U-19 European Football Championship

While the U-20 WC in Canada is still going on, the U-19 EC starts in austria tomorrow.

The qualified teams: Austria (hosts), Greece, Portugal, Spain (holders), France, Germany, Serbia and Russia

Group A: Austria, Greece, Portugal and Spain

Group B: France, Germany, Serbia and Russia

The first matches will be:

Greece - Portugal @ Linz (17:15)

Germany - Russia @ Steyr (18:00)

France - Serbia @ Ried/Innkreis (18:00)

Austria - Spain @ Linz (20:00)

(listed in local time)

The venues

venue.jpg

more infos at the hompage of the U-19 EC

Wait, are you telling me that Spain has won sometime an international football competition, that our national team has actually become first at some kind of international tournament? football tournament?

Wow, that's a surprise, it's like we don't suck that much at football! :lol:

Why are UEFA celebrating the European U-19 Cup at the same time than the U-20 World Cup? OK, they are two different "ages"... but UEFA don't have "U-20" teams, only U19 (even the qualification for the U20 WC is the U19 Cup)...

In fact, two players of the Austrian team in the U20 WC meet the requirements for the U-19 European tournament... seven of the eliminated Spanish team (including Adrián López, the goalscorer of the WC at the moment) and three of Portugal.

Wait, are you telling me that Spain has won sometime an international football competition, that our national team has actually become first at some kind of international tournament? football tournament?

Wow, that's a surprise, it's like we don't suck that much at football! :lol:

LOL! You don't know how GOOD your youth teams are?

Under-21: 2 European titles (1986, 1998)

Under-20: 1 World Cup title (1999)

Under-19: 4 European titles (1995, 2002, 2004, 2006)

Under-17: 6 European titles (1986, 1988, 1991, 1997, 1999, 2001); 2 World Cup runner-up places

Why are UEFA celebrating the European U-19 Cup at the same time than the U-20 World Cup? OK, they are two different "ages"... but UEFA don't have "U-20" teams, only U19 (even the qualification for the U20 WC is the U19 Cup)...

In fact, two players of the Austrian team in the U20 WC meet the requirements for the U-19 European tournament... seven of the eliminated Spanish team (including Adrián López, the goalscorer of the WC at the moment) and three of Portugal.

This tournament is organized by UEFA on a yearly basis. Every two years it acts as the U-20 World Cup qualifying tournament. So yes, many players in Canada could still play this tournament...

This tournament is organized by UEFA on a yearly basis. Every two years it acts as the U-20 World Cup qualifying tournament. So yes, many players in Canada could still play this tournament...

I know that... the point is play the Cup at the same time of the World Cup... they couldn't wait one week at least?

LOL! You don't know how GOOD your youth teams are?

Under-21: 2 European titles (1986, 1998)

Under-20: 1 World Cup title (1999)

Under-19: 4 European titles (1995, 2002, 2004, 2006)

Under-17: 6 European titles (1986, 1988, 1991, 1997, 1999, 2001); 2 World Cup runner-up places

Shamefully, those victories have hardly got media coverage here.

Oh well, something must happen to the players after they turn 21, because they never get nowhere.

Oh well, something must happen to the players after they turn 21, because they never get nowhere.

what media do you read??? those victories are know for all the spanish supporters...and you forget one olympic gold medal (Barcelona 92) and two silvers (Anvers 1920 and Sydney 2000),and,of course,one European title (Madrid 64)...

what media do you read??? those victories are know for all the spanish supporters...and you forget one olympic gold medal (Barcelona 92) and two silvers (Anvers 1920 and Sydney 2000),and,of course,one European title (Madrid 64)...

Please, tell me Spanish media are in general minimally impartial! :lol:

Many sports disciplines in which we perform well but aren't that popular hardly get any coverage in comparison with football (and with football I mean the Liga, which keeps hoarding almost the 90% of the sports time these days, even if the League finished weeks ago!).

It's sad to know that when we achieve something important in other sports, the information about it is limited to a little mention at the end of the news.

I'm refering to general media here, the situation should be different if you stick to specialized media such as As, Marca, Teledeporte, Eurosport and so.

