2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

Yesterday's results.

South Africa: 30 - Tonga: 25

England: 44 - Samoa: 22

Argentina: 63 - Namibia: 3

Today's matches.

- Australia vs. Fiji @ Montpellier (2:30pm)

- Scotland vs. New Zealand @ Edinburgh, Scotland, UK (5:00pm)

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<_< Yeah pretty mundane and, well, boring....Roll on quaters and semis time! This "Tactical Positioning" bullsh*t by Scotland and other second tier teams have truly made a farce of this cup. Argentina, Samoa and Tonga have made a real fist of it. Just a shame that Argentina will be the only one making it through.

The IRB really needs to look at this ridiculous set up befor the 2011RWC. Sorry to the so called minnows but unless something is done about the chasim tween the top and middle tier and the emerging teams, then the '11 cup should just be 16 teams only.

Post this RWC we probibly will see the changes being made. A parallel event is a must! :angry:

It is the structure of the tournament that has forced coaches into this position. As much as many pundits and spectators have voiced their disapproval of it, any coach worth his salt is going to do everything that he possibly can to maximise his side's chances of progressing in the tournament.

Even if they had fielded their first choice XVs, there was little or no chance of an upset in either of yesterday's games. Therefore, it makes sense for them to focus on their bigger games. It may not be nice to see teams being so blatant about it, but until something is done to tackle either the scheduling of games or making the squads coaches are allowed to pick larger (or even both), this kind of thing will continue.

I haven't been able to catch many of the games due to the timing of the matches but I did get to see the Tonga/South Africa game and boy was that a cracker. Teams like Tonga and Argentina have really lifted there game this world cup.

I haven't been able to catch many of the games due to the timing of the matches but i get to see the Tonga/South Africa game and boy was that a cracker. Teams like Tonga, Samoa and Argentina have really lifted there game this world cup.

yea i agree with you. I cant wait to see tonga vs England this weekend

Today's scores.

Romania: 14 - Portugal: 10

Canada and Japan tied each other with 12 points each.

Tomorrow's matches.

- Samoa vs. USA @ St-Etienne (8:00pm)

- Georgia vs. Namibia @ Lens (6:00pm)

yea i agree with you. I cant wait to see tonga vs England this weekend

The key question is going to be whether Tonga can pull out one more massive performance. If they can, we've got a hell of a Test match.

Meanwhile, the suggestion appears to be that there is a real move to reduce the World Cup to 16 teams for 2011.

Minnows facing cull for 2011 Cup

If this is the way to develop the game, then it's the wrong way. Any thoughts?

Well, we're there thank goodness. Tonga should be very, very proud of themselves. As for us, it's on to Marseille and Australia next Saturday. God I hope that arrogant prat John O'Neill is sobbing into his Castlemaine XXXX come 4.00 next Saturday afternoon after his pathetic comments the other day.

If this is the way to develop the game, then it's the wrong way. Any thoughts?

How on earth is letting the minnows play other minnow teams going to develop the games?

IMO the only way you can develop a strong national team is to have a strong domestic competition and it some of these countries thats quite impossible. Argentina has got the right idea, most of the pumas play in leagues in Europe, mostly france and teams like Tonga and Samoa would exist if it wasn't for New Zealand holding up South Pacific rugby. Maybe South Africa and Australia would look at doing the same with players from Asian Nations and Africa. Same for the home union and europe. Just an idea.

Well England are through... just... A brilliant effort to Tonga who have done themselves proud! England v Australia! I would say England will be out in the quarter-finals! I cant see them beating Australia on current form

It's fair to say, however, that John O'Neill did the England team talk for him when he said: "It doesn't matter whether it's cricket, rugby, rugby league - we all hate England".

It's all here, clear as crystal.

O'Neill takes aim at England (Xenophobia lives here)

The man is an idiot, proving once and for all that he is unfit to hold his position. England have moved on in their last two games, complete with key personnel back. Arrogant morons like O'Neill will only serve to make our task easier.

New Zealand has just beaten romania 85-8! An ok game for the all blacks but still not perfect! Quarter Finals next weekend so will need to improve. Dan Carter suffering a calf muscle injury but hopes to be available for the quarter final next weekend. Looking like a france v new zealand quarter final!

Is it just me, or this this Rugby World Cup even longer than the Cricket World Cup...? \it feels like it is going on forever! :(

:angry: Bloody close to it Beth!

Far too many teams! I believe New Zealand '11 will cut back down to 16 with a minnows repecharge world cup just before - the top four going through to the main event.

Also some of the playing programmes have been deplorable.

What has saddened me about this RWC is watching the minnow and second tier nations playing there all and getting little back for it, ie Tonga, Japan, Georgia and Portugal as examples.

I can definitly see some serious meetings being had in Dublin about it come November!

:angry: Bloody close to it Beth!

Far too many teams! I believe New Zealand '11 will cut back down to 16 with a minnows repecharge world cup just before - the top four going through to the main event.

Also some of the playing programmes have been deplorable.

What has saddened me about this RWC is watching the minnow and second tier nations playing there all and getting little back for it, ie Tonga, Japan, Georgia and Portugal as examples.

I can definitly see some serious meetings being had in Dublin about it come November!

There is one massive problem with what you're suggesting and it's this. In this tournament, we have seen hugely impressive performances from many of the so-called lesser nations. Fiji have made the last eight now. Tonga were very close to joining them. Georgia could, and perhaps should, have beaten Ireland. Namibia and Portugal, for their level, have acquited themselves extremely well. I could go on and on.

The point is that in order to enhance the overall level of competition in the Rugby World Cup, we have to give the smaller nations MORE opportunities to play the big powers, not less. If this happens, it will set the cause of making rugby a truly global game back years. It must be resisted at all costs.

A dark day for Welsh rugby as Fiji knock them out, but a good day for world rugby perhaps. Meanwhile Scotland edge past Italy, but only just.

Nothing has been said about carter yet. But he is still confident to be ready! He is having a scan on monday. A fantastic result for Fiji, their first time in the quarter finals since 1987. Well deserved and overall it will be a fantastic thing for world rugby. The pacific island teams have performed brilliantly at these champs with fiji making it to the quarters and tonga pushing south africa to the brink. Samoa would be the most disappointing out of the three but still done well against england.

Samoa have been disappointing overall though, it has to be said. They were the team who were really expected to challenge England and they could not beat Tonga, even with a two man advantage in the closing minutes. They do seem to have taken backward steps.

Samoa have been disappointing overall though, it has to be said. They were the team who were really expected to challenge England and they could not beat Tonga, even with a two man advantage in the closing minutes. They do seem to have taken backward steps.

yea but tonga and fiji have clearly improved which overall has to be good for rugby!

Archived