Mario And Sonic At The 2008 Beijing Games(pic)

Lenric

SEGA lauched the new Mario Game <<Mario & Sonic at the 2008 Olympic Games>> on the E3.

Nope, it doesn't say anywhere that these are the Beijing 2008 Game edition. Why would the Official Mascots share the stage with Sonic? Neither is the beijing logo there.

These are just generic Olympic video Games. If anything it's the creators of Mario & Sonic that will get royalties -- not BOCOG.

Nope, it doesn't say anywhere that these are the Beijing 2008 Game edition. Why would the Official Mascots share the stage with Sonic? Neither is the beijing logo there.

These are just generic Olympic video Games. If anything it's the creators of Mario & Sonic that will get royalties -- not BOCOG.

No, it is a Beijing edition. The graphics use stylised renderings of the real Beijing facilities, including the Birds Nest, and the logo and the mascots feature on at least one of the screenshots posted above. It's also the first Mario/Sonic olympic title.

I'm not sure of it will be the only Beijing game, though. There's usually also an "official" Olympic video game title, a bit more realistic, that always uses renderings of the venues and logos etc of the upcoming games. They're never usually much good to play, though.

No, it is a Beijing edition. The graphics use stylised renderings of the real Beijing facilities, including the Birds Nest, and the logo and the mascots feature on at least one of the screenshots posted above. It's also the first Mario/Sonic olympic title.

I'm not sure of it will be the only Beijing game, though. There's usually also an "official" Olympic video game title, a bit more realistic, that always uses renderings of the venues and logos etc of the upcoming games. They're never usually much good to play, though.

There will be a second "official" game with more realistic competitors and surroundings, and it will be released next year.

• 1 month later...

Just got sent a press release with details of the game:

SEGA Europe Ltd and SEGA® of America, Inc., today revealed details of the exciting blockbuster title, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games™. Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

This exciting new game for the Wii™ video game system Wii™ and Nintendo DS™ system is packed with all-new interactive features and includes 20 authentic Olympic events – played out in stylised Olympic venues. Using the Wii Remote™ and Nunchuck™ control system, players can have an unparalleled interactive experience and compete using one of 16 characters – 8 from the world of Mario and 8 from the world of Sonic. The Wii controls are created specifically to replicate the actions that offer the best results for each event which include:

• Fencing – Individual epée

• Archery

• Shooting – Skeet

• Gymnastics - Trampoline

• Gymnastics - Vault

• Field - High Jump

• Field - Pole Vault

• Field - Long Jump

• Field - Triple Jump

• Field – Javelin Throw

• Field - Hammer Throw

• Rowing – Single Sculls

• Table Tennis - Singles

• Aquatics – 100m Freestyle

• Aquatics – 4x100m Freestyle

• Track – 110m and 400m Hurdles

• Track – 4x100m Relay

• Track –100m and 400m

The interactive Wii controls include actions like swinging the Wii Remote™ to simulate hammer throw, notching the Nunchuk to shoot arrows, and replicating swimming strokes. Players can also discover the best way to win a game by experimenting with different movements to discover secret boosts to propel them towards a win.

With four playing styles to choose from, players can decide their game strategy: all-around, technical, speed, and power - for example: Mario and Amy (All-around), Peach and Tails (Technical), Sonic and Yoshi (Speed), and Knuckles and Bowser (Power). Players will be able to choose and try out, in both single and multiplayer mode, each event individually with Single Match mode (where players can choose their event and play until they score top marks). They can also compete for the highest overall score in a series of events in Circuit mode (where players can either create their own circuit by choosing the individual events, choose a pre-determined circuit, or randomly generate a circuit). Gamers looking for extra tests of their athletic abilities can choose the single-player Mission mode and earn top marks on challenges made for only the toughest athlete. Additionally, gamers can learn about the history of the Olympic Games through trivia, quizzes, and mini-games and unlock all-new facts and figures from past Olympic Games in the Gallery.

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will be in-stores across Australia on November 22nd, 2007 for Wii, and Q1 2008 for the Nintendo DS.

Hmmm. I'm actually thinking of getting myself a Wii soon.

• 2 months later...

Well, got myself a Wii (mainly for Wii Sports, I'm not much a fan of the other Nintendo titles). And naturally the second game I've played on it is mario and Sonic in beijing.

And I'm sorry to say, I'm not impressed. I was hoping that being the Wii, it would be something other than button mashing. Instead, it's more like Nunchuck mashing _ in running, for example, it's really nothing but frantically waving the controller and nunchuck up and down as fast as you can.

I'm sorry to say, I still don't think it's ab trend setting Olympic-themed video game.

:(

We have the Wii version and my children love it. Surely real running is just waving your legs up and down frantically instead of your arms!

I like a bit more challenge than just who can shake the controllers fastest. There's so many Wii games that have done better.