Official Start Of The 2010 Bid

IOC Opens Bidding Process For 2010 Youth Games

GamesBids.com

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) opened the bidding process Friday for the inaugural Youth Olympic Games in 2010 and Singapore announced it is putting in a bid.

The IOC sent letters to the world’s 205 national Olympic bodies detailing the procedures for hosting the event featuring athletes ages 14-18.

The deadline for the national committees to confirm the names of the cities interested in bidding is August 31 with candidate files to be submitted by October 26.

A panel of IOC experts will select the list of finalists on November 12; an evaluation committee will visit the cities in December before the IOC elects the host city by postal ballot in mid February 2008. The host city announcement is to be made the end of February.

[...]

The Summer and Winter Youth Games will alternate every four years, with the Summer events being staged in the years of the Olympic Winter Games and vice versa.

Candidature Acceptance Procedure and Questionnaire [pdf]

The candidates so far:

Moscow, Russia

Singapore

Hamburg, Germany

Guadalajara, Mexico

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Since this thread is for the 2010 bid, I'll continue here)

While the bidding regulations forbid the creation of original bid-specific logos, on the other hand they allow a candidate city to draft a sports programme flexible enough not to include some of the 26 sports, if the city does not have facilities for them.

This is an understandable and consequence of a candidate city not being allowed to build new and permanent YOG-oriented venues, and assures that ANY city can apply even if it hasn't got one or other venues in advance.

^^

Why shouldn't we have one? I think it would be very positive for Madrid 2016. The IOC will thank the nations which take part in the 1st Youth Olympic Games' Election.

I just named the 5th spanish biggest cities (except Madrid because it can't bid), i hope it doesn't bother you... ;)

^^

Why shouldn't we have one? I think it would be very positive for Madrid 2016. The IOC will thank the nations which take part in the 1st Youth Olympic Games' Election.

I just named the 5th spanish biggest cities (except Madrid because it can't bid), i hope it doesn't bother you... ;)

is not positive for Madrid 2016 and is a waste of time and money,like Jaca 98,Jaca 2002,Sevilla 2004,Sevilla 2008,Jaca 2010,Granada 2010,Sevilla 2012 or Jaca 2014.is time for serious bids.

and yes,it bother me,a lot

why not Tauste 2018?

You forget Madrid 2012 and the previous attemps of Barcelona until 1992...

You are very intelligent, the only one which wasn't a waste of money was Barcelona 92!!! :D:D:blink:

What an argument!!! ---> "is not positive for Madrid 2016" :huh: you have been about to convince me! with your next reply i will be ONLY fan of Madrid 16!! (and i am already fan of Madrid 16 but i am not so narrow-minded...)

Maybe i shouldn't say this: do you really think that Madrid 2016 is not a waste of TIME and MONEY!?!? :blink:

Talking as you do, you should be against Madrid 16!! Everybody knows that Madrid is not going to win for 2016, but we the spaniards will never admit it!! It is sad but yes it is only a bid to keep "Madrid" in the mouth of the IOC Members... as you say it would be better to save this money and invest it in Madrid 2020?!?! <_<

About Tauste... :huh: ...

Edited by JACA 2014

You forget Madrid 2012 and the previous attemps of Barcelona until 1992...

You are very intelligent, the only one which wasn't a waste of money was Barcelona 92!!! :D:D:blink:

What an argument!!! ---> "is not positive for Madrid 2016" :huh: you have been about to convince me! with your next reply i will be ONLY fan of Madrid 16!! (and i am already fan of Madrid 16 but i am not so narrow-minded...)

Maybe i shouldn't say this: do you really think that Madrid 2016 is not a waste of TIME and MONEY!?!? :blink:

Talking as you do, you should be against Madrid 16!! Everybody knows that Madrid is not going to win for 2016, but we the spaniards will never admit it!! It is sad but yes it is only a bid to keep "Madrid" in the mouth of the IOC Members... as you say it would be better to save this money and invest it in Madrid 2020?!?! <_<

About Tauste... :huh: ...

the only serious spanish bids were:Barcelona 92 and Madrid 2012.

you are not fan of Madrid 2016,you have an obsession with the Pyrenees,but you are alone in this dream...

Well i imagined that you was going to say nothing about the WASTE of money and time that Madrid 16 is... Madrid 2016 is not a serious bid then...

