August: The Month For 2016 Bidders

Now that it is officially August and the Pan Am Games are over, bidders for 2016 will unveil new logos, take bids to Lausanne, and maybe some new bids will come out (Istanbul <_< , Havana, Bangkok, maybe a surprise South African or Aussie bid :o ) Or maybe Sta. Paquita, Kansas will defy the USOC and Peter and present a bid that will overshadow all others :P

This month will sure be exciting for those interested in the 2016 race

its gonna be interesting...

on one hand we have to se what happens with:

Rio......., that is beacuse they have the World Cup and thats gonna be a big NoNo for the 2016 because of money...they may have the infrastructure by that time but is 2 years of difference....

madrid...is one of the favorites...first beacuse of the past bid....also beacuse it counts like an latinamerican....and they speak spanish....and its time for that to happen...i mean spanish olympics. Not, english, not german, not mandarin, not french.....SPANISH is the one...

Tokio....has everything also, but is to crowded...and theres beiging....so...we´ll have to see...

chicago....they have money!!!....they have a lot of latin people living there!!!...but its USA.....they have had the olympics several times...and not everyone likes that country...beacuse all bad things that had happened...but it has huge possibiliites....

monterrey....its latinamerica....in AMERICA...not like madrid...its a medium city...its the richest of latinamerica....has the richest people living on it...and has most of the infrastructure.....the problem is that its the first time bid process for these city....but there´s atlanta 96.....everything can happen...

there are other cities, but i think these ones are the best...and that have mayor possibilities....

So.....lets see what happens on the next month....

madrid...is one of the favorites...first beacuse of the past bid....also beacuse it counts like an latinamerican....and they speak spanish....and its time for that to happen...i mean spanish olympics. Not, english, not german, not mandarin, not french.....SPANISH is the one...

Yeh, because Spain hasn't had an Olympics for such a long time. I'm willing to bet Madrid won't win this time, if you think they're one of the favourites maybe you'll take me up on it.

Favourites????

:blink:

At best it's just making up the numbers.

Nothwithstanding the fact, mentioned by others, that Barcelona is still not that long ago, there's a little matter of another European city already hosting the games in 2012. Just about every other European NOC recognises that 2016 is not Europe's turn, the Spaniards are the only ones who just can't face that reality.

I think the reason that Madrid is bidding, is to keep Spain/Madrid in the forefront of the IOC. If they can impress, then an agressive campaign for 2020 could well be acceptable.

Although, i think Paris will be putting up a good fight for 2020/2024, and will certainly want to be the next European City to host, Remember, Spain last had 1992... Barcelona is still rememorable.

i mean spanish olympics. Not, english, not german, not mandarin, not french.....SPANISH is the one...

So by your reasoning the IOC should choose a host by the language of the country? If thats your reasoning then why are you picking on Germany since they haven't hosted a games since 1972 and Spain hosted in 1992?

Interesting idea basing the rotation around languages. Only problem is the single nation languages get the beat on. I'll admit I favor the Chicago Bid, yet I'm torn since it will only have been 20 yrs since Atlanta and less since Salt Lake (though I don't really place the WOG and SOG on a competing rotation). Madrid will have be an oddball favorite since London has 2012 games and it looks to be the only European Country. I do see that at as a bonus for Madrid and anything is possible but I wouldn't hold my breath. They really should try for the 2010 YSOG if they have the facilities. Ok sorry I'm starting to blabber. To be fair I can't wait to see what Rio, Tokyo and Monterrey bring together.

Language is an interesting thing to consider, and English has clearly been the most common. I think 10 of 30 Olympiads have had an English host (Montreal had both French & English).

Mostly French though.

Archived