1. 1. The REAL contenders

• Chicago, USA
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • Rio, Brazil

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2014 Brazil Fifa World Cup is to be confirmed soon.

I, and many others here, are of the opinion that this might not necessarily be seen as a positive by the IOC. From what I understand Brazil has an awful lot of work to do to for 2014. The IOC won't want the games to play second fiddle for the five years running up to the world cup only for a rush to get ready in the last two years.

Rio would make a beautiful host city at some point in the future, but I think there is a danger of Brazil taking on too much.

Hi HUMANITY, Ni hao ma ? :D since you are from Taiwan, I want to know something... how about taiwan bidding for 2020 ? Is there any news about that ? xie xie...

Hi Tana Ray. Hen hao. Ni shi yini ren ma?

Oh, about Taiwan 2020... Well, the news are that there is confirmation of the plan to apply for the bid. Of course that there is public support here, and if Taiwanese people decide to do something together, they can be very organized, disciplined and strong. But this will be their first bid, and against so many candidates, besides the opposition from China :angry: and the closeness to Beijing 2008. Anyway, let the bid process help the contenders to have a positive vision for development.

In 2009, Kaohsiung city in the south will be hosting the World Games, an alternative sports event all with non-olympic sports. Its a much much smaller event, but the experience is valid, and the city is becoming more and more attractive and improving its infrastructure continuously in the last years, much of it in connection with these World Games.

Zai Jian!

:)

I, and many others here, are of the opinion that this might not necessarily be seen as a positive by the IOC. From what I understand Brazil has an awful lot of work to do to for 2014. The IOC won't want the games to play second fiddle for the five years running up to the world cup only for a rush to get ready in the last two years.

Rio would make a beautiful host city at some point in the future, but I think there is a danger of Brazil taking on too much.

This is a true point to consider. But we shall not forget that the World Cup is decentralized and comparatively a way much smaller burden to Rio. Brazil is a huge country and the host cities for the world cup are thousands of km far apart from each other. There will be probably about 10 cities receiving the w cup, which means that Rio participation will be around 10%, more or less. For you to have an idea, there are more than 20 potential cities applying for the World Cup, and it's being very difficult to narrow them down to 10, because there are more realistic options available than the maximum World Cup demand. Perhaps no other country in the world has so many football stadiums spread all over like Brazil. You have to take a few countries in Europe together to match that.

Most of the cities have already the main infrastructure built up and ready, including international airports, accommodation, stadiums, etc. The reforms required vary from city to city, and the expenses and organization will be divided accordingly amongst sport clubs, private companies, and city, state and federal governments. So there is no such thing as rush, except for the great expectation and stimulus that the World Cup will give to the whole country.

The RIO 2016 games on the other hand are a completely different business, focused just in one city which can divide the whole preparation process in phases and fulfill step by step all the requirements. Much ground work was already done for the Pan American Games, which no other bidding city has done in the last few years.

Hi Tana Ray. Hen hao. Ni shi yini ren ma?

Oh, about Taiwan 2020... Well, the news are that there is confirmation of the plan to apply for the bid. Of course that there is public support here, and if Taiwanese people decide to do something together, they can be very organized, disciplined and strong. But this will be their first bid, and against so many candidates, besides the opposition from China :angry: and the closeness to Beijing 2008. Anyway, let the bid process help the contenders to have a positive vision for development.

In 2009, Kaohsiung city in the south will be hosting the World Games, an alternative sports event all with non-olympic sports. Its a much much smaller event, but the experience is valid, and the city is becoming more and more attractive and improving its infrastructure continuously in the last years, much of it in connection with these World Games.

Zai Jian!

Wo shi In ni ren ? Hahahahah, it's hard to tell who am I ? coz I am a Indonesian Born Chinesse, so who am I ? In ni ren ma ? Zhongguo ren ma ? Duo bu qi, wo bu shuo zhong wen... :(, so Kaohsiung will be the candidate city from Taiwan huh ? Or maybe there is other city from Taiwan who will be candidate city ? Like Taipeh ? Ok, good luck for Taiwan, but I think before Taiwan being a host for Olympic games, how to become Asian Games host first ? I thought Taiwan never be Asian Games host before ?

