Rcmp Want More Money For Olympic Security

Not surprised, i would be shocked if they went ahead with only spending CAN$175 million on security when Torino spent US$250 million, Salt Lake US$300 million, Athens US$1.2 billion, and London is planning to spend US$1.6 billion.

Glad to hear that the RCMP is asking for more money....these Games need be safe. If terrorists hit these Games, it'd forever scar this city and all these years of bidding and planning and billions poured into this event would have been a complete waste.

Vanoc CEO unaware RCMP want more money

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun

Published: Thursday, July 26, 2007

Vanoc CEO John Furlong said today he wasn't aware that the RCMP is asking for more money for the 2010 Olympic security budget but is confident that the Games will be secure.

Furlong said the RCMP has yet to finish a business plan that will lay out the true costs of providing security, noting that Vanoc is not responsible for the plan and that any extra costs won't come out of Vanoc's budget.

"We are not aware that there is a new ask for more money," he said. "The budget is what it is and we've always known since we came home from (winning the bid in) Prague they've continued to look at it and assess and manage and look at everything. All I can tell you is that we are collaborating with them to make it as easy as possible to allow them to do their work and secure the venues."

The CBC reported today it obtained documents from the RCMP admitting that a $175 million security budget supplied by the federal and provincial governments is not enough.

For years the RCMP has deflected reporters' questions about the adequacy of its security budget, especially in light of pressures that increased Vanoc's construction budget from $470 million to $580 million.

Furlong said Vanoc isn't privy to the RCMP budget although it works with the force on planning.

"They are doing their own business planning and at some point we will know what is in that plan and what they have to do and if they are going to make an ask for more funds we will know it," he said.

"The budget that was done at that time was based on their best estimate of what it would cost back then (in 2002 when the bid and security budgets were first drafted)."

Furlong said the RCMP never said in the intervening years that their budget, which is independent of Vanoc's, was inadequate.

"No, they didn't. What they have done is told us they are doing their work."

Mr. X:

The real story here, and the one you didn't comment on, is that the RCMP (and most likely VANOC) have been hiding this from the public -- on purpose.

So once again, the Olympic Circus will suck up more money than it should -- money that it wasn't supposed to suck-up, and money that could be put into something much more useful. Like education, health, etc.

And to this day there isn't one credible study that shows that ANY previous Olympic host has seen any financial benefit from being a host, once the total true costs of staging the Games is included.

Not surprised, i would be shocked if they went ahead with only spending CAN$175 million on security when Torino spent US$250 million, Salt Lake US$300 million, Athens US$1.2 billion, and London is planning to spend US$1.6 billion.

Glad to hear that the RCMP is asking for more money....these Games need be safe. If terrorists hit these Games, it'd forever scar this city and all these years of bidding and planning and billions poured into this event would have been a complete waste.

Mr. X:

The real story here, and the one you didn't comment on, is that the RCMP (and most likely VANOC) have been hiding this from the public -- on purpose.

So once again, the Olympic Circus will suck up more money than it should -- money that it wasn't supposed to suck-up, and money that could be put into something much more useful. Like education, health, etc.

And to this day there isn't one credible study that shows that ANY previous Olympic host has seen any financial benefit from being a host, once the total true costs of staging the Games is included.

Edited by juan antonio

^ nice to see you back juan.

i do agree that the RCMP and VANOC has been hiding the real figure, which i'd imagine would be at least CAN$300 million.

The 2010 Games are projected to produce $2-3 billion in incremental tax revenues for the federal and provincial governments and inject billions into the B.C. economy, which is quite evident right now. We already spend billions and billions on health and education......which is all we Canadians really spend on these days.....CAN$300 million couldn't even keep the B.C. healthcare system running for three weeks.

Vancouver 2010 is one of the most well-organized Games at this point of the game. TV rights revenues for VANOC and IOC international sponsorships are up by more than 60% and VANOC's domestic sponsorship program is set to reach $800 million in revenues by 2010 which is almost a 100% increase in the domestic sponsorship projections the bid corporation made.

