The Continents

There has been a lot of confusion about which countries are in which continents and we need to get things straight.

Firstly, there are only three countries that physically span over two continents, these are Egypt, Turkey and Russia.

Secondly, the placement of the capital within these countries if of the out-most importance. Cairo is in Africa, meaning that Egypt is an African country. Ankara is in Asia; therefore Turkey is an Asian country. Moscow is in Europe; therefore Russia is in Europe right, while not quiet. In comparison, the vast majority of Russia is in Asia, but the vast majority of both Turkey and Egypt are in the continent of their capital.

Thirdly, ethnicity, modern Egyptians have ancestry to the land for centuries, plus similarities to their North African neighbors, mind you this has all be relatively recent migration compared to the Slavic settlements. Russians are Slaves, a generally considered European people. Turkey is tricky, because they are obviously Turks with have similarities to Kurds, Arabs and Iranians, but those three groups have similarities to all North Africans because of the Islamic migrations. Again making Turkish ethnic position tricky in comparison to Egypt, but since there is no relation between those 4 groups with European ethnicities means that Turkey is Asian.

Therefore in summary

Russia:

Ethnicity - Europe

Geography – Asia

Capital – Europe

Finally decision: Europe

Turkey:

Ethnicity – Asia

Geography – Asia

Capital – Asia

Finally decision: Asia

Egypt:

Ethnicity – Afro-Asia

Geography – Africa

Capital – Africa

Finally decision: Africa

The final part of this post is to discuss is those confused nations.

Australia – Oceania, not Asia despite footballing allegiances

Armenia – Asia

Azerbaijan – Asia

Georgia – Asia

Kazakhstan – Asia

Israel – Asia

I think that covers everything.

Good.

Now that the ultimate authority has spoken I suggest you contact the various NOC Associations as well as UEFA and various other sports bodies since they tend to disagree with you. ;)

Russia:

Ethnicity - Europe

Geography – Asia

Capital – Europe

Finally decision: Europe

Turkey:

Ethnicity – Asia

Geography – Asia

Capital – Asia

Finally decision: Asia

Egypt:

Ethnicity – Afro-Asia

Geography – Africa

Capital – Africa

Finally decision: Africa

The final part of this post is to discuss is those confused nations.

Australia – Oceania, not Asia despite footballing allegiances

Armenia – Asia

Azerbaijan – Asia

Georgia – Asia

Kazakhstan – Asia

Israel – Asia

I think that covers everything.

I think tradition, and the view of the people of the nation also is a factor. I believe Georgians, and perhaps also Armenians, consider themselves European.

Good.

Now that the ultimate authority has spoken I suggest you contact the various NOC Associations as well as UEFA and various other sports bodies since they tend to disagree with you. ;)

I am speaking from an entirely geographic point-of-view.

With countries like Azerbaijan, Armenia and Georgia it is a bit different, because they were once apart of a country that associated itself so closely with Europe.

geograficly

Turkey

Russia

Egypt are the only countires lies in 2 continetns. ( mainland )

turkey from the timeof ottoman empires with the paris declaration as knows an european power. and after that with eu negotians ... so its an european counrty

russia is european from the begining beeing a slavic and chrisitian country

egypt is in africa always..

on the other hand ı live in asian side of istanbul and working in european side :) s.t. different and very unique :)

Good.

Before they joined UEFA, I seem to recall Israel was a member of the Oceania federation.

I think tradition, and the view of the people of the nation also is a factor. I believe Georgians, and perhaps also Armenians, consider themselves European.
Just back from Azerbaïdjan. They tend to consider themselves as Europeans.

The problem is that europeans tend to not consider them as so.

I used to see Turkey as an Asian nation for that aforementioned geopolitical reason growing up. But years ago, I now see it as European. Ditto for Georgia, Armenia, and Azerbaijian following its breakup from the Soviet Union.

Israel can go either way for me depending on the aspect. Technically and geographically, it's Asian, but, due to political and cultural considerations, I'm willing to view it as European, particularly when international sports competitions are involved.

I can see Kazakhstan as European, but still it's central Asian to me.

Archived