Bid For 2016...two Years To Go!

Your choice as of now!  

105 members have voted

1. 1. The REAL contenders

• Chicago, USA
    • Madrid, Spain
    • Tokyo, Japan
    • Rio, Brazil

<_< It's plain to see that Chicago, Tokyo, Rio and Madrid are the only REAL contenders for this round.

Unlike the hype of the 2012 bidding war that went to the wire, this time seems to lack the same lustre and glamour of a New York, London, Paris, Madrid mega city battle.

With the IOC not wanting a repeat host so soon, I can't see Tokyo surviving this, leaving Rio as the strongest contender as Brazil would be a first time hosting nation, while Spain and Madrid will provide strong contention. The USA is a political outcast to many in Europe and Asia, as well as South America but can the IOC ignore it's bread and butter provider after 20 years?

Once the hype of 2008 dies down we will get a better picture of direction.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<_< It's plain to see that Chicago, Tokyo, Rio and Madrid are the only REAL contenders for this round.

With the IOC not wanting a repeat host so soon, I can't see Tokyo surviving this, leaving Rio as the strongest contender as Brazil would be a first time hosting nation, while Spain and Madrid will provide strong contention. The USA is a political outcast to many in Europe and Asia, as well as South America but can the IOC ignore it's bread and butter provider after 20 years?

Once the hype of 2008 dies down we will get a better picture of direction.

1. The change in the US political scene together with the scaling down of the US presence (which will of course lead to a civil war in Iraq --but who cares?) in Irak will change things. Besides, that shouldn't really matter because the IOC members are supposed to be apolitical. THey are beholden to the IOC and not to their gov'ts. And the IOC is supposed to be above politics -- so to be fair, a US bid should be just as untarnished as Tokyo or Madrid!

2. Madrid is an impossible dream. How can Europe get it again after 2004 and then 2012? :rolleyes: You're just as naive to think so.

3. Rio is blocked by Brazil's unproven performance record for 2014 which comes 5 years after the 2009 vote!

4. Tokyo -- well, again, too close to Beijing 2008...while the IOC moneymaker, the USA, beckons, after being rejected in 2005! THe IOC has bigger expenditures and dreams (the Youth Olympics, to name one). Where do you think it will turn to for more funds?

1. The change in the US political scene together with the scaling down of the US presence (which will of course lead to a civil war in Iraq --but who cares?) in Irak will change things.

If you have a brilliant solution to repair the mess created by the US in Iraq, everyone is listening...

If Chicago and Tokyo mess up their respective bids (highly unlikely, but it's a rather nice thought), which city do you think the IOC will pick?

Still Chicago or Tokyo. :lol:

What makes you so sure the IOC doesn't want a repeat host again? The last three new countries to win Olympic hosting rights were China for 2008, Spain for 1992, and South Korea for 1988

If you are going to put up a poll, you should just ask the question as:

"At this early stage in the bid for the 2016 Olympics, who do you think is the favourite to win?"

...and not...

"Who do you think will win the 2016 Olympics and please do not vote for Chicago, Tokyo or Madrid?"

Funny enough, if this was the IOC vote at the time I cast my ballot, and I was the last IOC member to vote, I'd have just just tipped the balance for a Chicago first ballot win (9-3-3-3).

If you have a brilliant solution to repair the mess created by the US in Iraq, everyone is listening...

And I really take UMBRAGE at this stupid question, Jeremie! It's the Arab/Moslem mentality/psyche that is outta whack -- not the US policy. They have MURDER in their hearts and rot in their brains! They will kill wherever there are bodies to kill -- whether the US or anyone else is there. Notice the 200 Yazedies (whatever those poor people are) killed yesterday, idiot!! :angry:

And I really take UMBRAGE at this stupid question, Jeremie! It's the Arab/Moslem mentality/psyche that is outta whack -- not the US policy. They have MURDER in their hearts and rot in their brains! They will kill wherever there are bodies to kill -- whether the US or anyone else is there. Notice the 200 Yazedies (whatever those poor people are) killed yesterday, idiot!! :angry:

Who is the one that brought the subject up in the first place?

