Guatemala 2007 - Election To Ioc Executive Board

Heiberg has been relected to the IOC executive board getting 49 votes, followed by Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr (22 votes), Mustapha Larfaoui (15 votes) and Anita Defrantz (6 votes).

I am stunned by the score Anita got... She didn't derserve that.

The EB remains without any American.

The four candidate to IOC memberships were elected.

Heiberg has been relected to the IOC executive board getting 49 votes, followed by Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr (22 votes), Mustapha Larfaoui (15 votes) and Anita Defrantz (6 votes).

I am stunned by the score Anita got... She didn't derserve that.

The EB remains without any American.

The four candidate to IOC memberships were elected.

Hmmm...could this be an indication of lingering anti-American feeling amongst IOC members? :huh:

Hmmm...could this be an indication of lingering anti-American feeling amongst IOC members? :huh:

Could be.

One thing is certain, the fact that no American is a member of the EB will handicap Chicago, especially in its competition against Tokyo since Higaya is currently an IOC Vice-President. He will have more opportunities to lobby his colleagues.

Article in today's Chicago Tribune:

American suffers defeat in bid for IOC post

By Philip Hersh

Tribune Olympic sports reporter

Published July 7, 2007, 10:42 AM CDT

GUATEMALA CITY -- Giving proved easier than getting for the United States Olympic Committee, which is doing everything possible to regain lost footing in international Olympic affairs.

Thursday, it gave full support to getting the new Youth Olympic Games off the ground. Friday, it announced a substantial clothing gift to Darfur refugees as part of a joint project between the International Olympic Committee and the United Nations High Commission for Refugees.

Saturday, the USOC did not get what it wants: a place in the IOC leadership.

Anita DeFrantz of Los Angeles, who a decade ago became the first female IOC vice-president, suffered an overwhelming defeat in her bid for a place on the 15-member executive board.

DeFrantz received just six of 92 votes in a four-person field as IOC marketing commission chairman Gerhard Heiberg of Norway retained his board position by receiving a majority (49) on the first-round of balloting.

Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr. of Spain, son of the former IOC president, was second with 22 votes, followed by International Aquatics Federation president Mustapha Larfaoui of Algeria with 15.

``I am stunned,'' DeFrantz told the IOC members. ``I hope this is not something to suggest women can never be elected to the executive board again. I will remain stunned for a while.''

A woman, vice-president Gunilla Lindberg of Sweden, is on the executive board as a vice-president.

``I am sure we can continue counting on you very much to continue to promote the cause of women,'' IOC president Jacques Rogge told DeFrantz in front of the assembly.

DeFrantz chairs the IOC's women and sport commission.

Executive board members serve four-year terms.

The United States had an executive board position all but nine months from 1989 through 2006, when DeFrantz withdrew her board candidacy in favor of countryman Jim Easton. He lost by 21 votes.

By percentage of votes, Saturday's defeat was worse than what happened when DeFrantz ran for IOC president in 2001. Last in a five-person field, she got just 9 of 107 votes and attributed it to having received no USOC support and European animus toward America.

This time, the USOC publicly has backed DeFrantz, a board member from 1992-2001.

"We're supporting Anita in very way we can, but it's a tough election,'' USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth had said.

The article makes no mention of any potential implications for Chicago 2016.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/olymp...i-sportstop-hed

Of course America and women should be represented at EB, but still I am glad that Jr was not elected. That he got as many votes as he did shows how much influence JAS still has. Of course, for Norway and winter sports it is also good that Heiberg remains, and quite a lot of the IOC members are apparantly satisfied with the job he has done so far. There are not that many people within IOC that knows as much about WOGs as him.

well, Anita isn't the most effervescent personality. But not having her on the EB shouldn't be particularly egregious. There weren't any Brit or Canadian or Russian members on the EB, yet London, Vancouver and Sochi all got selected. It's the overall quality of the bid that'll matter. And as far as Higaya and going to bat for Tokyo, he better watch it. I'm sure many people will be watching him.

It's the overall quality of the bid that'll matter. And as far as Higaya and going to bat for Tokyo, he better watch it. I'm sure many people will be watching him.

And what would be wrong with Igaya bating for Tokyo? Anyway, he won't be able to vote on the EB when a decision related to the 2016 is involved (typically the selection of the 2016 candidate cities, not that there is any doubt whatsoever that Tokyo and Chicago will be among them).

I am not saying Chicago will lose because of that, just merely stating the obvious saying that it cannot hurt to have a member of the EB in your bid committee: more occasions to speak to his colleagues that's all.

Archived