Spielberg Threatens To Quit 2008

Yes, I hope the Olympics pass without too much political meddling or controversy. Remember it's not the fatcats and political figureheads that will be hurt the most, it will be the Chinese people who have looked forward to their moment for 6 years now. They deserve a great games. They deserve their moment of glory. Remember they can't even choose who leads their country.

Magic, you got it all turned around. The Games are not awarded or put on for the PLEASURE of the host people. They went for it; it was given to them -- therefore they have to support it.

The Games (much as I disagree with it) are for the athletes AND for the people of the world -- not ONE particular people.

Everything else is incidental. yes. the Chinese, if they had more balls CAN choose their own leader. But they are spineless like most people on earth.

I consider Spielberg position of leaving the production team because of the Darfur issue as a big, utter lie. There must be another hidden reason which justify better his resignment. Not only China, but no nation have the right to meddle in other countries issues, is THEIR OWN problem (and similar excuses like this were used by USA in Moscow 80 and the Soviet Union in Los Angeles 84 on their boycots).

I'm not against Africa, but like other user said previously, why we should keeping helping a continent which has not helped itself? Just look all the civil wars and goverments which have lasted for more than 20 years, which are disguised dictatorships (Zimbabwe, Angola, Egypt...), as well for the rage they have between themselves, fighting like wild dogs (specially with the ethnicities. Any help we could give them, it would be destroyed by their own foolishness over and over again.

If you have this point of view why should the Olympics be held in Beijing?

Since Beijing 2008 is pure propaganda for the Chinese Communist Party

That's really a funny saying. Propaganda for CCP? I hope IOC like this saying.

haha~what about Sydney,Salt Lake, Athens and London?

Every host city has its won strong points in many different fields, and also has its won weak point.

Different systerms give distinct Olympics.

Many people believe that what's in his mind is really the top one in this world. Why don't you have a good-tempered view to this world?

many westerners believe theirs is the best,and the different are all wrong.

Not one could make sure his view is correct and perfect.

I'm not against Africa, but like other user said previously, why we should keeping helping a continent which has not helped itself? Just look all the civil wars and goverments which have lasted for more than 20 years, which are disguised dictatorships (Zimbabwe, Angola, Egypt...), as well for the rage they have between themselves, fighting like wild dogs (specially with the ethnicities. Any help we could give them, it would be destroyed by their own foolishness over and over again.

You have hit the nail on the head.This is what Spielberg smells is cooking is that China is fueling the war through arms sales to Sudan. The Arms are getting into the hands of those oppressing others -- I hope that clears you up on why should we help a continent that has not helped itself from this context on Sudan.

Actually, many countries in Africa are trying their best to get up but you seem to forget how the world really think and deal with Africa progress. And, the face of Chinese in Africa is almost proving something can be done to help Africa to help itself. That shouldn't be the way to start of which maybe Spielberg has over-reacted here. From many people this migh look like stinking-thinking but it's also the most avalaible chance for him which must be utilized quickly as it last to acheive some important aim.

Magic, you got it all turned around. The Games are not awarded or put on for the PLEASURE of the host people. They went for it; it was given to them -- therefore they have to support it.

The Games (much as I disagree with it) are for the athletes AND for the people of the world -- not ONE particular people.

Yes, but the host city itself is also showcased to the world. It's a massive cultural occasion and festival for the host city. Otherwise why don't you just have the games on a small island of no fixed abode in the middle of the Pacific.

yes. the Chinese, if they had more balls CAN choose their own leader. But they are spineless like most people on earth.

Well I wouldn't call those who protested during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 particularly spineless. Refresh une memory .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiananmen_Squ...rotests_of_1989 and http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8633937813183253768

1. Yes, but the host city itself is also showcased to the world. It's a massive cultural occasion and festival for the host city.

2. Otherwise why don't you just have the games on a small island of no fixed abode in the middle of the Pacific.

3. Well I wouldn't call those who protested during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 particularly spineless. Refresh une memory ..

1. Well, of course. :rolleyes:

2. Because no one will foot the bill; because there are no hotels, facilities, airports, nightclubs in a small atoll in the Pacific; because there will be no population to support putting on the Games. THe IOC needs sucker cities and countries to put on their shows.

3. Well, a few hundred out of 1.2 billion, I'd still call that spineless. Even 500,000 speaking out against the Commies in Beijing would be enough to turn them out.

Edited by baron-pierreIV