Xie xie ni, Zai Jian

This is a true point to consider. But we shall not forget that the World Cup is decentralized and comparatively a way much smaller burden to Rio. Brazil is a huge country and the host cities for the world cup are thousands of km far apart from each other. There will be probably about 10 cities receiving the w cup, which means that Rio participation will be around 10%, more or less. For you to have an idea, there are more than 20 potential cities applying for the World Cup, and it's being very difficult to narrow them down to 10, because there are more realistic options available than the maximum World Cup demand. Perhaps no other country in the world has so many football stadiums spread all over like Brazil. You have to take a few countries in Europe together to match that.

Most of the cities have already the main infrastructure built up and ready, including international airports, accommodation, stadiums, etc. The reforms required vary from city to city, and the expenses and organization will be divided accordingly amongst sport clubs, private companies, and city, state and federal governments. So there is no such thing as rush, except for the great expectation and stimulus that the World Cup will give to the whole country.

The RIO 2016 games on the other hand are a completely different business, focused just in one city which can divide the whole preparation process in phases and fulfill step by step all the requirements. Much ground work was already done for the Pan American Games, which no other bidding city has done in the last few years.

Congratulations for the answer Humanity... and thanks for your support! As a brazilian, and a Rio de Janeiro Citizen, I can say that what he said is totally true. I don't know why people keep saying that we have less chances because of the "world cup" issue... Perhaps it shows that this time Rio has a lot of chances to win the game, and this is making others feel aprehensive... it makes no sense at tall saying that 2014 will spoil our chances for 2016... as Humanity said, the WC is staged in many cities... as Brazil is a huge country, that makes no differente for Rio at all... what it can do is HELP our chances since Rio is going to have to improve many infrastructure for the WC, and continue what was made for the Pan Am Games... so, I really don't understand what's the point of saying such a thing...

The IOC is not ignorant of what it takes to stage both a GOOD Olympics and a good World Cup. That's why it allots 7 years' lead time. Theoretically, even if Rio will be the centerpiece of 2014, it appears it could be done. But speaking as one who has worked in at least 1 Olympics, the amount of detail to be attended to, is INCREDIBLE! You will NOT believe it until you've actually immersed yourselves in it.

So, all the more so. Rio's trying to do a one-two knockout will be deemed 'too much' -- so that preparations for the latter show (2016) will suffer after the first sprint for 2014. In the eyes of the IOC, Brazil and Rio's resources are being lavished to prepare for a good 2014 (hopefully). There is also the matter of the economy. What if Brazil goes into big hock for 2014; and then the economy takes a dive going into 2016? THat means the 2016 budget will have to be cut, etc.,etc., therefore, 2016 will suffer. That is something the IOC can't risk.

This'll also go for the corporate sponsors. After 2014, they are going to be depleted. I don't think you will find enough companies (save the 2 or 3 biggest Brazilian companies) to want to commit, say $40 mil (or whatever the cruzeiro equivalent is) for the World Cup; and then commit a similar (or even bigger) amount for the Olympics -- overlapping for a few years? I don't believe that corporate environment will exist. And the IOC's marketing consultants will certainly alert the IOC to this leading up to the vote.

Further, I don't believe the IOC will want to deal with another 'Athens' city -- and 1 big global sporting event a mere 2 years before their IOC show -- regardless of how you justify that the other one is spread around -- and risk their product WHEN there are other equally capable cities that will NOT be distracted by another high profile, global sports event. Learn from Korea's heart-breaking PyongChang experience. They had too many events already, which is why the IOC gave 2014 to the Russians.

Besides, guys -- here's the secret: the sports world top honchos would've just gathered in Rio in 2014; they wouldn't want to meet and gather there again in JUST 2 years' time! They like to travel; :lol: spread things around. Which is why 2014 is more of a liability for Rio than you care to admit. But hey, I hope Rio or Tokyo are the frontrunners, all the way until the evening of 1 October 2009.

The IOC is not ignorant of what it takes to stage both a GOOD Olympics and a good World Cup. That's why it allots 7 years' lead time. Theoretically, even if Rio will be the centerpiece of 2014, it appears it could be done. But speaking as one who has worked in at least 1 Olympics, the amount of detail to be attended to, is INCREDIBLE! You will NOT believe it until you've actually immersed yourselves in it.

