What If China Has Another Sars Outbreak?

We never pray for that to happen. If by chance it occures that another SARS outbreak is in China at this ceremonial period, I think the Chinese have to face it squarely. And, it would have a dramatic effect on the chances of the games really passing through, making them the worse Olympic games in the history of the Olympic.

Meanwhile, chances are that it will not happen. I also beleive they are surveilances everywhere searching for outbreaks here and there in China. If not, they should try to start doing that now.

Overall, it is just as simple as canceling the Games if a major SARS outbreak occurs over Summer 2008. It happened with the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup in China but it was however moved to the USA. It would be such short notice now to get a back up host for the 2008 Olympics, we would just have it in an odd year when China contains the spread of the virus. It would probably be postponed to 2009.

How long would it take for a backup host city to make all the necessary preparations to come in as a back up host? With China being a risky host nation, more so to the health and well-being of the athletes, media, international spectators, etc.. There has to be some backup plan already in place. That's what I hope to believe. If they don't then the games would definitely be pushed back a year.

God forbid that some sever health outbreak occurs in China next year and a backup host city comes in the picture. Will Beijing just be awarded the next available Summer Olympics? How would this work? It wouldn't be fair to them. I think the best thing to do would be postponing it to 2009.

Overall, it is just as simple as canceling the Games if a major SARS outbreak occurs over Summer 2008. It happened with the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup in China but it was however moved to the USA. It would be such short notice now to get a back up host for the 2008 Olympics, we would just have it in an odd year when China contains the spread of the virus. It would probably be postponed to 2009.

How long would it take for a backup host city to make all the necessary preparations to come in as a back up host? With China being a risky host nation, more so to the health and well-being of the athletes, media, international spectators, etc.. There has to be some backup plan already in place. That's what I hope to believe. If they don't then the games would definitely be pushed back a year.

God forbid that some sever health outbreak occurs in China next year and a backup host city comes in the picture. Will Beijing just be awarded the next available Summer Olympics? How would this work? It wouldn't be fair to them. I think the best thing to do would be postponing it to 2009.

2009 won't happen Dave. '09 is not an auspicious year in the Chinese calendar. When the 1916, 1940 and 1944 Games were cancelled, the IOC just waited for the next leap year. I think China would kill off all its fowl before allowing 2008 to be cancelled or postponed. THey can always revive the species after 2008.

From what I know, Los Angeles and Seoul would be the first choices in a situation such as this and Seoul probably getting the nod. They are as ready as LA and being in Asia definitely helps.

From what I know, Los Angeles and Seoul would be the first choices in a situation such as this and Seoul probably getting the nod. They are as ready as LA and being in Asia definitely helps.

From what I have seen from LA 2016 bid books, I think LA would probably be the city most ready to act as a back-up host.

This being said, given the size and complexity of the Games, there is absolutely no way a city could act as a back-up if it is not designated at least 3 years ahead of time.

I don't think Seoul can because it couldn't single handedly host its former WC which it cohosted with Japan. The most capable country in Asia would have be Japan-- if it's willing to.

I don't think Seoul can because it couldn't single handedly host its former WC which it cohosted with Japan. The most capable country in Asia would have be Japan-- if it's willing to.

James, the only reason why Korea cohosted WC 2002 with Japan is because FIFA decided so. There is absolutely no doubt that either Japan or Korea could have hosted the WC alone...

It managed the Olympics alone in 1988 _ and that's why it and Los Angeles are generally assumed to be the main likely back-up hosts for any problem games at present.

What about Athens?

If there was another outbreak of SARS next summer, how could Seoul even be looked at as a back-up option. With Seoul being only 500 miles from Beijing & a mere 150 miles from the Chinese border, it would seem impractical. The 2003 outbreak saw cases in neighboring Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan & Vietnam, & even as far away as Toronto, Canada. The virus would know no national boundaries.

The influx of travelers that an Olympic Games brings from around the world is so great, that even more logical, far away, back-ups like Sydney, L.A. or Athens would be shot down because the threat of the spread of the virus would be so severe that health authorities would be well against it. The Games would most likely be cancelled.

If there was another outbreak of SARS next summer, how could Seoul even be looked at as a back-up option. With Seoul being only 500 miles from Beijing & a mere 150 miles from the Chinese border, it would seem impractical. The 2003 outbreak saw cases in neighboring Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan & Vietnam, & even as far away as Toronto, Canada. The virus would know no national boundaries.

The influx of travelers that an Olympic Games brings from around the world is so great, that even more logical, far away, back-ups like Sydney, L.A. or Athens would be shot down because the threat of the spread of the virus would be so severe that health authorities would be well against it. The Games would most likely be cancelled.

Good point, FYI. Or....have the first totally inclusive SARS-infected Olympics. I mean if everybody competing and attending was already infected, so there would be no fear of new outbreaks and the Games would still go on, right? :lol: