Is Doha Really Biding For 2016?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well at least the President of the Olympic Council of Asia is taking the bid seriously since he has publicly stated that he would like either Tokyo or Doha to withdraw so that Asia gets a stronger chance.

Following Doha 2006 Asian Games, I think Doha could put up a decent proposal that I am really looking forward to study.

Qatar and Doha are too small, there is not even 900,000 people in the country and between Bolivia and Panama in GDP.

Qatar is lacking in pretty much every area that is important:

The small population means that there is a lack potential work-force and volunteer force and the lack of people able to speak Qatari Arabic means that it is hard to bring people in as volunteers

The small population means that there is a limited base of potential local ticket buyers and local fans and being a country that is not a desirable destination the local crowd would be hugely important.

Limited to no sports culture

Lack of international appeal

Limited connections to the IOC

weather problems

Qatar and Doha are too small, there is not even 900,000 people in the country and between Bolivia and Panama in GDP.

Qatar is lacking in pretty much every area that is important:

The small population means that there is a lack potential work-force and volunteer force and the lack of people able to speak Qatari Arabic means that it is hard to bring people in as volunteers

The small population means that there is a limited base of potential local ticket buyers and local fans and being a country that is not a desirable destination the local crowd would be hugely important.

Limited to no sports culture

Lack of international appeal

Limited connections to the IOC

weather problems

Not denying any of this, I still think it will be interesting to have a bid from a country out of the traditionnal field of EU / G8 + possibly Rio candidates.

As Doha stands very little chance to host any time soon, their bid is clearly a PR operation.

sure, but it showed how the IOC loves white elephants, and how the like the big money.

I think it's a little too early to speak of white elephants when it comes to Sochi. About big money, I don't think that should be an issue for Chicago and Tokyo given that US and Japan are the world #1 and #2 economies.

Doha has some chance and by 2016 it would be expected to have most if not all the infrastructure necessary to host a successful Olympics...

- The new airport

- Road infrastructure

- Perhaps new taxi and bus services

- The Athlete's Village is a must

- And of course there's a real need for more hotel space

- And finally, there's the stadium. It would be expected to be upgraded to 70,000 or more. (but alas, it would most likely mean a sacrifice of the large LED screen that was used during the Asian Games ceremonies...)

But as for winning in it's first go (assuming it makes the shortlist, which is of some possibility), then it may not necessarily be so, I doubt that there'd be much support from African and other "poorer" nations, especially if Rio makes the cut, along with other downsides mentioned before, I doubt that Doha will win in it's first bid, maybe a few more bids down the track... :unsure:

Doha has some chance and by 2016 it would be expected to have most if not all the infrastructure necessary to host a successful Olympics...

- The new airport

- Road infrastructure

- Perhaps new taxi and bus services

- The Athlete's Village is a must

- And of course there's a real need for more hotel space

- And finally, there's the stadium. It would be expected to be upgraded to 70,000 or more. (but alas, it would most likely mean a sacrifice of the large LED screen that was used during the Asian Games ceremonies...)

But as for winning in it's first go (assuming it makes the shortlist, which is of some possibility), then it may not necessarily be so, I doubt that there'd be much support from African and other "poorer" nations, especially if Rio makes the cut, along with other downsides mentioned before, I doubt that Doha will win in it's first bid, maybe a few more bids down the track... :unsure:

Doha has no chance, absolutely none. Its too small.

I don't think Sochi would have elephants. Considering winter Olympics facilities are in need in Russia. But anyway, Doha has as much chance as my back yard hosting the Olympics.

hahaha I agree completely! :P no offense...but it would be a serious money waster to try and compete with Chicago, Madrid, or Tokyo.

I don't think Sochi would have elephants. Considering winter Olympics facilities are in need in Russia. But anyway, Doha has as much chance as my back yard hosting the Olympics.

How's the work on the back yard Olympic Park progressing?

The whole 'too small' argument is stupid really. Doha will stage the Games - but they will be a Games for the whole region. There are millions of people in and around the gulf region - but no really huge cities - except maybe Kuwait City or Riyadh. Doha has the money, they have proven they host can host a huge multisport event with style and considerable success, and apart from maybe Dubai they are the only viable hosts in the region.

Just dismissing their bid out of hand is folly. They are talking the language the IOC listens to - money, money, money.

The IOC could also use a Doha games as a kind of new frontier bid - takes the pressure off them giving the Games to Sth America or Africa.

The whole 'too small' argument is stupid really. Doha will stage the Games - but they will be a Games for the whole region. There are millions of people in and around the gulf region - but no really huge cities - except maybe Kuwait City or Riyadh. Doha has the money, they have proven they host can host a huge multisport event with style and considerable success, and apart from maybe Dubai they are the only viable hosts in the region.

Just dismissing their bid out of hand is folly. They are talking the language the IOC listens to - money, money, money.

The IOC could also use a Doha games as a kind of new frontier bid - takes the pressure off them giving the Games to Sth America or Africa.

@ tnmp,

just curious - have you been to Doha?

Even putting aside the "too small" argument that others are making on Qatar, the bigger one is going to be is the IOC ready to take the Games to such a volatile region. The area can hardly be called stable, & issues of how the Muslim culture treats women (i.e. are they going to tolerate woman athletes competing in "male" sports, & not to mention other issues) shall come into play. Istanbul seems to be the one with having the greatest chance at being the first Muslim host (when the IOC is ready to make that jump), considering it's the most democratic & moderate of any of the other Muslim cities/countries & is not located in the center of conflict. The IOC obviously likes money & Doha/Qatar may have some, but the U.S. & Japan have far much more of it. And a new region of a continent that has hosted several times can hardly be called "new frontier" vs. continents that haven't hosted at all.

Even putting aside the "too small" argument that others are making on Qatar, the bigger one is going to be is the IOC ready to take the Games to such a volatile region. The area can hardly be called stable, & issues of how the Muslim culture treats women (i.e. are they going to tolerate woman athletes competing in "male" sports, & not to mention other issues) shall come into play. Istanbul seems to be the one with having the greatest chance at being the first Muslim host (when the IOC is ready to make that jump), considering it's the most democratic & moderate of any of the other Muslim cities/countries & is not located in the center of conflict. The IOC obviously likes money & Doha/Qatar may have some, but the U.S. & Japan have far much more of it. And a new region of a continent that has hosted several times can hardly be called "new frontier" vs. continents that haven't hosted at all.

Firdtly - I suppose we could put this volatility into perspective. Should Abuja be instantly discredited due to the proximity to Sudan? Qatar is far enough away from the troubles in Iraq - Yemen is a concern, but the small skirmishes there haven't boiled over into Saudi - thus I'd say Qatar is safe. As for womens rights - well, that is relative. Qatar seems pretty advanced and somewhat more moderate when it comes to womens rights. The Asian Games still had the womens marathon where ladies wearing very little ran around the streets of Doha. The female swimming and gymnastic events still went ahead... I suppose local audiences for these events may be less - but the show still goes on.

I am also well aware that the US and Japan have more money, but the Middle East is a new frontier for the IOC. The nearest Games staged near the M.E was Athens 2004. Also hosting the Games in Qatar may take some urgency off the arguments that Africa MUST! HOST! SOON! as it is quite nearby.

I am yet to read a really strong reason why Doha should be so easily dismissed. Their candidacy is nowhere near as strong or visible as Tokyo and Chicago - but lets see what the Questionnaire Response has to say first :)

And CAF - I haven't been to Doha, but have been to Bahrain, the UAE, Saudi Arabia and Oman. I hope to get to Qatar and Kuwait next year.

I don't see how Doha hosting would take some of the urgency off Africa hosting soon, simply because they're nearby to one another. Greece is closer to Africa than Qatar is, but Athens hosting didn't diminish the IOC's desire to still try & take the Games there (or is it because Greece is in Europe). Plus, the desire is mainly Sub-Saharan Africa, which is even farther away from Doha. Then of course there's the other matter of South America, another new-frontier on the other side of the world that's still waiting for their turn to host. I still believe if the IOC wants to take the plunge on a Muslim/Middle Eastern host, they're gonna take it with moderate Istanbul. They have the bidding experience, completed their stadium, & building up their infrastructure. But people are always gonna have their preferences.

I still believe if the IOC wants to take the plunge on a Muslim/Middle Eastern host, they're gonna take it with moderate Istanbul. They have the bidding experience, completed their stadium, & building up their infrastructure. But people are always gonna have their preferences.

I am confident that Istanbul will host in the future. Istanbul main problems at the moment is the lack of experience in hosting World Champs and multi-sports events as well as the general transport infrastructure which currently does not meet the cities needs.

I don't give Doha much a chance against Chicago, Madrid or Tokyo but I still think it will be very interesting to study their questionnaire.

:unsure: Qatar is too small a nation to host a mega event like the Oympics UNLESS the other UAE memebers helped out. The Asian games is the biggest multisport event ever hosted in the region...Although Oil rich, Doha is population small and even it's near neighbour Dubai, the shining light of the region, would find it difficult to host the Olympics this side of the 2025.

Ok you guys made me so angry that i dicided to regester and log in to clear things UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Qatar has population of 1,000,000 starting this year !

Doha is hosting the asian cup and along with the asian indoor games in both in 2011

Doha is confident of getting the support to the olympics

Doha has alot of infrustructure and getting better by 2009

Qatar has one of the highest gdps in the world

Qatar is considered the richest contry in the world qnd the wealthest

Qatar has one of the fastes grozing airlines in the world

Doha by 2009 will open its new airport and finsh it ultimatly between 2009 - 2015

i will cuntinue later

Ok you guys made me so angry that i dicided to regester and log in to clear things UP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Qatar has population of 1,000,000 starting this year !

Doha is hosting the asian cup and along with the asian indoor games in both in 2011

Doha is confident of getting the support to the olympics

Doha has alot of infrustructure and getting better by 2009

Qatar has one of the highest gdps in the world

Qatar is considered the richest contry in the world qnd the wealthest

Qatar has one of the fastes grozing airlines in the world

Doha by 2009 will open its new airport and finsh it ultimatly between 2009 - 2015

i will cuntinue later

That's all nice, but I don't think the IOC is willing to host a Games in the Middle East this soon.

Archived