start Saturday's final as major underdogs. All the recent history suggests a South Africa victory. But all that history was generated against either reserve England sides in the summer or a side missing vital personnel in the case of the pool match. This is a totally different ball game and England go into it with every chance, particularly in the context of a South African team who, like New Zealand before the quarter-final, have yet to be properly tested.

I'm not sure if that many will share this view, but I personally believe that, win or lose on Saturday night, this side has done unbelievably well and deserve all the plaudits going.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roltel: I said that strategy won't win this final

South Africa regardless of the opposition, pathetic referees or downright incorrect TMO decisions have been scoring points. Points win matches. England IMO will not win the final in a low scoring affair. They will need tries, and more than one.

37-20 fiji, 37-6 argentina( tries scored by throwing the ball at the line dont count), england 36-0 and 30-25 samoa.

South Africa have been tested. Tested does not have to mean losing a match.

We dealt with the numerous unpenalized high tackles and the sheer physicality of the fijians, got a lucky bounce and beat samoa, dealt with the tricky play and tactics of argentina and....well we responded to the pressure and tests.

Don't get me wrong, either team could win on Saturday. South Africa will def not be playing the same England team as earlier on in the tournament BUT England will also not be playing against the same South African team as earlier in the tournament.

Roltel: I said that strategy won't win this final

South Africa regardless of the opposition, pathetic referees or downright incorrect TMO decisions have been scoring points. Points win matches. England IMO will not win the final in a low scoring affair. They will need tries, and more than one.

37-20 fiji, 37-6 argentina( tries scored by throwing the ball at the line dont count), england 36-0 and 30-25 samoa.

South Africa have been tested. Tested does not have to mean losing a match.

We dealt with the numerous unpenalized high tackles and the sheer physicality of the fijians, got a lucky bounce and beat samoa, dealt with the tricky play and tactics of argentina and....well we responded to the pressure and tests.

Don't get me wrong, either team could win on Saturday. South Africa will def not be playing the same England team as earlier on in the tournament BUT England will also not be playing against the same South African team as earlier in the tournament.

I'm sorry Mo Rush, I think you are believing too much of your own team's hype! Whatever hapens on Saturday,the English can hold their heads high. I just hope after Yeye's little pep talk, it goes our way!!!! His statement is a gift from the gods...

Do I detect a slight hint of long-term bitterness? :lol:

We scored as many tries as Australia in that final.

LOL _ I think I've long got over that one!

Anyway, I can put nationalism aside if can see a great sporting achievements or the start of a new sports tradition _ and England winning back to back would sure qualify on those terms for me!

Now you've said that I feel like being devilish.

Let's re-open some old wounds.

At least your guys will have French chefs tending to them this time, and the South Africans won't be able to spike the food like they did before the 1995 final!

;)

Don't tempt fate my darling!!!

At least your guys will have French chefs tending to them this time, and the South Africans won't be able to spike the food like they did before the 1995 final!

Me thinks the Yarpies won't be so lucky when it comes to their dinning arangments come next world cup ;)

Me thinks the Yarpies won't be so lucky when it comes to their dinning arangments come next world cup ;)
:lol::lol::lol:

Somehow I doubt it...Anyway SA are fervernt supporters of NZ2011! it was THEIR vot that won it for us!!!

Me Thinks AUSTRALIA will feel queazies in their tumtums!! Pushing us out of 2003 hosting and their adament support for JAPAN ( former WWII Buddies...Not!) in the battle for 2011! :lol:

And England fans will feel the full force of our ever increasingly tough police if they attempt to emulate their football counterparts! :blink: BOO! :blink::lol:

Me Thinks AUSTRALIA will feel queazies in their tumtums!! Pushing us out of 2003 hosting and their adament support for JAPAN ( former WWII Buddies...Not!) in the battle for 2011! :lol:

Mate, NZ pushed itself out of 2003 sub-hosting by getting huffy and high-and-mighty over stadium and sponsor signage.

