Badminton gym designs

Andrew8

It is not really surprising that BOCOG is going to have a venue like those for only badminton. It will be filled with fans for sure, considering that the sport is one of China's and Asia's favorite.

One thing I don't understand...

According to Beijing's initial bid, the badminton event is said to be held in one of the halls of the new Exhibition and Convention Center, located right at the Olympic Park.

So how come they changed their plan.

I read some time ago that the Organizing Committee want to use their money more wisely by holding events like Judo and Wrestling in one single venue, where as in their initial bid the two sports belongs to two different venues (not sure if I got the sports right, but that's their mentality).

And why are they now building a seperate venue for badminton?  To me, staging badminton in a conference center will certainly save them a lot of money.  First question.  And second, is the IOC notified for that?

Not blaming Beijing at all.  I am just very curious whether the way they handled is normal,  or acceptable by the IOC rulebook.

I don't think it's gonna be a waste having a badminton stadium in Beijing.

Kuala Lumpur has a badminton stadium which hosted the 98 Commonwealth Games. That stadium now is too small and many matches, local and international are now held at the Putra Indoor Stadium at Bukit Jalil which hosted the Commonwealth Games Gymnastics events that can fill about 16,000 spectators... and most badminton practise sessions nowadays are being held at the Juara Stadium, which hosted the Commonwealth Games Netball event that can fit I think either 18 or 24 badminton courts....

Even a smaller city like KL needs a good sizeable badminton stadium.. Beijing needs one!

One thing I don't understand...

According to Beijing's initial bid, the badminton event is said to be held in one of the halls of the new Exhibition and Convention Center, located right at the Olympic Park.

So how come they changed their plan.

I read some time ago that the Organizing Committee want to use their money more wisely by holding events like Judo and Wrestling in one single venue, where as in their initial bid the two sports belongs to two different venues (not sure if I got the sports right, but that's their mentality).

And why are they now building a seperate venue for badminton?  To me, staging badminton in a conference center will certainly save them a lot of money.  First question.  And second, is the IOC notified for that?

Not blaming Beijing at all.  I am just very curious whether the way they handled is normal,  or acceptable by the IOC rulebook.

That's ture when Beijing bid for 2008.

After that Beijing goverment hope that Olympic should "walk" close to young people,so Beijing goverment suggest BOCOG to change this plan,and BOCOG got the IOC's consent.

So that's the reason that Badminton gym will be built in Beijing University of Technology.Some gymnasiums of Olympics will also be built in other universities of Beijing.

n1 is great

there won't be any venue in Beijing that was anounced during it's bid?

At first Beijing didn't plan to build some venues in some universities of Beijing.They plan build all the venues in the "Olympic Green"(just Olympic Villege) And after Beijing win the bid the goverment found some problems what i talked about in the last post of mine here.

So they want to change the plan to IOC.And IOC agree this,so that's all.  :) In that way more and more students of universities could see more olympic events in their own university.

n1 is great

there won't be any venue in Beijing that was anounced during it's bid?

At first Beijing didn't plan to build some venues in some universities of Beijing.They plan build all the venues in the "Olympic Green"(just Olympic Villege) And after Beijing win the bid the goverment found some problems what i talked about in the last post of mine here.

So they want to change the plan to IOC.And IOC agree this,so that's all.  :) In that way more and more students of universities could see more olympic events in their own university.

ok  :)

Hi Wen-ting,

--Do you know whether they are still building the huge "Exhibition and Convention Center" in the Olympic Green?  Or it will be used solely as the media center?  And if they are not building it, what will the site be used for instead?

--Do you know where I could find more information about the basketball stadium.  I know it is a very interesting design.

Hi Wen-ting,

--Do you know whether they are still building the huge "Exhibition and Convention Center" in the Olympic Green?  Or it will be used solely as the media center?  And if they are not building it, what will the site be used for instead?

--Do you know where I could find more information about the basketball stadium.  I know it is a very interesting design.

About these,i haven't heard the lastest news.

About "Exhibition and Convention Center" i think i know as much as you...about it will be used solely as the media center,i think it will.And there are also many other international media centers in Beijing. New building of CCTV(China Central TV) is a very great place for Olympic media center.And this building will be finished in 2007. 2008 it will be in use...

1.jpg

2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived