Is Doha Really Biding For 2016?

And when was that ? No doubt you're from Qatar ... its anyone guess

Well, a woman tennis player from Israel just took part in the Qatar Tennis Open. It's a (small) start but it proves that it is a least technically possible.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Source?

The fact that Libya won't even allow someone with an Israeli stamp on their passport to enter the country for one. In evaluation report stated that Libya lack the hotel, training and medical facilities and FIFA was concerned with the prospect of an Israeli qualification because Libya would not guarantee that the Israeli team would be allowed into Libya.

FIFA was concerned with the prospect of an Israeli qualification because Libya would not guarantee that the Israeli team would be allowed into Libya.

Precisely. This point is not stated in the inspection group report and I haven't found it anywhere. This is why I am asking for a source.

• 2 weeks later...

Doha will be ready for the 2016 Olympics. In terms of it being a small country, what does that have to do with anything?

We are one of the safest countries in the world with a population that encompasses all regions and religions of the world. Our hospitality and love for sports is real, and the chance for us to host the 2016 Olympics will bring pride and joy to the Arab world and be an opportunity for all Arabs to demonstrate who we are.

People

Qataris are one of the nicest people. We are generous, open minded, and mix well with foreigners. Close to 90 percent of the population speaks English, and French is quickly on the increase. English can very well be our official language, so the language barrier is not a problem. Yes like any country we have our close minded ignorant people, but a country would not be complete without them.

Infrastructure

By 2016, we will have over 80,000 hotel rooms available, a new state of the art airport, an underground railway connecting all the major venues and districts, and will have enough entertainment facilities for the visiting tourists. The mix of tradition, modernity, and international flavor is a unique experience that tourist will be able to enjoy. This uniqueness will be even better displayed when we complete our museums, souks, and real estate developments.

Sports Facilities

Our sports facilities are one of the world's best and the futhest venue is only 35 KM away from the athlete's village. We already have 75 percent of the necessary facilities and will complete the rest of the facilities in the coming years. We are also building a state of the art stadium for people with special needs.

Security

Qatar being small will be much easier to secure than other cities. We are aware of the dangers from terrorists and qatar is no more likely a target than any other candidate city. The fact that Shahar Peer, an Israeli player played in a high profile tennis tournament is proof enought of Qatar's capability to protect athletes.

I think if you compare the prevalent violence in many of the other countries that are bidding for the 2016 Olympics, Qatar is like Disneyland.

Foreign Relations

Most people on this forum are concerned with an Arab country's relation with Israel. Whether we agree or like a country politically is completely separate of what the spirit of the Olympic Games should demonstrate. Qatar has trading and political relations with Israel. We also sell Israeli products. I also personally met with Israeli delgations and tourist who have previously visited Israel. Qatar takes their safety and confidentiality very seriously. This issue is NOT a factor for Qatar's bid.

The Environment

Our green initiatives are being implemented as we speak. Pedestrian zones are being constructed, buses our being replaced with hybrid ones, a metro is being built, roads are being rediricted for better traffic flow, old polluting cars are being prohibited from being operated, and we are quickly hoping on the "Green" bandwagon when it comes to construction and technology.

Finally a recycling program is being implemented in our country, thanks to our current generation of Qataris.

I understand that many of you here have a lot of fears and stereotypes of the Arab world. I don't judge you. All I would like to emphasize is that Qatar's hope of hosting the Olympic Games will be a way for all of us to come together and if not to destroy the existing fears and stereotypes, to at least make it possible for many to create a new and better image of a culture and region that is misportrayed by the media and the few ignorant and cowardly terrorists.

I am a Qatari who has lived 90 percent of his life in the US and I have European mother. My aim is to creat cross-cultural dialogue on a platform that is based on respect and tolerance of others.

We are very serious about our bid and I truly believe we are capable of successfully hosting the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

In terms of it being a small country, what does that have to do with anything?

Almost everything. There's a whole infrastructure in larger cities/countries that will make it easier to stage a temporary 2-week extravaganza the size of the Olympics today. The only reason the 2004 Games went to Greece (the smallest Summer host so far) was for sentimental reasons, not for anything else. But even there, they strained resources to put the show together.

Now, as for Doha:

1. Will there really be enough hotels/homes to accommodate visitors of all cultures and economic means? Are there safe hostels in Doha right now?

(I've read most of the Bid Book. It's all a 'Most Ideal' Scenario. I mean all the other bids similarly praise their own plans to high heavens.)