So, all the more so. Rio's trying to do a one-two knockout will be deemed 'too much' -- so that preparations for the latter show (2016) will suffer after the first sprint for 2014. In the eyes of the IOC, Brazil and Rio's resources are being lavished to prepare for a good 2014 (hopefully). There is also the matter of the economy. What if Brazil goes into big hock for 2014; and then the economy takes a dive going into 2016? THat means the 2016 budget will have to be cut, etc.,etc., therefore, 2016 will suffer. That is something the IOC can't risk.

This'll also go for the corporate sponsors. After 2014, they are going to be depleted. I don't think you will find enough companies (save the 2 or 3 biggest Brazilian companies) to want to commit, say $40 mil (or whatever the cruzeiro equivalent is) for the World Cup; and then commit a similar (or even bigger) amount for the Olympics -- overlapping for a few years? I don't believe that corporate environment will exist. And the IOC's marketing consultants will certainly alert the IOC to this leading up to the vote.

Further, I don't believe the IOC will want to deal with another 'Athens' city -- and 1 big global sporting event a mere 2 years before their IOC show -- regardless of how you justify that the other one is spread around -- and risk their product WHEN there are other equally capable cities that will NOT be distracted by another high profile, global sports event. Learn from Korea's heart-breaking PyongChang experience. They had too many events already, which is why the IOC gave 2014 to the Russians.

Besides, guys -- here's the secret: the sports world top honchos would've just gathered in Rio in 2014; they wouldn't want to meet and gather there again in JUST 2 years' time! They like to travel; :lol: spread things around. Which is why 2014 is more of a liability for Rio than you care to admit. But hey, I hope Rio or Tokyo are the frontrunners, all the way until the evening of 2 October 2009.

Actually, our economy is getting much more consistent... and talking about crisis is something that can affect the whole globe... so let's say that the current american crisis comes back in 2015.... would Chicago Bid be in risk? brazilian economy is the 9th in the world... so I don't think this is a huge problem. Besides that, they want the WC to be more sponsored by private companies than paid by public money... so... and about sharing sponsor for both events.. don't the olympics have their fixed sponsors? and besides that.... brazilian companies are growing.. they want more international participation, so they wouldn't miss this oportunity to invest... and there are the international ones... The biggest 2 or 3 brazilian companies have enough REAIS budget to do so. How can u tell that Rio will be another Athens? And besides that... I think that the Athens games were better than Atlanta... and about travelling for the sports members... I think everybody would love to come twice to Rio... that's not a problem at al.. believe me.

so let's say that the current american crisis comes back in 2015.... would Chicago Bid be in risk?

The current crisis is in home mortgages. But because the way Games played in the US are financed, by private resources, that will insulate, say a Chicago 2016 effort from the vagaries and vicissitudes on a national scale, should the US economy take a downturn leading to 2016. But see, 2016 happens in a US presidential election year, and the gov't/administration always makes sure that the economy will at least be positive in a leap/Olympic/presidential election year -- so that element is not considered in a Chicago candidacy. ;)

It's kinda hard arguing with people who only pick-and-choose the points they want to debate when the others are equally valid, and of course, for those new in the game, tend to ignore the importance of the other factors that seem to operate only in the background. And especially flying in the face of what's predicted and has happened, if not, most recently --- study Korea's (and Madrid's) recent experiences with winning and losing sports meets. The Koreans have been very good at it; but like you, they tried to put too much on their plate -- and the IOC didn't bite. History is the best teacher. I'm just saying this so you don't buy wholly into your own spiel and then become hopelessly crushed. Outsiders can offer you a more unbiased perspective than those in the inside. It's up to you to balance your priorities.

say $40 mil (or whatever the cruzeiro equivalent is) for the World Cup;

The currency in Brazil is the "Real" (R$) since 1994 when this name replaced the old "Cruzeiro". Try to get some more actualized data to discuss about Brazilian economy, now the 9th biggest in the world, and for Brazil money wasn't, isn't and won't be a problem. About Rio candidacy we have to discuss about investments in infra-structure like subway system and police supllies not about if Brazil have money... It proved for more than 2 decades Brazil didn't get near to crash, and if you search Brazil haven't crashed in any time of history... Brazil is not Argentina and Brazilian currency is Real.

