Singapore 2010

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw your link I thought it was an unknow robot rocker...tan tan tantantantan 5x or so! Blaising the trail. I was expecting something also in singaporean language. Am not so much impressed.

Hmm...I am quite curious as to just what "singaporean language" refers to? :unsure:

Hmm...I am quite curious as to just what "singaporean language" refers to? :unsure:

I don't know maybe Maya or something. Don't Singapore have a local language?

Malay is Singapore's national language. We have no direct relationship with the Mayans. :P

I was just guessing, smart-less you!

What I really like about the Singapore 2010 website is the comical look that identifies it with children. I gave them a pass mark for that. I think Singapore is presenting a stronger bid.

I was just guessing, smart-less you!

You are most welcome. ;)

Singapore's multiculturalism has also been highlighted as a potential winning point in this race, and the general proficiency of the English language amongst its populance could be a boon as well. Hopefully this translate into something concrete later on in the realm of "education through sports".

• 3 weeks later...
IOC Member Assesses Olympic Bids

Posted 4:31 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

A senior International Olympic Committee (IOC) member, in an interview with AFP, said that Chicago is the favourite to win the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, Munich could win the right to host the 2018 Winter Games, and Singapore is a favourite for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games.

The IOC member had some thoughts about the 2010 Youth Olympic Games. The member told AFP Singapore should prevail in the race. He said while Bangkok could be eliminated as a viable candidate, Singapore fits the bill as host because it is probably not capable of hosting senior Olympic Games. On that basis it should rule out Athens, Moscow and Turin, all cities that have already hosted Olympic Games.

Interesting take that Singapore is favoured because it probably couldn't do a "senior" games. Sort of a back-hand compliment with a sting.

Interesting take that Singapore is favoured because it probably couldn't do a "senior" games. Sort of a back-hand compliment with a sting.

Well that's precisely the reason why I hope Singapore will get it.

I still think Moscow can win though (the good thing for Singapore is that Sochi won last year, so the IOC members could consider that Russia has been served).

Excally. When Singapore hosted the IOC session in 2005 , I remember the local media saying "that the IOC session is the next best thing since we are too small for the olympics."

Anyway , theres been a lot of advertising about the Singapore bid here . Taxis have Singapore 2010 decals on their windscreens. The local TV channel has this small ad on the top right of the screen promoting the bid. And there are also Television commmercials about it. In fact , today in the local tabliod , they have an article about tshirts for the bid. I'll post em later if I not lazy.

The New Terminal 3 of the Singapore Changi Airport opened today. It was planned about 9 years ago. I must say this new terminal is awsome ! I had a classmate whose dad was part of design team.

SINGAPORE - Singapore opened Wednesday a new state-of-the-art airport terminal, with features including an indoor garden and waterfalls, in a bid to strengthen the city-state's status as a regional air hub.

Changi Airport Terminal 3, built at a cost of 1.75 billion Singapore dollars (US$1.22 billion; �831 million), will expand the airport's annual capacity by 22 million to 70 million passengers a year.

Terminal 3 started operations with its first arrival from San Francisco and first departure to London, both on Singapore Airlines. Arriving passengers were greeted with a traditional lion dance performance and adorned with orchid garlands.

The seven-story terminal has 28 aerobridge gates _ eight of which are designed to handle a new generation of large, double-decker passenger jets like the Airbus A380.

A vertical garden of climbing plants and four waterfalls spans 300 meters (984 feet) inside the main building, which also features a roof with over 900 skylights and reflector panels that automatically allow an optimum amount of natural light while keeping out the tropical heat.

As a regional air transportation hub, Singapore's Changi Airport faces competition from neighbors such as Thailand and Malaysia.

Pictures at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=70216

The New Terminal 3 of the Singapore Changi Airport opened today. It was planned about 9 years ago. I must say this new terminal is awsome ! I had a classmate whose dad was part of design team.

SINGAPORE - Singapore opened Wednesday a new state-of-the-art airport terminal, with features including an indoor garden and waterfalls, in a bid to strengthen the city-state's status as a regional air hub.

Changi Airport Terminal 3, built at a cost of 1.75 billion Singapore dollars (US$1.22 billion; �831 million), will expand the airport's annual capacity by 22 million to 70 million passengers a year.

Terminal 3 started operations with its first arrival from San Francisco and first departure to London, both on Singapore Airlines. Arriving passengers were greeted with a traditional lion dance performance and adorned with orchid garlands.

The seven-story terminal has 28 aerobridge gates _ eight of which are designed to handle a new generation of large, double-decker passenger jets like the Airbus A380.

A vertical garden of climbing plants and four waterfalls spans 300 meters (984 feet) inside the main building, which also features a roof with over 900 skylights and reflector panels that automatically allow an optimum amount of natural light while keeping out the tropical heat.

As a regional air transportation hub, Singapore's Changi Airport faces competition from neighbors such as Thailand and Malaysia.

Pictures at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=70216

Was this terminal built in preparedness for the Singapore 2010?