2. Personnel support. A Summer Olympics today requires around 45,000 volunteers to carry it off. Will you have enough skilled, educated native-born Qataris to fill those positions? I'm sure you'd want true, native-born Qataris in visible positions of contact (not imported expatriates) with foreign visitors to show off your true, authentic character, would you not? Would there be like another 10,000 people for Ceremonies?

And with your small population, you've purposely scaled down your venue capacities (vs. those of the competitor cities') so that you don't have too big a space to fill. I don't think many of the federations will be too happy with that.

3. Practice & training venues. Everyone speaks of the main competition venues; but the unpublicized underside of that is that there is an equal number of practice and warm-up venues that are also needed. Plus, for a country the size of Qatar, where will the top dozen foreign teams find a training base? Over the few Summer Games, like the top 12 largest teams, would find a small town or college where they could base their team away from the glare of the Olympic Village and venues; and be able to rest, train and practice in private.

4. Full or empty stadia? Look at Greece. 1st week of competition - nearly empty stadia. And that's with some 11 million people and being part of Europe. Compare that to how the tickets sold in the US, the 3rd most populous nation, and how they are going right now for Beijing, in the largest country in the world to ever host the Olympics. You are guaranteed at least 80% full venues.

5. Further, except for football and some equestrian, you don't really have a deep-seated culture for the numerous other sports on the Olympic slate. So how will you have athletes and teams to be cheering for?

Does Doha have all of these? I don't think so.

So you and the Doha Committee just can't be in denial, and brush away worries about size. These are the 21st century Olympics; not some international Orchid show or go-kart race.

So you and the Doha Committee just can't be in denial, and brush away worries about size.

Doha 2016 is certainly not in denial and has addressed all these issues. Of course, as you said, everything is always perfect in a bid book and the question is whether they will manage to convince the IOC that all their plans are sounded and achievable. But I give Doha 2016 credit for at least acknowledging and trying to address the issues.

Doha 2016 is certainly not in denial and has addressed all these issues. Of course, as you said, everything is always perfect in a bid book and the question is whether they will manage to convince the IOC that all their plans are sounded and achievable. But I give Doha 2016 credit for at least acknowledging and trying to address the issues.

Well, yes, but DL2016 who seems to be a very well educated man, just brushed away the issue of size in his opening statement alone. Which is what prompted my response.

I think Baron has a point. With smaller countries there is much less room for error, everything has to be super-effiecient or it simply won't work. That's fine in the bid book, but reality has a habit of being differerent. Big cities can cope with cost overruns; they can take the occasional knock and carry on regardless. Greece was about as small as you can go; 5% of their GDP went on Olympic expenidure in 2004. Bigger countries can absorb cost overruns and problems much easier than smaller ones.

Greece was about as small as you can go; 5% of their GDP went on Olympic expenidure in 2004.

Even now, according to some of our Greek members here, a few of the Athens venues are under-used white elephants. And this is already in a democratic, western European setting. What more in an Arab, middle eastern location?

It's not just a matter of throwing up all the necessary brick-and-mortar installations overnight, just because one can afford to do so.

Baron,

I completely understand your concern. Having the ideal infrastructure is a priority for a small congested country such as Qatar. Seeing our ambitious projects being planned and some even currently being under-construction, I do not see the size of our country being an issue.

If we truly are commited in our infrastructure plans (ie Hotels, roads, railway system, etc.) then Qatar will definitely be ready and capable of hosting the olympic games. I also hope that we have learned from the mistakes made during the 2006 Asian games so that we can host the smoothest and most memorable Olympic Games to date.

As far as finding enough native Qataris to volunteer to fill up 45,000 positions, I believe it will be possible if we also include those individuals who were born here, or have lived here for years and have not been naturalized. Those people are Qataris to me too. Doha is very diverse, and to include native Qataris only, would go against the spirit of Qatar; and more importantly that of the Games. For the 2006 Asian Games, we were able to successfully recruit enough Qataris to be temporarily placed in positions of high contact with our visiting guests. Now what I would like to see happen is to see Qataris in their teens volunteer more, especially in positions that were occupied by low-paid expats.

I don't understand what you mean by your question on the safety of our hotels. We tend to have security checkpoints at the entrance to most of our prestigious hotels and when high profile events are staged security sweeps of the entire building(s) take place on a daily basis a few weeks prior to the date of the event.