Quiero decirte que OJALÁ realmente la gente supiera de esas buenas actuaciones de España en otras disciplinas deportivas, pero la realidad creo que es otra: ganamos nosecuántos títulos en nosecuántos deportes, pero de lo único de lo que se sigue hablando es del colín que no nos comemos en los Mundiales de fútbol o de los grandes equipos de la liga.

Creo que es injusto para muchos deportistas, como estos chicos del fútbol U-loquesea, que ganan muchos títulos y no obtienen tanto reconocimiento como deberían.

Es mi humilde opinión :)

I know that... the point is play the Cup at the same time of the World Cup... they couldn't wait one week at least?

What difference would a week make? Those players would return tired and in no way prepared (they missed the pre-tournament trainings) to enter another competition. But I agree that a calendar compromise should be arranged in years where there's the U-20 World Cup. The same thing happened when the U-21 European Cup was hosted in senior European and World Cup tournaments, giving many coaches a headache.

I find it weird that at least the 1999 World Youth Cup victory wasn't noticed... I remember Casillas in that team.

Please, tell me Spanish media are in general minimally impartial! :lol:

Many sports disciplines in which we perform well but aren't that popular hardly get any coverage in comparison with football (and with football I mean the Liga, which keeps hoarding almost the 90% of the sports time these days, even if the League finished weeks ago!).

It's sad to know that when we achieve something important in other sports, the information about it is limited to a little mention at the end of the news.

I'm refering to general media here, the situation should be different if you stick to specialized media such as As, Marca, Teledeporte, Eurosport and so.

Ah, but that happens also here. Football always gets more television time and newspaper frontpages, even if for petty meaningless things than worthy triumphs and achievements in other less-supported sports. :(

the last match for today is over: Spain wins against Austria 2:0 <_<

the summary of todays matches:

GRE - POR: 1:0

GER - RUS: 3:2

FRA - SRB: 5:2

AUT - ESP: 0:2

The table:

Group A Pld Pts

Spain 1 3

Greece 1 3

Portugal 1 0

Austria 1 0

Group B Pld Pts

France 1 3

Germa. 1 3

Russia 1 0

Serbia 1 0

Quiero decirte que OJALÁ realmente la gente supiera de esas buenas actuaciones de España en otras disciplinas deportivas, pero la realidad creo que es otra: ganamos nosecuántos títulos en nosecuántos deportes, pero de lo único de lo que se sigue hablando es del colín que no nos comemos en los Mundiales de fútbol o de los grandes equipos de la liga.

Creo que es injusto para muchos deportistas, como estos chicos del fútbol U-loquesea, que ganan muchos títulos y no obtienen tanto reconocimiento como deberían.

Es mi humilde opinión :)

estoy bastante de acuerdo,la prensa deportiva española está obsesionada con el maldito fútbol y ningunea al resto de deportes...pero tampoco podemos decir que no sabemos los títulos que tenemos en fútbol....

This Summer is being truly fantastic for Portugal's youth national teams. Bah!

Inded... Lets see: missing Beijing on penalty kicks, being disgraced in the quarter-final of the U20 World Cup (altought it was funny if you don't support Portugal...) and now losing to Greece in the UEFA U-19 Championships... Ya, I understand why you are frustrated...

tomorrows matches:

Russia - Serbia @ Pasching (17:15)

the iberian duel: Spain - Portugal @ Steyr (18:00)

Austria - Greece @ Pasching (20:00)

Germany - France @ Ried/Innkreis (20:00)

good luck to all teams (espially to Austria :P )

Inded... Lets see: missing Beijing on penalty kicks, being disgraced in the quarter-final of the U20 World Cup (altought it was funny if you don't support Portugal...) and now losing to Greece in the UEFA U-19 Championships... Ya, I understand why you are frustrated...

Yeah, don't remind me <_< They play good qualification rounds and then blow it in the final tournaments. Maybe it's a negative phase. Meanwhile the U-21 and U-20 coach (the same) is in risk of being fired - I wonder why :rolleyes: I mean, he only won 1 out of 8 games in these past two competitions (actually, 2 games but he was not on the bench against Israel).

tomorrows matches:

the iberian duel: Spain - Portugal @ Steyr (18:00)

Ha! Lost to Greece and expect to defeat the holders? Dream on. One more team going back home empty-handed.

Archived