Is Doha Really Biding For 2016?

^^ RIGHT :lol::lol::lol: why wouldnt they doha is a great competitor and it might make the shortlists easily did i mention that were constructing dozens of hospitality projects

But what sporting culture does Qatar have in the Olympics? How would the people of Qatar react to the prospect of having the games? How would they contribute?

And would they feel safe with an Olympics in the Middle East? No offense. But I actually think Dubai would be more feasible.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what sporting culture does Qatar have in the Olympics? How would the people of Qatar react to the prospect of having the games? How would they contribute?

And would they feel safe with an Olympics in the Middle East? No offense. But I actually think Dubai would be more feasible.

and why would you think dubai is more feasible dubai is one word FAKE and second they never hosted a major sport event so how do you say there more feasible than doha which has already hosted 2 gulf cups 1 asian games 1 asian cup and hosting the asian indoor games in 2011 along with the 2011 asian cup so i dont know how you think , about safe thing then of course yes Qatar is among the safest in the middle east and its not a problem since it was safe for the asian games , about the contribution then i would expect 50% of the population to be in the stadium since they know what an olymoics is and they will be there to see it and it would be a major reaction (I am Qatari you can ask me anything you whant ok :D)

Being safe for the Asian Games doesn't necessarily translate into being safe for the far bigger, truelly international spectacle that is the Olympics.

Let's be realistic for once; there are so many cities interested to host the Olympic Games, but only a small, small handful of cities in the world will actually get a chance to do so. In the last 110 years since the Modern Olympics came about, only 23 cities around around the world have hosted the Summer Olympics (and 4 of those were repeat hosts), but yet somehow, alot of people here seem to simplistic think that every corner of the Earth is going to host because city x simply has this or that. :rolleyes:

^^ and your point will be ?

BTW what does being safe have to do with the olympics yes we dont have hizbolah or osama here :lol: and if this makes you safe then we have the largest american air force base in the world named al-udaid base in doha is this safe enough

What does being safe have to do with the Olympics? I hope you are joking.

You really need to read up on Olympic bids to get a better picture of what we're talking about.

BTW what does being safe have to do with the olympics yes we dont have hizbolah or osama here :lol: and if this makes you safe then we have the largest american air force base in the world named al-udaid base in doha is this safe enough

"Safe" meaning the IOC is not stupidly staging their event so it'll become a 'killing field'. Haven't you heard of Munich 1972?

The IOC wants to guarantee the safety of its event, the athletes, for the VISITORS. In case you forget, the event is FOR PEACE -- and not foolishly exposing it to greater risk in a foolhardy manner. That's why.

First of all, lets look at Athens. First off, many events had to relay on foreign tourist, not locals to fill the seats and in most cases the seats were hardly filled for many events. There was large sections of empty seats even in athletics and aquatics. This is in a country of around 10 million people and has a far greater sports culture than Qatar. Also the foreign tourist element will not be as large for a Qatari games because Qatar is not an attractive destination for western tourist where the money is.

Also Qatar does not have a high GDP, it is 61 in normal GDP and 102 in PPP. GDP per capita is high, but that means nothing.

Qataris already called the sports hub of the middle east :D and we are by far safer than the other arabian/islamic cities we rarely have some stupid guy killing some other guy or cannibalism or any of that the deaths caused in the asian games were accidents one is that the horse slipped and second there was a car crash from rains during the games in december

GDP is not related to the olympics :D

GDP is not related to the olympics :D

Unless your gov't will PAY for everything, GDP is. The host nation must've a sufficient population base (AND disposable purchasing power) to purchase all the toys, mascots, tie-in merchandise that will help finance the Games. At least that's been the formula up to now. A population of 1 million or so will hardly be buying the hundreds of thousands of Official products tied in to finance the Games.

Someone compared the Doha bid to the Sochi bid. The Russians have a long and successful tradition on the Winter Olympic games (not to shabby in the Summer Games also) - to my knowledge Qatar has not been that successful in the Olympics - how many metals won in how many sports - they want the home team to be competitive and to do well - it helps fill the stands

The nearest Games staged near the M.E was Athens 2004.

Now it will be Sochi in 2014 :)

Btw it may be a weakness for ME in 2016.

However I am sure that Doha's questionnaire will be great after today's news that Helios partners will work for them http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/news/view...p;id=1187279384

Look at the Metro Populations of the cities with bids:

Tokyo - 13,000,000

Rio - 12,000,000

Chicago - 10,000,000

Madrid - 5,500,000

Baku - 2,000,000

Doha - 350,000

Can such a small community be considered on a list that goes Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, ...???

Just to give you an idea, London 2012 reckon they'll sell 8 million tickets, which is great in a city the size of London in a country the size of the UK. Also, London has a huge number of regular tourists who'll want in. And then of course you've got the "Olympic tourists" who'll be in London just because they're hosting the Olympics.

This is about six times as many as Doha 2006's capacity which was by no means sold out anyway.

It goes without saying that Doha would get the "Olympic tourists" if it hosts but this won't be enough as Athens (a bigger, more touristy city than Doha) proved. A city of 350,000 in the Middle East will not have a large enough number of regular tourists or a large enough local population to draw on to ensure the stadiums and arenas are full.

Just to give you an idea, London 2012 reckon they'll sell 8 million tickets, which is great in a city the size of London in a country the size of the UK. Also, London has a huge number of regular tourists who'll want in. And then of course you've got the "Olympic tourists" who'll be in London just because they're hosting the Olympics.

This is about six times as many as Doha 2006's capacity which was by no means sold out anyway.

It goes without saying that Doha would get the "Olympic tourists" if it hosts but this won't be enough as Athens (a bigger, more touristy city than Doha) proved. A city of 350,000 in the Middle East will not have a large enough number of regular tourists or a large enough local population to draw on to ensure the stadiums and arenas are full.

Well, Doha could host smaller Games (speaking in number of spectators).

Let's remember that all the recent Games had venues with capacity far higher than what is required by the IOC (which is fine as long as they are filled during the Games and do not result in white elephants after the Games). They would have to find other ressources to compensate what would be lost on tickets sales.

I don't think Doha stands much a chance for 2016. Yet, I think they will put on a very decent bid for a first timer and I am really looking forward seeing the questionnaire.

Well, Doha could host smaller Games (speaking in number of spectators).

Let's remember that all the recent Games had venues with capacity far higher than what is required by the IOC (which is fine as long as they are filled during the Games and do not result in white elephants after the Games). They would have to find other ressources to compensate what would be lost on tickets sales.

I don't think Doha stands much a chance for 2016. Yet, I think they will put on a very decent bid for a first timer and I am really looking forward seeing the questionnaire.

Why even waste time and money in bidding?

HAVANA has a better chance!! :lol:

Ticketing hisotry of the Olympics

Add to the SOG Games list:

Beijing: about 9 million (assuming 80% sold, 7.2m)

London: about 8 million (assuming 80% sold 6.4m)

Would the IOC want to scale down again?

Regardless of Doha, if the IOC is serious about bringing the Games to new frontier, it might have to scale down. I am not sure Rio or Cape Town for example could sell so many tickets.

Who said the IOC was serious about bringing the Games to new frontiers? That's only a few Gamesbidders. China and Spain are the most recent new countries for the Summer Games. And Russia and Canada are the most recent for the Winter Games - and since they both hosted Summer Games before, it could even said that Yugoslavia/Bosnia was the last new frontier winter Games.

They like big fancy Olympics in big fancy cities with excitement, fun and money.

Archived