Official Start Of The 2010 Bid

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guatemala is living in cloud cuckoo land if it thinks it can host these games as transport system (and security situation) is p¡ss poor. The Session was an excellent success, and yes the security there was very good. However this was all held on the same street between a few hotels, with a few dignitaries to keep secure. As far as the safety of 3,000 athletes (not to mention children) as well as all the dignitaries, families, spectators, media, very a huge number of venues.

Also, I can't imagine the security issues etc changing any time soon as the President that Guatemala is about to elect (Colom) is corrupt and is under his wife's thumb.

I loved the 119th IOC Session, I have made a ton of friends their and would love such an opportunity to go back... but this isn't going happen - it's a totally different event.

I'm not talking immediately, of course. But long (long, long) term this does mean that Torino is positioning itself as a viable summer games host.

Over Rome and Milan's dead-bodies though. Why is why maybe the Italian NOC is letting Turin (the WOGS are over, so it's back to Turin) have it's little fling.

NOC wrote:

GO THAILAND

They would put on a brilliant Games.

Yeah, a YOUTH GAMES in one of the 2-child prostitution capitals of the world (Manila being the other one). Remember John Carr? <_<

Edited by baron-pierreIV
The International Olympic Committee has issued a press release, today, revealing the cities that have submitted a bid to host the first Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2010. A total of eleven (11) cities are now official candidates:
  • ALGIERS, Algeria
  • ATHENS, Greece
  • BANGKOK, Thailand
  • BELGRADE, Serbia
  • DEBRECEN, Hungary
  • GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala
  • KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
  • MOSCOW, Russia
  • POZNAN, Poland
  • SINGAPORE, Singapore
  • TURIN, Italy

Link: IOC press release

So here we have, apart from the five cities we heard and read about, six more cities will also battle for the first SYOG. One African, six European, three Asian (all South East) and one American (from the city where these Games were approved). As expected, these Games seem to be much more attractive and best orientated to medium-sized world and regional cities, as it's proved by the international profile of the majority of these bidding cities.

Hmm..

Is it just me or is it the idea of "cities getting recycled" here is in trend right now? Let's review:

- Algiers just hosted the 2007 All-Africa Games;

- Do not need to mention anymore about Athens here;

- Bangkok just hosted the 2007 Summer Universiade;

- Belgrade just hosted the 2007 European Youth Olympic Festival and will host the 2009 Summer Universiade;

- We all know about the last IOC Session this year there;

- Kuala Lumpur hosted the 1998 Commonwealth Games, but I think it has a shot;

- Do not need to mention anymore about Moscow here;

- Poznan has been unlucky in trying to get a Summer Universiade so far, as far as I know that it has tried a couple of times;

- Singapore hosted the 2005 IOC Session, but I think it will an interesting bid here as well;

- Turin has hosted both Summer AND Winter Universiades, two World's Fairs and the 2006 Winter Olympics. All of them hosted within approximately a 50 years time span.

The only one city I have absolutely no clue what its capabilities are is the Hungarian one. If the IOC ideal for the Youth Olympic Games is to get "other international cities" to make a jump and bid for something like this, then it is not working. It looks like that most of the cities that have already got things in place that most of us already know are essentially the ones wanting these Games. Well, that Guatemalan one may be problematic, but it is mainly of ignorance that I really do not know what its capabilities are. Remind me here: will there be some sort of shortlist before the decision is made or is it pretty much "all out" for the votes now?

The International Olympic Committee has issued a press release, today, revealing the cities that have submitted a bid to host the first Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2010. A total of eleven (11) cities are now official candidates:
  • ALGIERS, Algeria
  • ATHENS, Greece
  • BANGKOK, Thailand
  • BELGRADE, Serbia
  • DEBRECEN, Hungary
  • GUATEMALA CITY, Guatemala
  • KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia
  • MOSCOW, Russia
  • POZNAN, Poland
  • SINGAPORE, Singapore
  • TURIN, Italy

Link: IOC press release

So here we have, apart from the five cities we heard and read about, six more cities will also battle for the first SYOG. One African, six European, three Asian (all South East) and one American (from the city where these Games were approved). As expected, these Games seem to be much more attractive and best orientated to medium-sized world and regional cities, as it's proved by the international profile of the majority of these bidding cities.