And while I wish NZ the best of wishes for the success of 2011, and I'm happy to see the tournament just across the Tasman in a country that will really embrace it, I still think Japan would have been the better choice for the future development of the game. And yes, they are our buddies _ and pretty loyal and good friends these days at that!

And England fans will feel the full force of our ever increasingly tough police if they attempt to emulate their football counterparts!

As for the Poms, we're talking Pommy rugby fans here _ more pukka old-school tie types, rather than the typical soccer yobs. Remember, in England (as in Oz) Rugby's still more of an upper class code rather than a mass appeal game as in NZ.

And besides, as I'm sure Arwebb would have pointed out as well, "typical soccer yobs" make up a tiny minority of England's travelling "support" anyway. I don't think there's that great a difference between your average travelling rugby fan and football fan: both will have spent hundreds if not thousands of pounds to get to the tournament and neither wants trouble. Both will walk around foreign town centres dressed as King Arthur. Both will drink a fair amount of beer on their travels. Why one should be looked upon with suspicion and the other as an upper-class English gent I don't know.

The only reason the Rugby World Cup hasn't attracted yobs yet, is because it is not as high profile as the football world cup. People who travel just to make trouble attach themselves to football because they know they'll get the attention they crave; it's not because of some inherent difference between your average football and rugby fan as it's not the fans that are the problem.

And Alex, whilst I very much doubt there will be any trouble at NZ 2011, all the evidence suggests the tougher the police, the worse the situation will be with travelling yobs from whatever country so I'm not necessarily reassured by your statement. If the police mingle within the crowds on matchday people are comfortable witht them. If they look like they're going to beat the crap out of anything tha moves, anyone looking for trouble suddenly has something to react to.

As for the Poms, we're talking Pommy rugby fans here _ more pukka old-school tie types, rather than the typical soccer yobs. Remember, in England (as in Oz) Rugby's still more of an upper class code rather than a mass appeal game as in NZ.

That's a rather quaintly outdated view.Rugby League has always had a solid working-class background and even the traditionally upper class Rugby Union has growing mass appeal with fans from all backgrounds and walks of life! Watching and listening to the fans in Paris on TV last Saturday,I didn't detect too many public school accents!

Rob's excellent response also speaks for me too!

That's a rather quaintly outdated view.Rugby League has always had a solid working-class background and even the traditionally upper class Rugby Union has growing mass appeal with fans from all backgrounds and walks of life! Watching and listening to the fans in Paris on TV last Saturday,I didn't detect too many public school accents!

Rob's excellent response also speaks for me too!

Maybe it is an outdated notion, even in Australia. Nevertheless, the stereotype image of the Rugby supporter here is of someone wearing tweed jackets with leather elbow patches _ probably brought on by the fact that it's still the private schools that are still the heartland for junior rugby here.

:mellow: ...Still, I believe the the England supporters will be the rowdiest here in 2011, sorry guys but the Lions 2005 supporters were just a taste of whats to come! Fleets of 787's on their way!

Most Australian supporters will just zip accross the ditch for the Wallabies games and fly out again that evening!

Although it's 47 months away, any from GB Forums comming over?

Maybee it's time to start networking for accomodations etc...

OH YEAH, :lol:Go England!:lol:

:mellow: ...Still, I believe the the England supporters will be the rowdiest here in 2011, sorry guys but the Lions 2005 supporters were just a taste of whats to come! Fleets of 787's on their way!

Most Australian supporters will just zip accross the ditch for the Wallabies games and fly out again that evening!

Although it's 47 months away, any from GB Forums comming over?

Maybee it's time to start networking for accomodations etc...

OH YEAH, :lol:Go England!:lol:

I am thinking of coming, demands on ticket prices and weather I am in Canada, England, the US, Australia or Japan.

I'm glad to see Argentina finish the tournament on a high after having had such a good one apart from the one semi-final game. Though it does indeed seem like rance was just going through the motions.That's the problem with 3rd-4th place play-offs, they're such a comedown and must be hard to get motivated for.

Now on to the real match!

England, England, England, Oi! Oi! Oi!

Archived