9th Eyof - Belgrade 2007

The 9th Summer European Youth Olympic Festival (EYOF) - created by Rogge in 1991 when he was the EOC president - taking place, this year, in Belgrade, Serbia, were officially opened yesterday during the opening ceremony at the Beogradska Arena. The 48 EOC member countries participate sending a total of 3,500 athletes (I guess... their website is offline <_< )

From what I've been reading on the Portuguese news, apart from an unbearable heat-wave (up to 50º C/122º F!!!) is hovering Belgrade that doesn't create the best conditions for training and competition, the Serbian organization isn't helping either. They've been rationing food and especially water, supplying only 1.5 litres (0.4 gallons!!!) per athlete on each training session :blink:

But the worst seems to be accommodation. The village rooms are old, small and lack A/C (imagine this during a heat-wave!) and have special visitors, such as cockroaches and ticks :o:ph34r: How can they get their rest properly? Adding to all this, there is no recreation spaces (videogames, etc.) for people that are still on their teens.

I wonder how the EOC could let this pass unchecked. "It's just kids, so no worries"? :huh:

Anyway, I hope the athletes get the best results they can out of these conditions.

Yeah, it's very hot on the Balkan peninsula lately, here in Bulgaria we break temperature-records every day.

If your information about the accomodation is right, that's very bad news for the Olympic bidding hopes of Belgrade. I've heard the serbian media was reporting on a possible 2020 Summer bid. They've already tried for 1992 and 1996, both very solid bids.

Archived