One Year To Go!

Sir Rols

Well, in this part of the world it's ticked over to August 8, so we're now officially in the one year and counting zone. I'm really looking forward to it. This time next year I should be starting a few weeks of holiday to sit down and gorge myself on a fortnight of Olympic treats!

Some nice "One Year To Go" preview features in the press here today _ including an eight-page liftout in the Daily Telegraph. I can't remember them doing that for Athens!

Edited by Sir Roltel

While those "One Year To Go" celebrations were going on, the chefs de mission of 198 NOCs were in Beijing for their preparatory seminar. Along with that, the five NOCs (four of them future Olympic host nations and Greece) were given symbolic invitations to the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.

Link: IOC: Chefs De Mission In The Starting Blocks For Beijing 2008

ARTP_2279_985_big.jpg

The IOC President symbolically handing out invitations to representatives of 5 NOCs. For Canadians, Michael Chambers, president of the Canadian Olympic Committee stands at the right (our prespective) of IOC President, Jacques Rogge.

ARTP_2279_986_big.jpg

The opening of the Chefs de Mission Seminar

ARTP_2279_987_big.jpg

Together with the Chefs de Mission, Jacques Rogge plants a tree in the future residential zone

ARTP_2279_988_big.jpg

The National Stadium called the Bird's Nest

Edited by Guardian

Just a quick note - they didn't raise the Olympic flag. The flag pole you see there is at the North end of Tiananmen Square and is where the national flag raising and lowering occurs at dawn and dusk. No flag but the Chinese flag will fly there. The Olympic flag was unrolled and walked around the podium. Nothing more.

Thanks for informing me of that, tnmp. I knew it was "too soon" to start proclaiming the Games "open" that way, even though it was just the start of the real countdown to the start of the real thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

3 months to go! And, on top of that, China got a surprise, courtesy of the National Geographic. I have to still find the article to claim what my local news networks had broadcast just now. Out of the 14 countries it surveyed, despite the obvious environmental scenes we see on TV lately, NG placed China AT THE TOP of "good environmentalism" in the world. This is no joke: China are better keepers of the environment than a country, like Canada, "by a long shot."

3 months to go! And, on top of that, China got a surprise, courtesy of the National Geographic. I have to still find the article to claim what my local news networks had broadcast just now. Out of the 14 countries it surveyed, despite the obvious environmental scenes we see on TV lately, NG placed China AT THE TOP of "good environmentalism" in the world. This is no joke: China are better keepers of the environment than a country, like Canada, "by a long shot."

Is this what you're looking for? I'll leave it to you to find the flaws in Nat Geo's methodology and/or what axe it is they're trying to grind.

Thanks, jiejie. When I heard this drivel coming out from my local news networks, they make it sound like a "very big deal."

Again, you got to love the various exaggerations they and it wants to portray here just for ratings. Exaggerations that "cars are evil" to "eating meat is evil." PETA will love that other comment for sure, as they keep saying that humans should not eat meat whatsoever, in order to protect the world's environment "from those like the evil Americans." More so, the thought of "squishing 3 families of 4 into 'a single 3-bedroom apartment'" to save the environment just shook my rocker. I wouldn't be surprised, if some of those extremists would think famines, like the one that struck Ethiopia in 1984, would be good for the planet, too. Can't wait for "1984" to arrive in my lifetime. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...