The currency in Brazil is the "Real" (R$) since 1994 when this name replaced the old "Cruzeiro". Try to get some more actualized data to discuss about Brazilian economy, now the 9th biggest in the world, and for Brazil money wasn't, isn't and won't be a problem. About Rio candidacy we have to discuss about investments in infra-structure like subway system and police supllies not about if Brazil have money... It proved for more than 2 decades Brazil didn't get near to crash, and if you search Brazil haven't crashed in any time of history... Brazil is not Argentina and Brazilian currency is Real.

9th biggest? Well, why was your president Lula at first hesitant to commit to FIFA? Real, curziero -- same thing. So I'm 13 years behind. It's not like I am flying to Brazil tomorrow. You seem to be skirting the issue: Rio is NOT the only candidate for 2016. Right now, the IOC has 6 other candidates. The point is: why will they go with a city/country that just staged the other BIGGEST, MOST EXPENSIVE sports extravaganza, when there are 6 others that are NOT distracted or depleted by the earlier event? :blink:

9th biggest? Well, why was your president Lula at first hesitant to commit to FIFA? Real, curziero -- same thing. So I'm 13 years behind. It's not like I am flying to Brazil tomorrow. You seem to be skirting the issue: Rio is NOT the only candidate for 2016. Right now, the IOC has 6 other candidates. The point is: why will they go with a city/country that just staged the other BIGGEST, MOST EXPENSIVE sports extravaganza, when there are 6 others that are NOT distracted or depleted by the earlier event? :blink:

Lula at first hesitant to commit to FIFA?

Lula only speaks about World Cup, the guy is fascinated by soccer! Hesitant????????? For sure?

I believe, truly, Tokyo is the favorite right now. Madrid is always a great contestant...

There other cities in the race and I believe Rio have a hard work to make Olympic come to Brazil. But, the point is, the things you said just seems that only the "Helena Rubistein Circuit" could host the Games just because money, 3 billion dollars for a PanAm Games (the second biggest mulit-sports event) do you think is too much?. And you say "Real, Cruzeiro same thing"... Ask a Brazilian if Real and Cruzeiro are same thing...

It is not. Definitively.

It was my last post, we don't need this conversation. Rio is trying seriously, if Rio could make or not, IOC decides...

Tokyo is favourite but Rio can surprise...

DANIEL, I THINK I KNOW YA. ARE YA IN THE ORKUT'S COMMUNITY RIO 2016???

Baron is a prejudiced one. It finds that he knows the world. But healways treats the other cultures as inferior. Times behind he did write horrible things against the Muslen.

This type of vision on Brazil is common in the exterior. They think that the Brazilians are people who live in the forest and that we have hunger epidemics every year. Ignorant poor persons, must read more. As you it said, Tokyo is the favourite one, but Rio De Janeiro can surprise.

BARON CAN YA RERAD IT???

http://www.gov.ph/forum/thread.asp?rootID=83601&catID=9

Times behind he did write horrible things against the Muslen.

And what about the barbaric things Moslems have ACTUALLY done to others and their own kind, like killing them? blowing them, includindg innocent women and children, up? Beheading them - in this day and age?

At least all I do is write about them. <_<

Your inverted priorities kinda reflect your 'prejudiced' chances of Rio. But hey, I'm glad that Tokyo and Rio are the favourite ones as of now, as you say.

You cannot generalize. Just a small group of terrorist kills.There is a billion of muslin in the world, who in its immense majority are good people, and that they deserve respect. The United States had invaded Iraq and had killed innocents, then following its logic they are barbarous also. I do not see difference between Bush and Bin Laden. But I cannot say that all the Americans agree with the war and with the performance of the United States in the international community. You need to improve its form to think . The preconception is the food of the war.

I do not see difference between Bush and Bin Laden.

If you can't tell the difference between a murdering outlaw -- wanted by several govt's and the int'l community -- setting up his own violent agenda, and one who is a duly elected leader of a sovereign nation (whether or not you agree with him or not is beside the point), then you are... stupid and blind.

I can only hope it's people like you who are leading the Rio bid. ;)

If you can't tell the difference between a murdering outlaw -- wanted by several govt's and the int'l community -- setting up his own violent agenda, and one who is a duly elected leader of a sovereign nation (whether or not you agree with him or not is beside the point), then you are... stupid and blind.

I can only hope it's people like you who are leading the Rio bid. ;)

HAHAHAHA You it makes me to laugh at its ignorance. It remembers the American elections of 2000 and the wrong way that Bush was elect. I agree to what Michael Moore said: " Fictitious times, fictitious electoral results ". The American military expenses surpass the Brazilian economy. Everything for oil. They spill blood for oil. Blood of innocent people, poor people, and that besides being deceased still it is called terrorist Barbarian and for people as you You is a mentally ill one.

HAHAHAHA You it makes me to laugh at its ignorance. It remembers the American elections of 2000 and the wrong way that Bush was elect. I agree to what Michael Moore said: " Fictitious times, fictitious electoral results ". The American military expenses surpass the Brazilian economy. Everything for oil. They spill blood for oil. Blood of innocent people, poor people, and that besides being deceased still it is called terrorist Barbarian and for people as you You is a mentally ill one.

Congratulations RIOMAN... I think u said it all.. he is just one more ignorant person in the world.... that's sad....

The way I view the CITIES AND THEIR STANDING

Let's start with Europe... I feel it is unlikely that the crown of the 2016 games will be given to a European city. There have not been two European cities hosting the summer games back to back in over 50 years, and since London won the 2012 summer games and Sochi, Russia the 2014 winter games, you can almost bet that the IOC will not give it to MADRID - who is much more capable of hosting over PRAGUE. Also, Europe has played host to two games already since 2004 - Athens and Turin. It is not completely out of the question, but it would surprise me.

-------------------------------

Now on to Asia. TOKYO is very capable of hosting the games, but they are in the same boat as the European cities bidding. Beijing is next summer, which will seemingly be in too many people's memories to grant Asia the summer games so close again. Asia will most likely win the right to host the 2018 winter games, but they may have to wait until 2024 or 2028 before it's ripe for a summer games again. If TOKYO puts an extremely compelling bid together, and the U.S. drops the ball for some reason, the games could tilt to Asia, but it would surprise me almost as much as another European games.

--------------------------------

On to DOHA and BAKU. One has to commend these two cities to at least throw themselves out there in the hopes to maybe build a stronger bid down the road, the main issues hindering them aside from lack of notoriety and facilities is their proximately to escalating issues in the Middle East. Both Azerbaijan and Qatar have never bid before, and not since the earlier years of the modern games has a country won on their first bid.

--------------------------------

Now, the Americas. This is where the dead heat will be for the games. Will it be CHICAGO or RIO? Pretty much if you ask the world who the games should go to, they will say RIO over CHICAGO any day, but let's dissect the two bids...

Brazil - South America has never hosted the Olympics, and there probably wouldn't be a more appropriate country to be the first to host the games (considering Brazil's size and influence in the region). Everyone can agree that RIO has beautiful landscapes and people, but there are issues when it comes to security and financing. Another thing that may hold RIO back is the fact that Brazil will most likely host the 2014 World Cup. Preparing for the Cup will be a budget strain in its own right, and hosting the Olympics just two years later will not help. Polls have shown Brazilians would rather host the Cup over the Olympics, which doesn't sit well with the IOC. They like to have a country's complete focus when preparing for the games, and the Olympics coming after a World Cup will probably seem second place when it comes to priorities. Don't get me wrong, other countries have hosted an Olympics and Cup close together before, but those countries had the financial backing to do so, and in the case with Atlanta and the 1994 World Cup - Atlanta didn't host any Cup games.

RIO hosted a fairly successful Pan Am Games this summer, which should land them on the short list (did not make the short list in their 2012 bid), but will it be enough for them to win?

Positives:

- South America never Hosted Games Before

- Hosted 2007 Pan American Games

- Global City Notoriety

- Beautiful Landscape and Culture

- Civic Enthusiasm and Pride

Negatives:

- Lack of Financial Guarantees

- Political Instability at Times

- Poverty and Crime

- Needs Infrastructure and Large Scale Facility Improvements

- Brazil set to Host 2014 World Cup

---------

United States - Three major North American countries - Canada, Mexico and the U.S. have played host to the summer games before, but the U.S. has hosted more summer and winter Olympics than any other country in the world (Eight times in total). Now if CHICAGO gets it in 2016, that would be the county's third time hosting the summer games in just 32 years ('84, '96, and '16). That of course is something the IOC will be considering against them. In terms of financing, CHICAGO has it in the goal. LA '84 completely saved the games from the Montreal '76 fallout, and the IOC still remembers that. CHICAGO won the 1904 games, but it was moved to St. Louis to coincide with the World's Fair. That was not an IOC decision, it was good ole Teddy Roosevelt, so the IOC should not feel obligated to grant it to CHICAGO based on that. One thing against CHICAGO is that it is not recognized as a major global city like New York or Los Angeles to many people around the world. It surely is known, but there are many people in the IOC who don't have much of a clue about CHICAGO. But who ever heard of Atlanta before?

Another negative against a U.S. bid is the unpopular war in Iraq. When the U.S. last won a bid we had a better perception around the world, because of our contributions to the removal of the iron curtain in Europe. Due to disastrous foreign policy, the U.S. is seen more negatively than ever, but there will be a new president in office nine months before the final vote in Copenhagen (maybe a woman or African American?). To pile onto that is the realm of difficulty it is for foreigner visitors to enter into the U.S., which is not seen as too inviting around the world. So can CHICAGO overcome the pressures of world criticism, and views of another "American" Olympics? We'll have to wait and see.

Positives:

- Financial and Political Stability

- Many venues in place or planned, and Compactness of Games

- City Never Hosted Olympics Before

- Civic Public Support and Enthusiasm

- Great Architecture and Lake front

Negatives:

- Global Climate of Negativity Toward the U.S.

- U.S. has hosted many past Games

- Chicago not as Globally Recognized as Other Cities

- Will need to build Olympic Stadium

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Who Will Win in My Opinion? - updated 9/20/07

Here are my picks on a scale of 1-10 (1 being the lowest, 10 being the highest)

Chicago (8.6)

Rio de Janeiro (8.3)

Tokyo (6.1)

Madrid (5.7)

--- will not make short list ---

Prague (4.8)

Doha (2.6)

Baku (1.8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phfffffffffffffft. Idiot.

Thanks guys. I have come to the site for awhile, but just recently discovered the forum. I originally wrote my previous post in a 'city discussions' thread from skyscraperpage.com's forum. I have been researching and following the 2016 bid since my hometown "Chicago" expressed interest in the Games. I think it will be awesome to have it in my own back yard, but I will try to make my posts in an objective manner, even though deep down inside I would love them in Chicago over any other place.

*cheers* to more posts to come.

- Lack of Financial Guarantees

- Political Instability at Times

- Poverty and Crime

- Needs Infrastructure and Large Scale Facility Improvements

Well, brazilian economy is growing in a fast pace in this government... I don't think that we'll face serious lack of financial guarantees. Poverty is a issue... but just look at the facts: Our economy is growing, we are having a really big income distribution, and poverty is being reduced as we have never done, so by 2016, the scenarium will be even better cause we have stability now. We can discuss about crime, indeed... but Rio has crime as any other big city in the world... besided that, we don't have terrorist attacks... people simple don't have anything against us as they have against other bidding cities...

About infrastructure... and large scale facility improvements... what I can say is that we are investing really high in the facility improvements... just take a look at the news, and u'll find out. Besides that we've built sports infrastructure for the Pan Am games... the venues just have to be improved, most of them are already done.

But "POLITICAL INSTABILITY AT TIMES"? Since the 80's we don't have political instability..... we've just elected one president that came from the poor and got there because he deserves it, he was prepared to do so, and he managed to be voted for most of brazilians........ we vote eletronically... we even sell the technology and the method for some countries... since the last president, Fernando Henrique, we know who was elected in THE SAME DAY WE VOTE. So, concluding, we can discuss the other metters, but not that we have "political instability at times".....

Archived