2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:huh: OOOwh can see big $$$$ for logistics in that, prehaps a knock down version of 16 teams would've been better with a final and a repicharge for the top four to gain a spot in the main event.

Certainly it was a very radical proposal, and probably one that the IRB largely weren't ready to consider at that time. But a country like ours would certainly have the infrastructure to be able to cope with something like that. Plus, it would give the very smallest rugby nations exposure on the world stage, which can be no bad thing.

I seem to remember a similar event being staged around the rugby league world cup around the mid-90s as well.

Okay. Is it just me or is there a reason for these "one match per day" idea that looks prevalent in the 2007 RWC schedule? Again, just one match for today for the third day in a row.

- Wales vs. Japan @ Cardiff, Wales, UK (9:00pm)

Without thinking about recovery time for the teams themselves, perhaps. Either allow more recovery time or bigger squads.

Squads are 30 so you think that the schedule could be compacted a little more. O well tonight it should be a win to wales!

No, what I'm saying is that, if you want the games to be played closer together, you have to give the teams bigger starting squads for the tournament. More than 30.

I think its stupid to have 7, 8, 9 or as many as 12 days between matches, its ridiculous. There is nothing wrong with the games being played

It would make more sense to have

Day 1 - 2 Group A Matches

Day 2 - 2 Group B Matches

Day 3 - 2 Group C Matches

Day 4 - 2 Group D Matches

Day 5 - 2 Group A Matches

day 6 - 2 Group B Matches

Day 7 - 2 Group C Matches

Day 8 - 2 Group D Matches

Day 9 - 2 Group A Matches

Day 10 - 2 Group B Matches

Day 11 - 2 Group C Matches

Day 12 - 2 Group D Matches

Day 13 - 2 Group A Matches

Day 14 - 2 Group B Matches

Day 15 - 2 Group C Matches

Day 16 - 2 Group D Matches

Day 17 - 2 Group A Matches

Day 18 - 2 Group B Matches

Day 19 - 2 Group C Matches

Day 20 - 2 Group D Matches

Day24 - 2 Quarterfinal Matches

Day 25 - 2 Quarterfinal Matches

Day 29 - 1 Semi-Final Match

Day 30 - 1 Semi-Final Match

Day 34 - 1 Final and 1 Third Place Match

Instead of 44 days its 34 and if the tournaments goes back down to 16, than it will be 30 days. More respectable and less dragged out.

Every team has 3 4-day spans between matches and an 8 day span.

Final score: Wales: 72 - Japan: 18.

Again, just one match for tomorrow. It involves the host nation: FRANCE vs. Ireland @ Saint-Denis.

big win for wales... should be a real grudge match with france v ireland!! Great game

<_< France 25 Ireland 3.

France intrack to avoid the All Blacks in the Quarters....Or should that be the All Blacks have avoided France!

This is why France is so unpredicatble!!!

big win to france... Will be interesting if argentina beat ireland which is possible then France will meet the All Blacks... I will be quite happy to meet france in the quarters as the game is played in wales! Will take out the home ground advantage!

Today's matches.

- South Africa vs. Tonga @ Lens (2:00pm)

- England vs. Samoa @ Nantes (4:00pm)

- Argentina vs. Namibia @ Marseille (9:00pm)

Big match tonight for England. Must win really if they want to make it any further in the competition. They will have their hands full with samoa... Should be a fantastic game

<_< Another non-event tonight, New Zealand B v Scotland B...

Have to admit the Island nations gave the two superpowers a run for the money today, didn't they? :mellow:

Argentina definatly the pool leaders with their trouncing of Namibia.

Argentina v Ireland the highlight match of the pools to look foward to!

:mellow: Even if Ireland beat Argentina, they'll have to beat them well. They have to score four tries so to get through.

Surprisingly we don't hear much from Australia...The real scary thing is that the Wallabies play well when no one takes notice of them...Very much the dark horse of this RWC!

Much as I want to see it, I can't see Ireland beating Argentina.

It'll be a great game, and I think many people will be torn as to their preferences. Everyone loves the Irish team, but, well, who could not be pleased to see a resurgance of the Pumas.

By the way, thanks everyone who's contributed in this thread for keeping me updated. At a time I've ben pre-occupied, this thread has been may main source for keeping up with what's happening at the WC. Now the business end of the tournament is imminent, though, I'll sure be jumping right in.

Archived