2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

Gosh I think we are looking at a Southern Hemisphere RWC semi finals, and STILL over a month to go...

In three years the Northern Hemisphere Rugby has gone from finally catching up to falling back another three!!!

This even sets the result up for the 2011 tournament! International rugby dosen't need this. England and France better pull their fingers out pronto if they are to make a go of this RWC! :angry:

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
108-13 win to the All Blacks! Good work but portugal did ok and they will always remember the try they scored against the All Blacks

Like many Portuguese, I couldn't see the game, as the national broadcasting rights were given to a pay-TV channel. How strong were the All Blacks? Did the player changes had any effect on their usual performance? It's just that scoring a try against them seemed almost impossible, let alone finish the game with practically the same points as Italy. That's why I'm wondering if, involuntarily, NZ "stepped down" on the pedal.

For us it is a great result, obviously. A try! :lol: But I'm been reading how awful such mismatches are for the game's image. It wasn't that bad, was it?

Bring on Italy! Go Lobos! B)

For me the tournament came alive today.

This is why we have 20 nations in the RWC, not just 8.

I think that we will see more results like this over the next few years. The IRBs new European Nations Cup format is starting to pay off with some real competition for the smaller European Nations. All the smaller nations have played well so far.

Bring on some more upsets!

A repeat of the final scores, if some of us didn't see a couple of them from the other posts.

Australia: 32 - Wales: 20

New Zealand: 108 - Portugal: 13

Ireland: 14 - Georgia: 10

Tomorrow's matches.

- Samoa vs. Tonga @ Montpellier (4:00pm)

- Fiji vs. Canada @ Cardiff, Wales, UK (2:00pm)

- FRANCE vs. Namibia @ Toulouse (9:00pm)

For me the tournament came alive today.

This is why we have 20 nations in the RWC, not just 8.

I think that we will see more results like this over the next few years. The IRBs new European Nations Cup format is starting to pay off with some real competition for the smaller European Nations. All the smaller nations have played well so far.

Bring on some more upsets!

:mellow: I hope so!

Still, I believe a minor bowl final sevens style play off should occur to really give those second tier nations something to aim for and liven up the RWC. A classic would be the likes of Georgia, USA, Canada, etc, giving them an incentive to try harder. Of course this would help the IRB coffers as well.

Just an idea?... :blink:

:mellow: I hope so!

Still, I believe a minor bowl final sevens style play off should occur to really give those second tier nations something to aim for and liven up the RWC. A classic would be the likes of Georgia, USA, Canada, etc, giving them an incentive to try harder. Of course this would help the IRB coffers as well.

Just an idea?... :blink:

I actually really like that idea... It will definately give these teams more incentive...

This being the kind of proposal that England put in their 2007 bid and the IRB didn't want to know.

Yeah well the IRB better think of something really fast as these one tonne scorelines are doing the worst for the game! It's happened at every RWC!

How demoralising it is for the "minnow" nations, really only there for the first four weeks and then shoved off into oblivion, having to go through the rigmoral of qualifying for 2011. Why bother!

It DOES look like that the IRB is looking to reduce the teams for 2011 to 16 and a repecharge World Cup for the minnows in 2010 with the top four going to New Zealand! :unsure:

Yeah well the IRB better think of something really fast as these one tonne scorelines are doing the worst for the game! It's happened at every RWC!

How demoralising it is for the "minnow" nations, really only there for the first four weeks and then shoved off into oblivion, having to go through the rigmoral of qualifying for 2011. Why bother!

It DOES look like that the IRB is looking to reduce the teams for 2011 to 16 and a repecharge World Cup for the minnows in 2010 with the top four going to New Zealand! :unsure:

I think that sounds like a good idea!

A good start, but it needs to go much further. I hate to keep repeating myself, but the England 2007 bid showed the kind of proposals we need to be looking at.

I have to admit I have know idea what England proposed - A quick summary please? :huh:

I have to admit I have know idea what England proposed - A quick summary please? :huh:

In a nutshell, what the RFU put on the table was a 16 team World Cup, plus a 32 team World Nations Cup running alongside the main tournament and being played at smaller grounds around the country.

The latest score of 42-0 certainly looks comfortable for the Scots. Not sure they'll have as nice a time on Sunday afternoon, however.

Great win or scotland... They are meant to playing their B team against the All Blacks on sunday. Should be another easy win to the All Blacks

In a nutshell, what the RFU put on the table was a 16 team World Cup, plus a 32 team World Nations Cup running alongside the main tournament and being played at smaller grounds around the country.

:huh: OOOwh can see big $$$$ for logistics in that, prehaps a knock down version of 16 teams would've been better with a final and a repicharge for the top four to gain a spot in the main event.

Another one match for one day scenario. This time, it is Italy vs. Portugal @ Paris (8:00pm).

Italy should win today comfortably! I think the schedule is too far spread out! One game per day is not enough really... The schedule could easily be concentrated which would be more exciting for fans

Archived