China WILL top the medal standings in 2008

rjmac

There is no doubt in my mind that China WILL top the medal standings at the games of 2008.

Sure, other host countries have done the same.  But China, has not always done that well.  I mean, well enough to top the medal standings.  I will also predict that they will win more GOLD than any other country.  The current movement in China for the last 6 years was to win the games and then perform better than all the rest.  Sport in China has taken over the number one spot in the government's priorities.  I think that we will all see this in 2008.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While it is a nice idea, China still lacks top athletes in a large number of Olympic sports.  If the US/Australia/Germany/ France can keep scoring huge medal tallies in Cycling, Swimming/Aquatics, Track and Field and Rowing (where there are numerous medal events) it will be unlikely China will win out.

I'd imagine a top 3 finish, however I feel they wont have the strength across the board to score an overall win.

I supposed they could.  East Germany certainly found a way to zoom up the medal standings in the 70's in a very short amount of time.  :glare:

Of course, their female athletes couldn't bear children afterwards but hey -

Honestly...it could go either way: USA w/ MORE total medals but China w/ more gold...or China w/ the MOST TOTAL medals but USA with more gold.  

The only sports I don't see China medalling in would be water polo, field hockey, baseball, weightlifting and equestrian.  Perhaps a slightly lower number in Track & Field (compared to the total # of events) and Swimming; but they will be everywhere.  

Sure golds (with my eyes closed) for China would be in Diving, Table Tennis, Shooting, Women's Indoor Volleyball and Archery.

Sure they will top the medal table .........if USA boycotted the 2008 games  :laugh:

another "shinny" comment from a very mature NY supporter.. :glare:

China has the pottential, and the oportunity..but as TNMP said not all the medals come from Table tennis, China needs to expand his power to other sports.!

China could indeed do it but in 2008?  Maybe 2012 or 2016.  It would be very suspicious if they came out on top in 2008 after scoring a total of 63 medals in 2004 against Russia's 92 and the United States' 103.

Frankly, I really don't care.

China could indeed do it but in 2008?  Maybe 2012 or 2016.  It would be very suspicious if they came out on top in 2008 after scoring a total of 63 medals in 2004 against Russia's 92 and the United States' 103.

Frankly, I really don't care.

yes that would look very suspicious.....

lol and I love your last line of your response...I couldn't agree more lol

EU will win again  :D . I don't talk about total of medals because european union's athletes are many more to compete, also in Athens, only gold medals helped EU to be in second place with 94 gold medals... eheheh

EU will win again  :D . I don't talk about total of medals because european union's athletes are many more to compete, also in Athens, only gold medals helped EU to be in second place with 94 gold medals... eheheh

Mekky, if I were you I would think before posting everywhere.

EU will win what?  Since when did they award medals to an economic grouping?  Duh.  Of course if you took Europe's total medals, then that would be something.  Then maybe all what, 25 EU nations should march under one EU flag -- and the Esperanto anthem played?  No more UK, bye-bye Netherlands, au revoir France, aufweidesen  Germany, ciao Italia ...  That would make your claim more legitimate.  Would you like that?  

It might make for a shorter Opening Ceremony.  

:rolleyes:

Mekky, if I were you I would think before posting everywhere.

EU will win what?  Since when did they award medals to an economic grouping?  Duh.  Of course if you took Europe's total medals, then that would be something.  Then maybe all what, 25 EU nations should march under one EU flag -- and the Esperanto anthem played?  No more UK, bye-bye Netherlands, au revoir France, aufweidesen  Germany, ciao Italia ...  That would make your claim more legitimate.  Would you like that?  

It might make for a shorter Opening Ceremony.  

:rolleyes:

The flag of EU was in Athens 2004 ..., also it was in Salt Lake City 2002 during Torino 2006 presentation...

Jealousy, europeans kick arse of everyone, they start to be stronger in ping-pong against chineses, Italy finished 3rd in men world cup baseball... America's Cup will return to its motherland... ahhhhhhh baron, if you would be me, you would take a good milk chocolate with few cookies and say "my land is great"  :D

Whatever.  :rolleyes:

Besides, it will be interesting on how Canada will do in Beijing 2008. Of course, with the row over qualifications for Athens 2004 still simmering, I hope there will be changes to those strict rules. For one event, it got very ugly. I don't think the IAAF really forgave Canada over it.

