Fifa 2007 Women's World Cup

Tough one to call this but I have a feeling Germany will just sneak it.

I hope you are right. Keep the thumbs up. But i think the majority of non-Germans is supporting Brazil after their brilliant match in the semi. The title would mean much more for the Brazilian players, the Brazilian society and the state of women football in Brazil as for the Germans.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, after the first half, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Brazil could add the women's title to its long row of World Cup titles. This is, without a doubt, the toughest opponent Germany had to face during this tournament. I just hope that Germany does it the same way as against Norway: A weak first half, and a much better second one. Go, girls, go!

Final score -> Germany: 2 - Brazil: zero

Your FIFA 2007 Women's World Cup winner:

gm-lgflag.gif

Germany defends their FIFA Women's Championship from USA 2003. Makes one wonder if Germany will win the bid for the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup now.

As for their histories in this tournament before today, here they are.

Brazil:

The only time this team was in the final four was at USA 1999, when it placed third then.

GERMANY:

1. Fourth place at China 1991

2. Runners-up at Sweden 1995

3. Winners at USA 2003

And you didn't to believe it beforehand, Goethe! OK, I wasn't absolutely optimistic, too -- but somehow the women have repeated (respectively surpassed) what the men achieved last year: After a desastrous performance in the winter before the World Cup, they've turned everything around and improved their performance drastically in the run-up to and during the World Cup itself. And what about that incredible goalkeeper, huh? Jens Lehmann has found his female counterpiece!

I'm still totally shaken by that marvellous victory -- and looking forward to tomorrow night (1925 CET) when the team is expected at Frankfurt's Römer square for the big victory ceremony.

What a great tournament. Well organized, a standard of play that keeps getting better, and refereeing that was very competent (with few exceptions). Congratulations to Germany, Cheers for Brazil, and a commendation to all the other teams and players who have contributed to this great event.

It's always sad to see a tournament come to an end, but its only 250 days to Euro 2008.

And you didn't to believe it beforehand, Goethe! OK, I wasn't absolutely optimistic, too -- but somehow the women have repeated (respectively surpassed) what the men achieved last year: After a desastrous performance in the winter before the World Cup, they've turned everything around and improved their performance drastically in the run-up to and during the World Cup itself. And what about that incredible goalkeeper, huh? Jens Lehmann has found his female counterpiece!

I'm still totally shaken by that marvellous victory -- and looking forward to tomorrow night (1925 CET) when the team is expected at Frankfurt's Römer square for the big victory ceremony.

Yes i am always a little bit pessimistic. I am very impressed, and still can´t believe it. Well done!!!

Wow... Congratulations for Germany ;)

And I'm a little sad for Brazil... I can't believe how bad are South America in female football compared to the males. Brazil is the only exception but they can't still win a tournament. I hope this will change next year when Chile will host the U-20 Women's World Cup.

Fifa's premier events have been held in Asia each once and each time it was Germany vs. Brazil and the winner was by the same score 2-0. Different result though and mind you I think the Germans would be happy to switch titles with the Brazilians.

Fifa's premier events have been held in Asia each once and each time it was Germany vs. Brazil and the winner was by the same score 2-0. Different result though and mind you I think the Germans would be happy to switch titles with the Brazilians.

No, that's really not the case. In 2002, we simply wouldn't have deserved the title as World Champion. It was a miracle already that we reached the final -- after having played not very attractively and won only narrowly (1-0) in all previous matches of the final round. And just imagine the pressure which would have been put on the German team if they had had to host the home World Cup as current World Champion! I think it was absolutely correct that it all turned out this way.

Archived