China WILL top the medal standings in 2008

rjmac

EUROPE THE MOTHERLAND OF AMERICA'S CUP YES...

Well, yeah, except it's called the America's Cup,  cretin!!   :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Cup

The history started in 1851 whereas the British Empire prepared the World Fair of London.

The Royal Yacht Squadron of Cowes, then sure of its domination, organize around the island of Wight a Cut open to the Yacht Clubs of

the whole world.

Crétin toi même !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh, Mekky.  The Cup was originally called the "One Hundred Sovereign/(or Guineas) Cup" originally -- NOT the one you claim.   But that was only for like 40 seconds -- until the New York Yacht Club boat, America, bested the Brits.  It's been called the "America's Cup" ever since.  It's only known by the old name if you take the time to dig up the little passe info.  But NOBODY refers to it as the One Hundred Guineas Cup.  That name was gone in a New York minute.  :wwww:

Brief history ot the "America's Cup' award and race

History

The Cup is an ornate silver bottomless ewer, crafted in 1848 by Garrards of London. The trophy is inscribed with names of the yachts that competed in the regatta's matches. Bases matching the silver cup were added in 1958 and in 2003 to accomodate more names. The cup is one of three or six that were made as off-the-shelf trophies. A member of the Royal Yacht Squadron bought one for the Royal Yacht Squadron's 1851 Annual Regatta around the Isle of Wight. It was originally known by the British as the One Hundred Sovereign Cup and as the One Hundred Guineas Cup, in error, by the American syndicate that won it.

The regatta's origins date back to August 22, 1851 when the 30.86 m schooner-yacht America owned by a syndicate that represented the New York Yacht Club, raced 15 yachts representing the Royal Yacht Squadron around the Isle of Wight. America won by 20 minutes. The syndicate which owned the America donated the Cup through a Deed of Gift to the New York Yacht Club on July 8, 1857. The trophy would be held in trust as a 'challenge' trophy to promote friendly competition between nations.

Stung by this blow to contemporary perception of invincible British sea power, a succession of British syndicates attempted to win back the cup. The New York Yacht Club remained unbeaten for 25 challenges over 113 years, the longest winning streak in the history of sport. The matches were held in the vicinity of New York City from 1870 to 1920; then the races were sailed off Newport, Rhode Island for the rest of the NYYC's reign, from 1930 to 1983.

OK.  Go China.   :rolleyes:

You'd batter you your own country. China doesn't need your support.

From your words in GB, I always think you are a big mouth,aren't you ??

:oo:

Oh......just shut your pipe hole . Like just because you are going to world 's #1 in everything does not you can boss people around  :angry:  :rock:

Lol...

I just think baron-pierreIV always says useless and wrong talks on China. But he always likes saying and saying...  

On the other hand, there is no your business, yes ?

:laughlong:

OK.  Go China.   :rolleyes:

You'd batter you your own country. China doesn't need your support.

From your words in GB, I always think you are a big mouth,aren't you ??

:oo:

Oh......just shut your pipe hole . Like just because you are going to world 's #1 in everything does not you can boss people around  :angry:  :rock:

Lol...

I just think baron-pierreIV always says useless and wrong talks on China. But he always likes saying and saying...  

On the other hand, there is no your business, yes ?

:laughlong:

??Utter gibberish, Liu Tan??  

Are you and Mekky trading "Shing-lish" lessons?

nzolympic> british touch in alinghi boat ?... ahahha

No Mekky New Zealand, not britian, N-E-W  Z-E-A-L-A-N-D, the best long boat sailing country in the world, La Nouvelle Zélande, that little country the french terrorist attacked and blew up our back yard.

*cough* crazy french bastard  *cough*

nzolympic> british touch in alinghi boat ?... ahahha

No Mekky New Zealand, not britian, N-E-W  Z-E-A-L-A-N-D, the best long boat sailing country in the world, La Nouvelle Zélande, that little country the french terrorist attacked and blew up our back yard.

New-Zealand was not far to be a french territory like New-Caledonia, you would talk french to me... also, considering your relationship with aussies, it would have change nothing of your kiwi life... ahahah

Also, i know a new-zealander in Kapiti, i really love him and he explains me a lot of things (i didn't know for example that they produce french cheeses there), you will not be able to make me angry towards new zealanders mister nzolympic because of this love. You are only a guy or a girl that needs lot of help.

LOL...I think he has eaten too much of that French cheese they make in New Zeland

They produce it for oceanian market (australians eat french food a lot...), so impossible to see one of them in France, also i live in Normandy, and seriously it's hard to compete against our Camembert quality  :D

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Amazing how this post started with yet another proclomation that China would top the medal standings (didn't we hear that prior to Athens as well?) and ended up being a bitch fest started by a mouthy frenchman about the America's Cup?

also i live in Normandy

Reaaaallllyyyyy?????????

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

Amazing how this post started with yet another proclomation that China would top the medal standings (didn't we hear that prior to Athens as well?) and ended up being a bitch fest started by a mouthy frenchman about the America's Cup?

also i live in Normandy

Reaaaallllyyyyy?????????

It's because i don't care of China, and even more of the number of medal they will win lol I prefer India in Asia.

