Moscow 2010

Well, it seems that the race for the 2010 Summer Youth Olympic Games has begun. The first article that I have found about it so far is coming out from MOSCOW.

Link: SportingNews: Moscow Bids To Host First Youth Olympics In 2010

snMast-snlogo.gif

I think the Russians have got a bit carried away with Olympic fever! ;)

I can understand the enthusiasm of a city like Moscow for wanting the chance to bid for these Youth Olympics but I feel they need to be realistic and realise that,in the larger context,Russia has already just been awarded a major Olympic event and I doubt that the IOC will want to hand them two such prizes in short order!

I feel that these Games are ideally suited for some of the smaller cities and countries who are never likely to stage the full-blown thing to become a part of the Olympic hosting experience.And I have a strong feeling that the IOC will be looking in this direction too particularly to stave off criticism from some quarters that it only seems to be currently awarding its events to the bigger,richer places!

I don't know about "elitist" so much. It's just that the modern Olympics requires major infrastructure in place which is beyond the realistic reach of many cities. In this case, the IOC has an opportunity to lay down a marker that this is going to be a smaller event that smaller cities can make a bid for and have a realistic chance of winning.

With Singapore uncertain of their interest for 2010 and India claiming it's too soon, I'm starting to believe that the first edition will indeed be given to a big city with all infrastructure already in place - either a former Olympic city or a failed bid city that went forward with its plans.

If Sochi hadn't got the Winter Olympics, I'd say Moscow could land the first Youth Games.

With Singapore uncertain of their interest for 2010 and India claiming it's too soon, I'm starting to believe that the first edition will indeed be given to a big city with all infrastructure already in place - either a former Olympic city or a failed bid city that went forward with its plans.

If Sochi hadn't got the Winter Olympics, I'd say Moscow could land the first Youth Games.

Then, what about Athens?

Perfect.

Especially that Athens' Olympic venues are the latest ones to be built so far, ahead of what Beijing is doing right now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Getting back in topic, I think it could be a Moscow/Singapore showdown here. Of course, we still haven't seen how many cities are wanting to take a shot at the 2010 Summer YOG yet.

What about Hamburg _ I thought they'd announced a bid as well?

That is what I didn't hear before. Hmmm.... Well, Hamburg has a lot of potential to do it. Why not? Have they put forward a bid for it yet?