2007 Irb Rugby World Cup

With less than a month to go, rugby fans from around the world will be focusing their attention to France. I do not think this was intentional, but FIFA has their Women's World Cup taking place in China "at the same time." Oh, well. ^_^

First, the link to the official website.

Link: Official Website Of France 2007 IRB World Cup

Second, as a reminder for some of us, here are the teams that are in it and their pools.

Pool A:

- England

- South Africa

- Samoa

- USA

- Tonga

Pool B:

- Australia

- Wales

- Fiji

- Canada

- Japan

Pool C:

- New Zealand

- Scotland

- Italy

- Romania

- Portugal

Pool D:

- France (host nation)

- Ireland

- Argentina

- Georgia

- Namibia

Link: The Standings Page, By Pool, From Official Website

Third, even though France is the host nation of this tournament, some matches are to be hosted in Cardiff (Wales) and Edinburgh (Scotland).

French Rugby Match Venues

- Paris

- Lens

- Montpellier

- Saint-Denis

- Nantes

- St-Etienne

- Lyon

- Toulouse

- Bordeaux

- Marseille

Link: The Fixture Page

In the history of this World Cup, which is only been held 5 times until this year, Australia has won it 2 times, with New Zealand and South Africa won it once each. However, the defending champion from the last tournament, in 2003, is England.

In any case, good luck to all teams in this World Cup.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worryingly, there does seem to be a little bit of optimism in some quarters for England's defence. I say worryingly, because we really wasted most of the last four years and this tournament has come too soon for us. If we get beyond the quarter-finals we will have done very well.

Well, the All Blacks once again go into it as favourites. But come to think of it, have they ever NOT gone into a RWC as favourites?

TRUE!!!!

But after twenty years I think we have to ALL agree that the RWC is anyone's for the taking...Pre cup I can see Australia, England, France, New Zealand and South Africa the only viable contenders at this moment.

Well, the All Blacks once again go into it as favourites. But come to think of it, have they ever NOT gone into a RWC as favourites?

I sware rotel if you start jinxing the AB's I will personally fly to Sydney and slap you silly! ;)

TRUE!!!!

But after twenty years I think we have to ALL agree that the RWC is anyone's for the taking...Pre cup I can see Australia, England, France, New Zealand and South Africa the only viable contenders at this moment.

Ireland?

As of last Monday, August 13th, here are the IRB World Rankings, listing only the top ten while leaving the rest in the link below.

1. New Zealand -> 93.38 points

2. Australia -> 87.03 points

3. France -> 86.35 points

4. South Africa -> 84.85 points

5. Argentina -> 82.43 points

6. Ireland -> 80.96 points

7. England -> 78.89 points

8. Wales -> 75.61 points

9. Italy -> 75.53 points

10. Scotland -> 75.50 points

Well, it is not surprising that all the traditional world powers in the sport should be listed there. As for the rest of the nations:

Link: IRB's Complete World Rankings List

As of last Monday, August 13th, here are the IRB World Rankings, listing only the top ten while leaving the rest in the link below.

3. France -> 86.35 points

4. South Africa -> 84.85 points

5. Argentina -> 82.43 points

6. Ireland -> 80.96 points

8. Wales -> 75.61 points

9. Italy -> 75.53 points

10. Scotland -> 75.50 points

If you ever wanted to pair down a RWC for economy's sake, then this would be it! The Six nations, Tri - Nations and Argentina. Love to see what the 2027 Rwc would look like, guess I'll just have to hang in there.

Looks like the tension's getting to you, never mind the team :lol:

Yeah me and 5 million other kiwis around the globe. Just you watch, if it's anyone that will talk up the All Blacks it will be the foreign media and not NZ'ers

Yeah me and 5 million other kiwis around the globe. Just you watch, if it's anyone that will talk up the All Blacks it will be the foreign media and not NZ'ers

And the reason they'll talk the All Blacks up is because of the performances they've produced over the past four years, and the incomperable strength in depth they have.

• 2 weeks later...

It all starts next week from today. Again, to my knowledge, I really didn't know that Canada had a good international rugby team. In any case, good luck to them in France.

:huh: I was a young teenager in 1987, I've seen all the RWCs and I can tell you that no matter how good the All Blacks (or any other top tier team) are, the RWC does strange thinks to players and at the moment no one has the right to say they are bringing it home...And this is coming from a Kiwi! :unsure:

:huh: I was a young teenager in 1987, I've seen all the RWCs and I can tell you that no matter how good the All Blacks (or any other top tier team) are, the RWC does strange thinks to players and at the moment no one has the right to say they are bringing it home...And this is coming from a Kiwi! :unsure:

I actually agree with you. I was only a few months old in 1987 but i remember 1995 and 1999 when we were favourites! Good luck new zealand

No team or individual ever has a divine right to win anything. However, the fact that New Zealand are the overwhelming odds-on favourites with the bookmakers here suggests plenty.

Having said that, I think England at 28/1 is a very tasty each-way prospect.

Well, just before the 2007 Rugby World Cup gets underway on Friday, there seems to be a slight change of the rankings. I don't recall any rugby matches ever been played recently, but here is an updated list that was dated yesterday.

3. France -> 86.90 points

4. South Africa -> 85.40 points

5. Ireland -> 81.12 points

6. Argentina -> 81.05 points

8. Wales -> 76.45 points

9. Italy -> 75.37 points

10. Samoa -> 74.97 points

Link: IRB's World Rankings List

Well, just before the 2007 Rugby World Cup gets underway on Friday, there seems to be a slight change of the rankings. I don't recall any rugby matches ever been played recently, but here is an updated list that was dated yesterday.

8. Wales -> 76.45 points

9. Italy -> 75.37 points

thanks for the final rankings! New Zealand looks the clear favourite. But that counts for nothing in 4 days time with kick off of game one!

8. Wales -> 76.45 points

9. Italy -> 75.37 points

Canada ranked 13th, I didnt even know we had Rugby fields in Canada, let alone a damn decent international team.......

Canada ranked 13th, I didnt even know we had Rugby fields in Canada, let alone a damn decent international team.......

you must remember that the gap between the top 6 or 7 ranked teams and the rest is rather large

Archived