I was supporter of Madrid 2012, and as Spanish i support Madrid 16 too as our summer choice because it is our best option (but no in 2016...), and of course The Pyrenees is my winter Spanish choice, nothing wrong...

Madrid 2012 was a serious bid of course, but another bid for 2016 it is a joke, ask anybody who knows something about the Games... The only objective of this bid, as i said before, is to keep Madrid in the mind of the IOC members that's all, and although you don't want to recognize it, it is a waste of time and money.

Well i imagined that you was going to say nothing about the WASTE of money and time that Madrid 16 is... Madrid 2016 is not a serious bid then...

I was supporter of Madrid 2012, and as Spanish i support Madrid 16 too as our summer choice because it is our best option (but no in 2016...), and of course The Pyrenees is my winter Spanish choice, nothing wrong...

Madrid 2012 was a serious bid of course, but another bid for 2016 it is a joke, ask anybody who knows something about the Games... The only objective of this bid, as i said before, is to keep Madrid in the mind of the IOC members that's all, and although you don't want to recognize it, it is a waste of time and money.

"as spanish i support Madrid 16" ... "another bid for 2016 it is a joke"..."it is a waste of time and money"

very coherent and patriotic :P

see you in the Pyrenees 2082

DSC01697.jpg

"as spanish i support Madrid 16" ... "another bid for 2016 it is a joke"..."it is a waste of time and money"

very coherent and patriotic :P

Patriotic of course, in a race for the Games (or any other event: WC, American's Cup...) if a Spanish city takes part i will support it, i will always prefer Madrid wining than Tokyo, Paris, New York or Cape Town.

Coherent too, i know what i support but i also know that for 2016 we have no chance, that is all...

What i can't understand is how you dare to talk about coherence... all those bid that you quoted before were a waste of time and money but Madrid 2016 is not a waste of time and money?!?!? Venga ya!!

Don't see you in Madrid 2016! :P (a COHERENT bid would be 2020 and 2024)

Patriotic of course, in a race for the Games (or any other event: WC, American's Cup...) if a Spanish city takes part i will support it, i will always prefer Madrid wining than Tokyo, Paris, New York or Cape Town.

Coherent too, i know what i support but i also know that for 2016 we have no chance, that is all...

What i can't understand is how you dare to talk about coherence... all those bid that you quoted before were a waste of time and money but Madrid 2016 is not a waste of time and money?!?!? Venga ya!!

Don't see you in Madrid 2016! :P (a COHERENT bid would be 2020 and 2024)

lo que es una verguenza es derrochar millones en las cutre candidaturas de Jaca o Jacaragoza que no tenian ninguna posibilidad y solo han servido para mantener a unos cuantos durante años,por cierto alguno de los cuales ya se ha recolocado en la candidatura de Madrid 2016 a pesar de cagadas inaceptables como la de ubicar las ceremonias a 140 km de la ciudad que daba nombre a la candidatura.

lo que es de chiste es tu insistencia casi obsesiva con las candidaturas pirenaicas cuando España es un pais tercermundista en deportes de invierno,cada vez hay menos nieve en el Pirineo y el COI ha dicho por activa y por pasiva que no ve factibles unos juegos en Jaca,ni con Zaragoza ni sin ella,de hecho ve más factibles los juegos en Almaty.

lo que es alucinante es que digas apoyar Madrid 2016 (que lo tiene muy dificil) en este foro en el que no destacan precisamente las simpatias hacia España y luego estes cada semana rescatando del olvido el coñazo de los Pirineos (que solo te interesa a ti) o diciendo chorradas como que el piraguismo en aguas bravas se podia ubicar en Zaragoza (¿no dices que Madrid 2016 no tiene ninguna posibilidad?)

di lo que quieras pero no nos castigues más los ojos con propuestas absurdas ni te digas defensor de Madrid 2016,con defensores como tú no hacen falta enemigos...

Te recuerdo que una de esas personas formo parte de la tan alabada por tu parte Madrid 2012 asi que ahora no vengas de listo...

Lo que pasa es que tu no quieres aceptar que por una vez la gente de este foro (no muy simpatizantes de España es cierto) llevan la razon, y no por ser español voy a tener que apoyar a Madrid 16 de la forma que lo tu lo haces, sin argumentos, sin explicaciones, o como mucho con una foto infantil de un viaje chorras a japon!! Venga ya!!!