Intertesting . I think these 3 cities will easyily get short-listed

[*]ATHENS, Greece

[*]MOSCOW, Russia

[*]TURIN, Italy

With these 3 fighting for the 2 remaining spots

[*]SINGAPORE, Singapore

[*]KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia

[*]BELGRADE, Serbia

I don't see the following cities being short-listed ,

[*]ALGIERS, Algeria - Lack of reconitition and World-class facilities

[*]BANGKOK, Thailand - With the recent political situation , I don't think so.

[*]DEBRECEN, Hungary - Where in the world it is ? I have hardly heard of it. Should have gone with Budapest

[*]GUATEMALA CITY 1 word , POVERTY

[*]POZNAN, Poland - Rather small for a worldwide event. Try Warsaw !

Does Algiers , Poznan & Debrecen even have enough hotel rooms ?

Considering the short span of time until 2010 and that no infrastructure may be built on purpose for the Games, it was expected to see cities that have recently hosted multi-sport events (all except Debrecen and Poznan) to take a step forward. I think the city profile will rise and the 2014 bidding campaign will be more interesting.

Debrecen is Hungary's second city, actually, but the world pretty much just knows about Budapest.

The IOC EB will release a shortlist on November 12. Don't know how many cities will be in it.

The day after Rememberance Day, huh? Well, this should get interesting.

The lack of reconitition around the world and its facilities . How many of us actually know something about Algeria ? Facilities , although it has some facilites in place , these are ageing . Its main stadium , Stade 5 Juillet 1962 was built in 1976 . Algeria's GDP is the 2nd lowest among all of the 11 countries bidding , only Guatemela is poorer. Are there enough hotel rooms in Algiers to accmodate the large number of people ? Transportation is another issue , Algiers has no metro system. Its system will only start countruction next year , I doubt it'll be really by 2010.

I'm quite surprised by the KL bid. It's news to me... not heard of anything leading to this "reluctant" submission by the OCM. Since the OCM submitted the bid under the direction of the Malaysian government, then that says a lot about government support.

Kuala Lumpur can bid for the 2010 games with no additional arenas to be built, in my opinion. Not sure how the athlete's village would be like though. Several university campuses around the Bukit Jalil national stadium may be used, I think. And of course the Bukit Jalil Sports School hostels.

Anyways, GO KL!

I am convinced that KL has the infrastructure (or would be able to have the infrastructure) to host the YOG. However, given the fact that the MOC has publicly stated that it wishes money to be spend on other projects, I don't think KL stand smuch of a chance (at least for 2010). The IOC has stressed again and again in the past that a successful bid/games relies on a string parternership between a city, a state and the NOC.

As for Algier, I don't know much about the city I admit. I do think that the fact that they have just hosted, rather succesfully it seems, the All Africa Games should mean that they have a basic infrastructure in place. Would that be enough to be ready for 2010? Probably not but it woulkd be interesting to see their questionnaire (if it ever comes on line...).

That's probably wishful thinking from me but I would really love to see the YOG goes to smaller cities/countries than traditionnal Olympic hosts (2010 could be an exception given the tight schedule to the Games). I trully believe that the last thing the IOC needs is another mega event.

That's probably wishful thinking from me but I would really love to see the YOG goes to smaller cities/countries than traditionnal Olympic hosts (2010 could be an exception given the tight schedule to the Games). I trully believe that the last thing the IOC needs is another mega event.

You are not the only one that is thinking this, too, cfm Jeremie. I am getting the ugly feeling that these two YOG events are just going to go the same way as its "senior counterparts." If the applicant list for 2010 is any indication, then it has already started going down that road. And, if the shortlisted CANDIDATE list results in what a couple of us here are predicted to be, then this idea of getting other cities in the world to put out a bid for them will backfire. Unless there is a specific rule from the IOC about which cities "are allowed" to bid for the YOG, then I think there will be no way that the "smaller cities of the world" even has a chance to get the YOG as well, just like the two regular Olympic Games.