Not only that but never ever have venues been completed so early - it's an Olympic record, we even beat Beijing. All but three venues will be completed by December 2007; while the oval, secondary ice hockey facility, practice facilities, and curling venue will be completed in fall 2008.

VANOC has a budget of $2.21 billion (operating cost + venues). Including venues, security and some other facility costs, all levels of government would've contributed about $1.5 billion to the 2010 Games. Of VANOC's $2.21 billion budget, about $650 million are from the public.

As well, normally, OCOG's would be up in the hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of millions overbudget and would be asking governments for hundreds of millions (if not billions) in more funding......at this point of organizing the Games: Athens went into the billions in overruns, Torino went into the hundreds and hundreds of millions, and two years into being chosen to host London's budget has gone from $4 billion to $16 billion.

....nuff said, Vancouver 2010 [so far] has been a huge success.

• 4 weeks later...
The real story here, and the one you didn't comment on, is that the RCMP (and most likely VANOC) have been hiding this from the public -- on purpose

YES, juan antonio that IS the real story. That is the modus operandi for Vanoc to hide the truth at any cost, from the public, the taxpayers who are being bilked on these 'Games' for a circle of a few corporate players. Of course the security budget was low balled to keep the Bid costs down as part of the smoke & mirrors by Vanoc. They are just trying to use the RCMP as a scapegoat - of course they knew better than initial figure they swore by. The key players & their pals are a tight circle of linkages into connected to Campbell & Co. & desperate people do desperate things.

I was speaking with a security expert & he projects the security budget to be closer to 1 Billion.

So my friends . . . . . what else has Vanoc covered up????

Well, take a look at the story re: the Callaghan Valley Nordic scandal that BIV broke last week. Shocking! Connect the dots: read the "players" linked to the derailment of the Powder Mountain Resort & now look where the govt. lawyer, land bureaucrats & the former Premier's Deputy all landed:: Vanoc - give me a break!!This looks like one scandal that will not go away. When the Commercial Crime are willing to readily confirm they are actively reviewing "new evidence" this scandal is HOT.

As for Mr. X . . . why do I get the feeling that he is a Vanoc hired PR dude :rolleyes: along with a few others on this site. His advocacy is a little too over the top. After all if the BC Govt. hired young Libs on media contracts exposed in the pre-trial evidence of the Raid on the Leg - is it a leap to think they wouldn't do with their kissing cousin Vanoc??? Here's the link to the excellent site re: the Raid on the Leg: http://bctrialofbasi-virk.blogspot.com/

Be very worried people - 2010 is British Columbians worst nightmare - a 'legacy' that our children's children will be mired in debt thanks to the GAMES of Vanoc.

I was speaking with a security expert & he projects the security budget to be closer to 1 Billion.

$1 billion? Perhaps......if there's a major terrorist attack in the coming years or if we get attacked at home. Even Torino didn't have have to spend that much, $290 million. With the current political situation, Vancouver is probably looking at $300-400 million at the most.

As for Mr. X . . . why do I get the feeling that he is a Vanoc hired PR dude rolleyes.gif along with a few others on this site. His advocacy is a little too over the top.

Yes....and you sound like David Cunningham.

I have criticized these Games and VANOC but I don't criticize without looking at the full picture or the facts.

Be very worried people - 2010 is British Columbians worst nightmare - a 'legacy' that our children's children will be mired in debt thanks to the GAMES of Vanoc.

Debt? We've hit billions in provincial surpluses every year recently.....this year's will be nearly $4 billion. We can afford these Games, and besides that, we're not even close to the point of debt with the 2010 Olympics.

The only reason why Montreal went in "debt" was because its $110 million Olympic Stadium ballooned to a $2 billion money hole......and convert that into 1970's dollars if you will. Add in the increase in Olympic security costs after the Munich 1972 terrorist attacks.