Before calling me an idiot and insulting the whole Arab/Muslim community like you just did, please tell me how many people died of terrorist attacks in Iraq before the US got there?

You are the one bringing up subject that you don't want to understand and start insulting everyone that doesn't agree with you.

Well, I am SICK & TIRED of everyone blaming the US.

No, as I have said, the Arab/Muslim mentality is deeply flawed. Place 3 Arabs of differing sects in a room and they will be at each other's throats. This has been the story for centuries -- only now they have high tech weapons and the internet to cause more carnage. Need I say more?

I REJECT your and othe stupid charges that the US is to blame. I guess we could turn this whole thread into this subject until GB Mod shuts it down -- but I am sick and tired of it -- and I will fight -- and I only brought it up because some other idiots keep bringing up their displeasure w/ US policy when the IOC arena is supposed to be free of politics.

Baron is the typical American. They do not understand nothing of the other countries. They treat the other cultures as inferior. What it said was full of preconception and ignorance. I know that the Americans are not all who think as it, but know that the majority thinks thus. The Americans would have to study more geography and history. In these areas it has note 0. They need to learn that the United States are not the center of the universe.

No, as I have said, the Arab/Muslim mentality is deeply flawed. Place 3 Arabs of differing sects in a room and they will be at each other's throats. This has been the story for centuries -- only now they have high tech weapons and the internet to cause more carnage. Need I say more?

I REJECT your and othe stupid charges that the US is to blame. I guess we could turn this whole thread into this subject until GB Mod shuts it down -- but I am sick and tired of it -- and I will fight -- and I only brought it up because some other idiots keep bringing up their displeasure w/ US policy when the IOC arena is supposed to be free of politics.

One of my best friends is a Lebanese Christian so please, don't generalize a race.

And the IOC never has and never will be free politics.

Fine, the US has not responsability whatsoever in the current situation in Iraq.

I accept that you won't answer my stupid questions and won't respect anyone else opinion as we are all idiots for we don't agree with your enlightened opinion.

"And the IOC never has and never will be politics free."

Yeah, but the great irony of such a statement is that the IOC, in it's dipolmatic rhetoric, emphasizes that the Olympics are suppossed to be "politics free". That the Olympic movement is supposed to be "all about sport" & not politics. But yet China played the "no politics" card when they were bidding for 2008 (i.e. don't use Human Rights against our bid) & so did Russia for 2014. So there's obviously a great deal of hypocrisy in that aspect, on the IOC's part.

Baron is the typical American. They do not understand nothing of the other countries. They treat the other cultures as inferior. What it said was full of preconception and ignorance. I know that the Americans are not all who think as it, but know that the majority thinks thus. The Americans would have to study more geography and history. In these areas it has note 0. They need to learn that the United States are not the center of the universe.

Actually -- you're wrong. I am ORIGINALLY from the Philippines -- grew up AND spent my first 24 years there -- so I do have he PERSPECTIVE from a non-US person's POV as well as being a citizen of the US now. I speak 3 different languages. I have traveleld everywhere except Africa and So. America. So, Rioman, you do NOT KNOW what you speak of.

And even in the Philippines -- a predominantly Christian country, the idoitic Muslim minority is/was nothing but trouble for their majority Christian brothers who just wanted to be left alone in peace. I don't know why you people buy into the story that muslims are the same, like the rest of us, No. They are not. They are members of an intolerant, irrational CULT who self-delusionally think only they have the right to exist in this world. Whatever aberrations occur from that, we all suffer thru.

