China WILL top the medal standings in 2008

rjmac

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Boy, just imagine what the opening ceremony is going to be like, when the likes of Chinese Taipei enters the stadium. If that soccer final match incident is any indication, which was between Japan and China, it could get ugly.

Boy, just imagine what the opening ceremony is going to be like, when the likes of Chinese Taipei enters the stadium. If that soccer final match incident is any indication, which was between Japan and China, it could get ugly.

It's sure that it will be hard for chinese gouvernment to control olympic games, they can do it with local media and TV but not with world media and TV... Demonstrations against Japan in China were already badly seen by the world (except maybe few countries like korea), so imagine...

The IOC will not tolerate host China condoning an unfriendly reception towards other countries.  As for those demonstrations v. Japan, those could not have happened w/o Beijing's consent.  They could have as easily been dispersed like the farmers' demo, which was spontaneous; but the authorities stood on the sidelines until things got out of hand.  Beijing wanted to give Japan a piece of its mind, and those 'permitted' demos was the way to do it.  

It didn't fool me one bit; and I'm sure it won't fool the IOC.  After all, they don't have wily old Falangists, ex-rulers, seasoned diplomats in their ranks for nothing.

The Chinese have too much to lose by being bad hosts - the people will be very cordial to ALL nations including Ch. Taipei, Korea, Japan, the US, etc... - you don't want to spend $20 billion to impress the world during the Games to have it backfire by a few rowdy people in the stands.   The Chinese military would never let that happen!

It's sure that it will be hard for chinese gouvernment to control olympic games, they can do it with local media and TV but not with world media and TV... Demonstrations against Japan in China were already badly seen by the world (except maybe few countries like korea), so imagine...

Do you think Japan is a friendly and peace country ?? Hum...  Of course it isn't.

Interesting snippet in Sydney's Daily Telegraph (tablod):

Chinese to cheer for Russia, not USA

China and Russia have decalreed a new Cold War against the US on the Olympic battle field at the Beijing Games in 2008.

The US topped the unofficial medals table last year in Athens, but the accord means even Chinese spectators will be instructed to cheer for Russians rather than Americans.

The heads of the Chinese and Russian Olympic Committees formed a pact last weeek, according to the Russian daily Izvestia.

"The Chinese hope that we will take some of the medals in sports that are traditionally considered American, such as swimming and track andd field," Russsian Olympic Committee president Leonid Tyagachev said.

"The speak openly about it: We cannot give it to the U.S."

I wonder if we'ree going to see some openly ugly booing and cheering against succh teams as the US and Japan in Beijing?

wow (and I am responding to your article).....sounds like a big posisble set-up scandal in the making....truely not the Olympic Spirit to have....I don't know over the past few months I am really beginning to wonder shoudl Bejing really be hosting 2008?

i have tought the same..maybe 2008 should have been Toronto or Paris.

I agree, oh well......cold war II ........the year is 2035 , china

breaks up like its soviet counterparts in 1991 . Another boycott may ocour in 2008 like moscow in 1980, Paris should won the 2008 games  :)  :)

Do you think Japan is a friendly and peace country ?? Hum...  Of course it isn't.

It is a peace country , it just you china people cannot forgive

japan over the war  ??? And you china people are jelouse of

Japan beating China in the asian cup 3-1  :)  :)  :)

Gamebiddders , I am stating a fact  :)

USA offered nuclear weapons and technologies to Japan, they refused it... do you really think a country not friendly and peaceful would do the same ? ... I think japanese books will say what really happened in China during world war 2 when chinese books will stop to be nationalists.

USA offered nuclear weapons and technologies to Japan, they refused it... do you really think a country not friendly and peaceful would do the same ? ... I think japanese books will say what really happened in China during world war 2 when chinese books will stop to be nationalists.

This day is far far far away.

:laughlong:

你是一个典型的受西方媒体反华思想的毒害者!。。。。。。

About the medal standing of China Olympic team, i think it will be the top.

Because Beijing is the host city,and in Athens 2004,China got the second place in the medal list.Look at the South Korea Team in 1988 Seoul Olympic Games,the 4th place, really a good medal standing,right?

Now China Olympic Teams do every thing for 2008.That's a good thing.

But what i worry about is after 2008. i mean China will fall in 2012 even 2016 Olympics.Because many famouse and good athletes will leave national team.And many young  athletes are still not good enough for the Olympics.It just like the bamboo after flowering...not enough energy after 2008.

This day is far far far away.

:laughlong:

The day is not far far away, i guess you will see it before you pass away! :ghostface:

I don't think China will top the medal list. US is still too strong in sport, while China is still weak in athletic events, which generates a lot of medals.

Just let the athletes compete! And cheers to all winners whether who they are!

"ONE WORLD ONE DREAM"

I don't think China will top the medal list. US is still too strong in sport, while China is still weak in athletic events, which generates a lot of medals.

Just let the athletes compete! And cheers to all winners whether who they are!

"ONE WORLD ONE DREAM"

Swimming, too. In fact, it will be interesting on how the Chinese team will do in international competitions for this sport toward Beijing 2008.

• 2 weeks later...

I think both, the USA and China, have their strong and popular sports where a flood of medals will be won. USA in athletics, aquatics, gymnastics (women) and a few team sports  ...  China in table tennis, platform diving, gymnastics, shooting, some fighting sports, ... but you can truely watch Chinese athletes becoming more and more successful in sports where their country has never been good at before ... e.g. women's rowing !

I believe it'll be a tough race with USA finally 1st, CHN 2nd. In my opinion RUS isn't a hard opponent for the two, the Russians should better watch out not to be overtaken by AUS or GER :D

Besides, it will be interesting on how Canada will do in Beijing 2008

Well, as sad as it sounds ... it'll be great for CAN to rank among the first 20 nations in Beijing again ... Atlanta, Sydney and Athens were dissapointing results in comparison to Barcelona where 6 or 7 golds were won. I think CAN will prepare its winter athletes to set a Canadian medal record in Vancouver 2010 ... summer sports will have minor priority for the next years.

Archived