LOL...I think he has eaten too much of that French cheese they make in New Zeland

They produce it for oceanian market (australians eat french food a lot...), so impossible to see one of them in France, also i live in Normandy, and seriously it's hard to compete against our Camembert quality  :D

i live in Normandy
Unfortunately, somebody has to!!!! :P
it's hard to compete against our Camembert quality

...and yet people around the world do it every day!!!!  :wwww:

Don't get me wrong Mekky, I love French cheeses to a certain extent - it's just that they are not the only European country around here that produces good cheeses!!!  (Holland, Britain, Greece, Spain, Italy, Germany, the list is endless...)

Camembert, unfortunately, I can only take once in a blue moon!!!  Give me a nice bit of tasty Feta, Chedder, Edam, Gouda, Mozarella or tasty Lancashire any day!!   :sweet:  :glare:

I'm starting to believe more and more that China will top the standings in near future games. I was looking at the lists of medals from Athens and 50% of the US medals are in athletics and swimming. China's medals are MUCH more diversified. Compared to Sydney the variety of the US medals is falling, which will obviously mean more attention is paid to the medalling sports than the sports where the US doesn't win as many medals anymore.

I'm starting to believe more and more that China will top the standings in near future games. I was looking at the lists of medals from Athens and 50% of the US medals are in athletics and swimming. China's medals are MUCH more diversified. Compared to Sydney the variety of the US medals is falling, which will obviously mean more attention is paid to the medalling sports than the sports where the US doesn't win as many medals anymore.

Except, of course, that athletics and swimming are precisely the sports that have the most multiple events and hence the most medals. Anyone who does well in either of them gets an immediate boost up the tallies.

That said, I tend to think China is going to go all out to top the tally at Beijing _ after the results at Athens, it will be determined to top the 2008 leaderboard.

i live in Normandy
Unfortunately, somebody has to!!!! :P
it's hard to compete against our Camembert quality

...and yet people around the world do it every day!!!!  :wwww:

Don't get me wrong Mekky, I love French cheeses to a certain extent - it's just that they are not the only European country around here that produces good cheeses!!!  (Holland, Britain, Greece, Spain, Italy, Germany, the list is endless...)

Camembert, unfortunately, I can only take once in a blue moon!!!  Give me a nice bit of tasty Feta, Chedder, Edam, Gouda, Mozarella or tasty Lancashire any day!!   :sweet:  :glare:

Also, a lot of british come live in Normandy, there is more beautiful english cottages here that in England... Normandy is the 5th wealthiest part of France, it is the 4th industrial power, also Le Havre is one of major european seaport, with Pont de Normandie near it. Normandy, it is a rich heritage from Normans Kingdom (anglo-norman architecture, language, foods), and also a mix of viking and celtic bloods. Normandy has the biggest german bunker from world war 2, only to remember this tragedy, the destiny of Europe was played here. Normandy it's Victor Hugo, Corneille, Guy de Montpassant, Gustave Flaubert, Marcel Proust, and also Claude Monet. If you don't have enough, I wait you.

No, no other can make better Camemberts that in Normandy where it was born, with a lot of other cheeses. Also, like Feta, Camembert is protected from copy now...  :D

arwebb> If you don't like Europe, it's not my problem, all Europe don't like you either. The french NO means that never british ideology for the future of Europe will win. And most of people start to agree with us (german president saw the right light).

Interesting snippet in Sydney's Daily Telegraph (tablod):

Chinese to cheer for Russia, not USA

China and Russia have decalred a new Cold War against the US on the Olympic battle field at the Beijing Games in 2008.

The US topped the unofficial medals table last year in Athens, but the accord means even Chinese spectators will be instructed to cheer for Russians rather than Americans.

The heads of the Chinese and Russian Olympic Committees formed a pact last week, according to the Russian daily Izvestia.

"The Chinese hope that we will take some of the medals in sports that are traditionally considered American, such as swimming and track and field," Russsian Olympic Committee president Leonid Tyagachev said.

"They speak openly about it: We cannot give it to the U.S."

I wonder if we'ree going to see some openly ugly booing and cheering against succh teams as the US and Japan in Beijing?

China and Russia have decalreed a new Cold War against the US on the Olympic battle field at the Beijing Games in 2008.

The US topped the unofficial medals table last year in Athens, but the accord means even Chinese spectators will be instructed to cheer for Russians rather than Americans.

The heads of the Chinese and Russian Olympic Committees formed a pact last weeek, according to the Russian daily Izvestia.

"The Chinese hope that we will take some of the medals in sports that are traditionally considered American, such as swimming and track andd field," Russsian Olympic Committee president Leonid Tyagachev said.

"The speak openly about it: We cannot give it to the U.S."

I wonder if we'ree going to see some openly ugly booing and cheering against succh teams as the US and Japan in Beijing?

wow (and I am responding to your article).....sounds like a big posisble set-up scandal in the making....truely not the Olympic Spirit to have....I don't know over the past few months I am really beginning to wonder shoudl Bejing really be hosting 2008?

China and Russia have decalreed a new Cold War against the US on the Olympic battle field at the Beijing Games in 2008.

The heads of the Chinese and Russian Olympic Committees formed a pact last weeek, according to the Russian daily Izvestia.

"The Chinese hope that we will take some of the medals in sports that are traditionally considered American, such as swimming and track andd field," Russsian Olympic Committee president Leonid Tyagachev said.

"The speak openly about it: We cannot give it to the U.S."

wow (and I am responding to your article).....sounds like a big posisble set-up scandal in the making....truely not the Olympic Spirit to have....I don't know over the past few months I am really beginning to wonder shoudl Bejing really be hosting 2008?

i have tought the same..maybe 2008 should have been Toronto or Paris.

Archived