1. One of my best friends is a Lebanese Christian so please, don't generalize a race.

2. And the IOC never has and never will be free politics.

1. Uhmm...I said 'Arab/Muslims.' Did I say Christian? :rolleyes:

2. Don't u think I know that? Then, as FYI explains, the IOC should just get off its high horse -- and not say anything about being an "apolitical" organization (any more than the UN, where for everyone's benefit, I have also worked) since, under the surface, we all know it isn't.

P.S. Rioman, I have competed in JEOPARDY! I don't know if that means anything to you.

1. Uhmm...I said 'Arab/Muslims.' Did I say Christian? :rolleyes:

2. Don't u think I know that? Then, as FYI explains, the IOC should just get off its high horse -- and not say anything about being an "apolitical" organization (any more than the UN, where for everyone's benefit, I have also worked) since, under the surface, we all know it isn't.

P.S. Rioman, I have competed in JEOPARDY! I don't know if that means anything to you.

I said "race". You acted as if all Arabs are fundamentalist Muslims.

OT: And have you really competed in Jeopardy? It's my favorite game show, lol.

What is Jeopardy?

Seriously Stu, never heard of Jeopardy?

It's a game where the contestants are given an answer and must guess the question.

BTW, is Jeopardy still on in the US? It has never been as popular in France as it was in the US and it's been long gone.

It's a game where the contestants are given an answer and must guess the question.

BTW, is Jeopardy still on in the US? It has never been as popular in France as it was in the US and it's been long gone.

JEOPARDY is the #1 quiz show in the US. Still going strong on 20 yrs plus w/ Alex Trebek. An earlier edition started around 1973 w/ another host. That one lasted, I think, like 8 years or so. And then around the late 80s, the Alex Trebek version came about.

They give great prize money and they have various categories: the regular-open Adult, the Teen version, the High School edition, the College edition, and the Celebrity edition (where those show biz folks are the dumbest in Kingdom-come); but their chosen charities get good money.

So are the foreign editions gone? (I imagine, Jeremie, u mean the US version is no longer shown in France -- but is the French edition still running?)

lol - I have heard of it before but never seen it, I don't know whether it's ever been on here.

So are the foreign editions gone? (I imagine, Jeremie, u mean the US version is no longer shown in France -- but is the French edition still running?)

I actually meant the French version. If I remember correctly, the French edition of the show was on for a few years in the late 80s and early 90s. As I said, it has never been nearly as popular in France as it is in the US (don't really know why).

I suspect that you can still catch the US version on cable.

hahhah...

what can ı say... the people that usa ignores and denigtares once the center of humanity and culture... ı can forgive everything but justwithout a reason to attack countries for their joy and bringing democracy tales in this modern time..ı cannot forgive this..

I am not a arab. but we have lost 50000 citizens for the terrosists attacks of pkk in Turkiye. and when we just attack out of our borders to destroy only the camps they say aaa turks will kill the citizens and will bring a war in the region..dont want to talk politics in here. but the truth is without a usa with this stubbines and and misuing the world , the earth will be more peacefull...

as a conclusion... who has the money.. rulez the world hehehe

and to be honest ı dont want to see anymore olympics in usa

hahhah...

what can ı say... the people that usa ignores and denigtares once the center of humanity and culture... ı can forgive everything but justwithout a reason to attack countries for their joy and bringing democracy tales in this modern time..ı cannot forgive this..

I am not a arab. but we have lost 50000 citizens for the terrosists attacks of pkk in Turkiye. and when we just attack out of our borders to destroy only the camps they say aaa turks will kill the citizens and will bring a war in the region..dont want to talk politics in here. but the truth is without a usa with this stubbines and and misuing the world , the earth will be more peacefull...

as a conclusion... who has the money.. rulez the world hehehe

and to be honest ı dont want to see anymore olympics in usa

Actually, you just picked up and propagated a totally false and erroneous post about me. So much for your credibility, emre. And what about the millions of Armenians and Kurds your ANkara has decimated and still has refused to own up to, huh? :rolleyes:

Archived