Te doy la razon en que España es tercermundista en deportes de invierno, pero si Jaca nunca se hubiera presentado no hubiera sido conocida por el COI y nunca le hubieran concedido el FOJE de este año (por que se lo concedieron, no se presento), y gracias a esto ahora Jaca tiene una pista de hielo de primer nivel en Europa y si saben sacarle partido acojera eventos de primer nivel ayudando a si a crear una cultura de deportes de hielo que en este momento es inexistente.

A mi me gustan mas los deportes de invierno que los de verano, si te molesta que hable mas de ellos, no entres en esos temas o al menos no dejes comentarios infantiles... Si he dicho lo del piraguismo en Zgz es por no derrochar todavia mas dinero en un candidatura que al menos para 2016 no tiene ninguna posibilidad! (como las de Jaca, no seas hipocrita, derroche en Jaca pero no en Madrid 16???)

Edited by JACA 2014

Te recuerdo que una de esas personas formo parte de la tan alabada por tu parte Madrid 2012 asi que ahora no vengas de listo...

Lo que pasa es que tu no quieres aceptar que por una vez la gente de este foro (no muy simpatizantes de España es cierto) llevan la razon, y no por ser español voy a tener que apoyar a Madrid 16 de la forma que lo tu lo haces, sin argumentos, sin explicaciones, o como mucho con una foto infantil de un viaje chorras a japon!! Venga ya!!!

Te doy la razon en que España es tercermundista en deportes de invierno, pero si Jaca nunca se hubiera presentado no hubiera sido conocida por el COI y nunca le hubieran concedido el FOJE de este año (por que se lo concedieron, no se presento), y gracias a esto ahora Jaca tiene una pista de hielo de primer nivel en Europa y si saben sacarle partido acojera eventos de primer nivel ayudando a si a crear una cultura de deportes de hielo que en este momento es inexistente.

A mi me gustan mas los deportes de invierno que los de verano, si te molesta que hable mas de ellos, no entres en esos temas o al menos no dejes comentarios infantiles... Si he dicho lo del piraguismo en Zgz es por no derrochar todavia mas dinero en un candidatura que al menos para 2016 no tiene ninguna posibilidad! (como las de Jaca, no seas hipocrita, derroche en Jaca pero no en Madrid 16???)

si,esa persona es Fernandez Arimany,el eterno superviviente de las candidaturas españolas,lo suyo tiene "merito"

yo defiendo la candidatura de Madrid con argumentos,aunque de cara a 2016 lo tiene muy dificil

lamento que mi viaje a Japón te parezca "chorras" (¿envidia?),que le vamos a hacer...

el FOJE es una mierda que no interesa a nadie

lo de el canal de piraguismo de Zaragoza lo has posteado dos veces para enredar,no lo presentes como una aportación positiva y desinteresada

Madrid conseguira los JJOO tarde o temprano,Jaca o Zaragoza o Tauste nunca

ciao

Pues que quieres que te diga, en toda la discusion que llevamos todavia no he leido ningun argumento por parte tuya que me demuestre que la candidatura de Madrid no es un derroche de tiempo y dinero, tan solo he leido cometarios chorras, si chorras, envidia? pues hombre no te niego que me gustaria ir a Japon ya tendre tiempo, pero me parece triste que eso te llamara tanto la atencion y sea tu unico argumento... un poco flojo...

El FOJE para tí es un mierda, yo estuve alli y lo vivi tu seguramente no. Aun asi el FOJE a dejado cosas muy positivas en Aragon y la nueva pista ayudara a crear una cultura del hielo, que ya es algo...

Lo del canal a disposicion de Madrid es la primera vez que lo digo aqui, en el topic de la Expo claro que lo habre dicho mas veces y me pareceria una solucion sensata para una candidatura abocada a la segunda o tercera posicion... y que no sera mas que un gasto economico vacio de resultados, tan solo mantener al COI al tanto de que Madrid quiere los Juegos... no lo veo razon suficiente, tu si??

Me alegrare en parte cuando Madrid gane y si puedo me acercare a verlos, pero no defiendas lo que tu mismo atacas, 2016 no es el año.

PD.- aun no se a que viene lo de Tauste... Zgz aun no a optado a ellos, tiempo tendra.