I have to say that I appreciate your comments because they are helping me understand the case against having Qatar host the 2016 games, and thus allow me to help us be compassionate and resolve people's concerns.

Glad to have met you. :)

Baron,

I don't understand what you mean by your question on the safety of our hotels. We tend to have security checkpoints at the entrance to most of our prestigious hotels and when high profile events are staged security sweeps of the entire building(s) take place on a daily basis a few weeks prior to the date of the event.

I have to say that I appreciate your comments because they are helping me understand the case against having Qatar host the 2016 games, and thus allow me to help us be compassionate and resolve people's concerns.

Glad to have met you. :)

Glad to be of service, DL2016. I hope you did not take the direct tone of my post too harshly; I was just being succinct. After all, we are in competition. Me backing Rio and you, of course, Doha.

Re your question: what did I mean by 'safe'? What I meant was if such an event were held in --as you well know -- the US or western Europe, you have such things as hostels or posadas (in Portugal) or B&Bs where visitors of limited economic means can stay. Not everybody can afford to stay in a Hilton or a Four Seasons which are, for the most part, very secure. So, would Doha have such hostelries that are safe to young travelers and can guarantee their safety? Such small mom-and-pop establishments cannot afford the closet-circuit TV, in-house security that the large hotels or berthed cruise ships can offer. So: (1) would there be such lodgings available; and (2) would they be secure? That was the thrust of my comment.

Of course, if Doha wins 2016, you will owe me a room come 2016, for having pointed out to you the deficiencies of Doha's bid. :D;)

Baron,

Not at all. I actually enjoy your input a lot.

Hostels don't really exist in Qatar. We have two and three star hotels that are pretty cheap. B&Bs do exist as well, but due to people's greed, the prices tend to be a bit inflated.

In terms of an attack happening at one of these establishments, I don't see it happening, as tens of thousands of westerners visit Qatar annually. There are more Europeans here at times than there are Qataris. My point around safety is that Qatar takes security VERY seriously and always has. People's safety and taking the necessary precautions towards preventing a potential terrorist attack (which we all know could happen anywhere in the world) are our primary concern.

P.S. When we host the 2016 olympics I will definitely get you a nice discount on a room in a posh hotel. That is if don't prefer staying in a hostel or B&B ;)

DL2016 !!! AKA my pal at iloveqatar.net thanks for helping this thread improve :)

oh btw about the Doha exaggerating about the 80,000 hotel rooms by 2016 well its acctully true and its happening right now !

because Doha will get 22 new hotels by the end of this summer alone !!!

Doha to get 22 new hotels this summer

Doha • A total of 22 new hotels will be opened by this summer and over the next four years several hotel conglomerates will invest billions of dollars in a series of hotels and hospitality-related developments in the country, according to the Qatar Tourism Authority (QTA).

The Four Seasons, Hyatt, Hilton, Inter-Continental and other multinational hotel corporations are constructing new properties in Doha to meet high demand. More than $100bn in infrastructure and investment projects will be completed by 2012.

By 2016, more than 80,000 rooms will be available, all guaranteed by the government and these rooms will be ready well in advance of 2016 regardless of the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) decision to pick Doha as host city for the 2016 games. The decision is to be made next year.

Hassan Ali bin Ali, Chairman of the Doha 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games Bid, said he was “immensely pleased" with the growth within the hospitality sector in Qatar and that as a result the country will become a more attractive destination for sports, business and tourism.

A survey conducted by the consultancy, Deloitte, showed that the Middle East hotel industry is one of the fastest-growing hospitality sectors in the world. Revenues per available room (RevPar) increased by 17 percent in 2007, exceeding both the Asia-Pacific and Europe, with a promising outlook in the near future.

“Qatar is one of the most exciting countries to visit in the Middle East. We have a rich culture and vibrant history. Visitors to Qatar have wonderful opportunities to explore the natural environment, take desert safaris, visit our ancient monuments, relax at our many beaches and pools or attend one of the many international sporting competitions held in Qatar annually," said bin Ali.

@baron, you'll always be welcome in Qatar whether we win or not :)

I hope to think that Qatari's are friendly people.

In terms of safety, it's one of the safest countries in the world. Safer than the US or Japan statistically.

@DL2016, you're grammar, explanation, and your method of being concise is so similar to mine. Feel free to join us over at www.iloveqatar.net !!

I'm confident that Qatar has a great chance at winning and that if we do, it will not only be a truly memorable experience but it will catapult Qatar into a better future and be the trigger towards developing the region.

Archived