Fifa 2007 Women's World Cup

USA will have an easy match against England.

I heard the Americans hadn't been particularly impressive so far. Of course, this is no guarantee of what they may do later in the tournament, but the impression I was getting from what I've been reading is that England shouldn't feel it is an entirely hopeless cause on Saturday.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FIFA has altered the schedule due to Typhoon Wipha which at last check was headed for Shanghai. Canada vs Australia and China vs. New Zealand will now be played Wednesday and Norway vs Ghana and Brazil vs Denmark will be played Thursday which was originally going to be an off day. It does affect the groups in that the final matches will not be played simultaneously, but the WWC hasn't necessarily done that in recent editions.

Two more matches tomorrow and I need to get my eyes checked. It seems that the last two groups are going to be finished one match at a time.

- Australia vs. Canada @ Chengdu (5:00pm)

- CHINA vs. New Zealand @ Tianjin (8:00pm)

(Note: I must have said it wrong in another post, when it comes to the knock-off stage.)

Sorry to all Chinese forum members who show good will -- but I can't fight the feeling that China is the wrong place for major sports competitions. Now the World Cup correspondent of German news magazine "Der Spiegel" reports that the journalists in the Hangzhou hotel "Sunny" were spied in a very obvious manner.

There's only a German version of the text but I'll translate it for you.

Now there are the first scandals. Or are they little scandals?

The scene on the corridors of the Hangzhou hotel Sunny, which is an official hotel for the members of the media, was rather bustling recently. Whenever journalists left or entered their rooms, it was noted meticulously by young fellows. The procedure was as follows: The fellows either chased the journalists and strolled inconspiculously on when the journalists reached their doors. Or they asked the journalists directly at the elevator: "Your room number?" Those activities would have lived up to every spy movie parody.

At the same time, the activities raised, of course, the suspicion that they served a surveillance order from "above" -- just as the presence of the security personnel and the police contingent in and around the hotel. FIFA knew nothing about it. The Chinese World Cup organisers didn't either. Initially, the hotel direction was innocent, too -- but then, it affirmed that it accounted for the monitoring. Nevertheless, it said, it was not about surveillance, but about securing the journalists' safety. Oh sure.

Possibly -- and this should be consoling for the freedom of press -- such an obvious and amateurish kind of surveillance which only produces data junk is a rather small problem. Contrary to a surveillance about which nobody complains. Because nobody notices it.

I'm really sick about that such a misanthropic regime may host so many top-class sports events -- events which actually celebrate what unites all people around the world. :angry:

U mean knock-OUT stage. Knock-OFF means a counterfeit copy. ;)

Thanks, baron, for correcting me. Never mind that we Canadian and American consumers had to deal with lately, with Chinese goods being imported from there. Well, it looks like that the matches for today is going to be held tomorrow instead. So, the schedule is going to be like this, with a repeat from before.

- Norway vs. Ghana @ Hangzhou (5:00pm)

- Australia vs. Canada @ Chengdu (5:00pm)

- CHINA vs. New Zealand @ Tianjin (8:00pm)

- Brazil vs. Denmark @ Hangzhou (8:00pm)

Of course, these 4 matches will complete the GROUP STAGES of China 2007. Which teams will move on to the quarterfinals?

Two of the 4 matches have been completed so far. Here are the results.

Norway: 7 - Ghana: 2

no-lgflag.gif

One tie score.

Australia: 2 - Canada: 2

With Group C matches now complete, both NORWAY and AUSTRALIA move on to the quarterfinals.

as-lgflag.gif

YAY - Australia through!!!

The girls were great!

What an Achievement - I am so happy tonight

Great work australia. New Zealand has just gone down 2-0 to china. New Zealand has improved throughout the tournament! Well done

Now two of the semifinalists from the last Women's World Cup are out. More disappointingly for Sweden, they got some of the best players in the world in Hanna Ljungburg and Victoria Svensson, both are on the wrong side of 30. I feel bad for them. Hopefully they will be back for Beijing 2008. I feel bad for Canada. There will be a lot of question soon after their return home.

Great job, Matildas! I hope you go farther than the Socceroos unfortunately did last year--they deserved to go to the semis in Germany were it not for the Dirty, Rotten, Cheating, Undeserving, Corrupt, Scandal Scum Squad who slept their way to the top and MUST be banned until 2013 and fined heavily for it with their records and undeserved title stripped. Anyway, they were a major tournament away, and this was it! :)

As for USA and Germany, both teams are into their transitional mode and you see that reflected in their play.

Great job SWANZ in your experience WWC, you need more time in international play.

Horrible, horrible ending of the tournament for Canada. Talk about a heart breaker, gaining the lead whit about 5 minutes left all to lose it in injury time...

Anyway, anyone know which is the third European team that made it to Beijing? Germany and Norway are qualified, but who of Sweden and Denmark will also be in China next year?

Anyway, anyone know which is the third European team that made it to Beijing? Germany and Norway are qualified, but who of Sweden and Denmark will also be in China next year?

I suppose it's Sweden -- because in the group matches, it has gained one point more (4) than Denmark (3).

The final two matches of the group stage results are here.

China: 2 - New Zealand: zero

ch-lgflag.gif

Brazil: 1 - Denmark: zero

br-lgflag.gif

As such, both these winners here move on to the quarterfinals.

So, it is all set at this stage of this World Cup. This is the set up for these dates and locations for the quarterfinal matches.

September 22nd:

- Germany vs. North Korea @ Wuhan (5:00pm)

- USA vs. England @ Tianjin (8:00pm)

September 23rd:

- CHINA vs. Norway @ Wuhan (5:00pm)

- Brazil vs. Australia @ Tianjin (8:00pm)

All times indicated are in China Standard Time.

I know who should get it.

Ya, really... Great Britain's obviously deserves it, but well, it seams UEFA thinks otherwise...

Speaking of UEFA, they have decided that Europe's final berth for the 2008 Olympics will go to Sweden.

Logically it should be GB's place, but since when did logic come in to these things? We have earned the right. We should be given the opportunity.

They will change their tune next World Cup! We will have our day! On another note, I was disappointed for Canada. I so wanted them to go through... Gutted :(

Germany has advanced to the semi-final after beating North Korea 3-0. This result really does no justice to performance of the North Koreans -- they were really tough opponents and even had many dangerous scoring opportunities but the German defence was always lucky to snatch or kick the ball away (at least in the very last moment).

Now, Germany will face either Norway or China in Tianjin on Wednesday.

Archived