Edited by JACA 2014

Pues que quieres que te diga, en toda la discusion que llevamos todavia no he leido ningun argumento por parte tuya que me demuestre que la candidatura de Madrid no es un derroche de tiempo y dinero, tan solo he leido cometarios chorras, si chorras, envidia? pues hombre no te niego que me gustaria ir a Japon ya tendre tiempo, pero me parece triste que eso te llamara tanto la atencion y sea tu unico argumento... un poco flojo...

El FOJE para tí es un mierda, yo estuve alli y lo vivi tu seguramente no. Aun asi el FOJE a dejado cosas muy positivas en Aragon y la nueva pista ayudara a crear una cultura del hielo, que ya es algo...

Lo del canal a disposicion de Madrid es la primera vez que lo digo aqui, en el topic de la Expo claro que lo habre dicho mas veces y me pareceria una solucion sensata para una candidatura abocada a la segunda o tercera posicion... y que no sera mas que un gasto economico vacio de resultados, tan solo mantener al COI al tanto de que Madrid quiere los Juegos... no lo veo razon suficiente, tu si??

Me alegrare en parte cuando Madrid gane y si puedo me acercare a verlos, pero no defiendas lo que tu mismo atacas, 2016 no es el año.

PD.- aun no se a que viene lo de Tauste... Zgz aun no a optado a ellos, tiempo tendra.

¿argumentos a favor de Madrid? todos ¿en contra? la rotación de continentes y Sochi

lo de la montaña rusa "pirineos" no es lo único que me llamó la atención de Japón,era una broma,pero parece que el sentido del humor no es una de tus virtudes pese a tu juventud

el FOJE es una competición de quinto nivel que no interesa a nadie,ya lei tus entusiastas crónicas en Skyscrapercity Aragón,pero no conseguiste transmitir tu entusiasmo

lo del canal es una chorrada (ya que tanto te gusta la palabra chorras).no te preocupes tanto por el presupuesto de la candidatura madrileña,en el caso improbable de que finalmente ganen,ya se construirá el canal en el Parque de la Gavia como estaba previsto.

si Madrid gana en 2016 o en 2020 te llevaras un gran disgusto porque lo interpretarás como un nuevo "retraso" para los JJOO pirenaicos o paranoicos

PD: ¡Viva Tauste!

Well, I for sure understand your conversation, but others can't say the same. Don't you think it's a bit rude to be talking Spanish extensively in an English-language forum, especially about a topic completely distinct from the one in this thread (even though you may have started on-topic)?

Sory about calling your attention but this thread is already more about a Madrid 2016 vs. Pyrenees WOG battle than what it was supposed to be.

Who do you think will be applying for these games - both in the short-term and long-term (if there is one) - countries and cities that couldn't hope to get the Olympics or cities using this as a stepping stone to the big games - and if you get these games. will it hurt your changes to get the Olympics because your just being greedy as you have already had your games - give someone else a chance?

I'm also not sure which athletics will attend - in some sports - gymnastics, swimming, diving, etc the athletics in the Olympics can be awfully young - who gets to go to these games?

I think the IOC should give the 1st games to Athens. For many factor they should be the first ones to host those games. They were the first and the last ones hosting the Olympic Summer Games. Their infraestructure is new and they spent a lot of money oin that, at least they should use them. In two years none city can have ready their venues for such event.

I think I've said it already, but since this GamesBids section still has Lisbon as "interested applicant not confirmed", then here is the official confirmation (translated), from Portugal's NOC president, that we will NOT bid for the first Youth Olympics, given to a sports newspaper:

Our candidature would be an irresponsability

Portugal will not bid to host and organize the first edition of the Youth Olympic Games. The guarantee was given to [newspaper] by Vicente de Moura, president of the Portuguese Olympic Committee (COP). "It is something that cannot be presented without support from the national government and the host city's local government. But the strongest reason not to submit an application is not even this. The fact is that there isn't time to prepare things. The bid would have to be presented until August 31 and there is no chance to do that. Our candidature would be an irresponsability".

However, for future editions, the lack of time will not be a reason anymore. "Maybe for 2014" admits Vicente de Moura, despite believing that, on one hand, these will be "Games much easier to organize than the Summer Olympics", on the other hand, he raises doubts: "These will be Olympics for young people, therefore not highly mediatized as the senior counterpart; also TV broadcasting periods will be shorter leading to a smaller interest from sponsors, therefore less financial income...".