The flag of EU was in Athens 2004 ..., also it was in Salt Lake City 2002 during Torino 2006 presentation...

Jealousy, europeans kick arse of everyone, they start to be stronger in ping-pong against chineses, Italy finished 3rd in men world cup baseball...

I really don't understand why you keep bringing in the EU.  The IOC recognizes and is composed of 200 or so NOCs -- NOT regional markets.  The EU is not an NOC.  

Well, then maybe NAFTA should be in there, too - and ASPAC, and ANZAC, and NATO, and SEATO; Hey, bring back the Warsaw Pact countries, and all the other regional groupings since you keep insisting on this stupid, unrelated EU business.

America's Cup will return to its motherland... ahhhhhhh baron,

??  :rolleyes: Motherland?  You are completely bonkers, Mekky.  England never really won that Cup.  They first offered it but the Challenge was immediately won by the New York Yacht Club.  Yeah, right - Switzerland - which is technically not a member of the EU, right?  And without a sea to call its own?  So they have to borrow a port city and a sea to stage the AC regatta.  Really kinda surreal, if you ask me.  Somewhat like yourself, Mekky.

America's Cup will return to its motherland

yeah, but Alinghi was skippered by a kiwi and 50% of the team were kiwis, But It’s not like your gona keep the silver ware for long you lost russell coutts, the cups coming back to NZ.

yeah, but Alinghi was skippered by a kiwi and 50% of the team were kiwis, But It’s not like your gona keep the silver ware for long you lost russell coutts, the cups coming back to NZ.

Uhmmm...that's a misquote.  I didn't say that.  That line is Mekky's.

it's the same as saying Asia is going to be one team, or Canada, Mexico, the USA, and all of Central America are going to join and become one team...they are all separate nations....period....unless Europe was a nation which it is not)...you can not say this.....oh boy Meeky has gone overboard....yet again

Uhmmm...that's a misquote.  I didn't say that.  That line is Mekky's.

oh right, sorry  :upside:

OK.  Go China.   :rolleyes:

You'd batter you your own country. China doesn't need your support.

From your words in GB, I always think you are a big mouth,aren't you ??

:oo:

Oh......just shut your pipe hole . Like just because you are going to world 's #1 in everything does not you can boss people around  :angry:  :rock:

Jealousy, europeans kick arse of everyone, they start to be stronger in ping-pong against chineses, Italy finished 3rd in men world cup baseball...

I really don't understand why you keep bringing in the EU.  The IOC recognizes and is composed of 200 or so NOCs -- NOT regional markets.  The EU is not an NOC.  

Well, then maybe NAFTA should be in there, too - and ASPAC, and ANZAC, and NATO, and SEATO; Hey, bring back the Warsaw Pact countries, and all the other regional groupings since you keep insisting on this stupid, unrelated EU business.

America's Cup will return to its motherland... ahhhhhhh baron,
??  :rolleyes: Motherland?  You are completely bonkers, Mekky.  England never really won that Cup.  They first offered it but the Challenge was immediately won by the New York Yacht Club.  Yeah, right - Switzerland - which is technically not a member of the EU, right?  And without a sea to call its own?  So they have to borrow a port city and a sea to stage the AC regatta.  Really kinda surreal, if you ask me.  Somewhat like yourself, Mekky.

I talked about EU only in first line baron, the other one is about EUROPE.

Switzerland is part of Schengen now ! your answer is too late baron  :D

Europe has an official olympic body : http://www.eurolympic.org/jahia/Jahia/cach.../5?language=eng

Also the european anthem is Ode of Joy of Beethoven ...

You need new updates baron  :D

EUROPE THE MOTHERLAND OF AMERICA'S CUP YES... Will be in 2007 in VALENCIA, SPAIN, EU...

I forgot to say the defeat of canadians in hockey on ice and of americans in basketball world cup against Serbia... (also in davis cup final last year against Spain...) We are truely sorry ... not !!! ahahahaha

nzolympic> british touch in alinghi boat ?... ahahha

OK.  Go China.   :rolleyes:

You'd batter you your own country. China doesn't need your support.

From your words in GB, I always think you are a big mouth,aren't you ??

:oo:

Oh......just shut your pipe hole . Like just because you are going to world 's #1 in everything does not you can boss people around  :angry:  :rock:

Is it a NYC legacy to fight many-to-one battles? Can't you just let LiuTian and Baron settle their differences by themselves?

Archived