Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Ioc Introduces Youth Olympic Games

Rogge did say that all Olympic sports would be represented, but that EVENTS may be cut. Whitewater in particular, I think, could suffer from this _ it's not a common facility at all, it would restrict the possible hosts. Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I'd assume whitewater canoeing wouldn't have an IF of its own, but rather be under a general canoeing IF. So a host could include canoeing, but just not have whitewater events.

As for a velodrome _ there must be options for a temporary facility in Lisbon (you could also argue that road events could cover all of cycling, but I doubt they'd want to lose the track events).

Yes is it under the canoe-kayaking federation.

Sydney in fact almost lost the games in 1994 becase of whitewater. The Sydney organizing committee refused point blank to stage whitewater kayaking because it was not in their bid, but the IOC said that the city contract stated that the host Sydney must stage all sports that are in the IOC program or lose the games.

Sydney in fact almost lost the games in 1994 becase of whitewater. The Sydney organizing committee refused point blank to stage whitewater kayaking because it was not in their bid, but the IOC said that the city contract stated that the host Sydney must stage all sports that are in the IOC program or lose the games.

Sydney never really almost lost the Games.

The whole issue arose in 1996/97 - way too late to change the host city. The IOC made a famous flip-flop over the issue, first agreeing with SOCOG before changing its position after strong lobbying from ICF and Australian Canoe Federation. A compromise was reached with SOCOG agreeing to stage the event with keeping the same athlete quota while the ICF funded part of the venue.

Edited by cfm Jeremie

Do you believe that the IOC would give Sheffield the Youth Olympics of 2010 when London has the 2012 Olympics

Also, countries have to consider if a "Youth Olympics" would be held against them in the future if they plan a bid for the big games?

I'm not saying it's likely if you get cities like Moscow bidding, but with the infrastructure that Sheffield does have in place, I do think they might have some sort of a chance given the short process we're operating to.

According to l'Equipe, the following cities are candidate for the 2010 YOG:
  • Moscow
  • Singapore
  • Guadalajara
  • Hamburg

I think the IOC will select a city they already know since the campaign is going to be so brief. That would leave Singapore and Moscow, two recent hosts of IOC Sessions. Given that Sochi has just been awarded 2014, I wouldn't be surpised if Singapore stages the first YOG.

Well, I am surprised that Athens hasn't said anything about wanting to bid for these Games. Well, it will host the 2011 Special Olympics World Summer Games, after Shanghai 2007 later on in October.

That's ironic considering now that the whitewater course has proved to be THE most successful of the 200 venues in post-games use. It's been a great popular success along with the whole Penrith water park!

Anyway, Australia won't be bidding for Youth Games, at least the first one:

Australia supported the proposal, but Australian Olympic Committee (AOC) Secretary-General Craig Phillips said it would not be bidding to host the first one.

``We're going to wait and see what happens with it,'' he told AAP.

``There's a possibility we might bid to host it in the future.''

Phillips said he believed the IOC would use the Youth Olympics as an opportunity to give hosting rights to cities that missed out on the Olympics themselves.

``It's important for the Olympic movement to continue to connect with youth and get them excited about the Olympic Games,'' he said, echoing sentiments expressed by Rogge in a letter he wrote to IOC delegates earlier this year.

aap

Edited by Sir Roltel

How could they have not proposed a venue for an Olympic sport? But mostly, how could the IOC overlook that? :huh:

I found an article on a Portuguese regional journal's website, from June 2007, where Vicente de Moura (NOC president) stated that we «might be candidates to organize the Youth Olympic Games». He also said that «it's premature to submit a bid for the 2010 Games, although a bid for the 2014 edition is not out of the question». It's probably a good call - we need time to prepare properly and one has to see how the first YOG pull off. Lisbon's having the 2nd Lusofonia Games, in 2009, and despite the reduced number of sports, it'll test the city's hosting capacity for multi-sport events and give it more experience.

How could they have not proposed a venue for an Olympic sport? But mostly, how could the IOC overlook that? :huh:

Because back in 1992/93 during the 2000 campaign, the whitewater was not part of the Olympic Programme by default. It was added on a case by case basis (Munich and Barcelona had whitewaters, I am not sure Moscow and LA had it for example).

Because back in 1992/93 during the 2000 campaign, the whitewater was not part of the Olympic Programme by default. It was added on a case by case basis (Munich and Barcelona had whitewaters, I am not sure Moscow and LA had it for example).

Munich had Whitewater, but it wasn't staged again at the Olympics before Barcelona.

I found an article on a Portuguese regional journal's website, from June 2007, where Vicente de Moura (NOC president) stated that we «might be candidates to organize the Youth Olympic Games». He also said that «it's premature to submit a bid for the 2010 Games, although a bid for the 2014 edition is not out of the question». It's probably a good call - we need time to prepare properly and one has to see how the first YOG pull off. Lisbon's having the 2nd Lusofonia Games, in 2009, and despite the reduced number of sports, it'll test the city's hosting capacity for multi-sport events and give it more experience.

Using the Youth Olympics as a stepping stone to a crack at the big one?

Using the Youth Olympics as a stepping stone to a crack at the big one?

Precisely. Lusofonia Games (9-10 sports) > Youth Summer Olympics (26 sports but fewer events) > ... Summer Olympics?

Vicente de Moura has always expressed his wish to see the Olympics in Portugal, despite successive governments politely putting this idea in a drawer (even more nowadays with our sluggish economy). From what depends on us, I can't see that happening in the near future (low support and financial means), but he says that the mere act of bidding would give put us under a positive spotlight - he's right - although I wouldn't endorse a trial bid that doesn't commit itself to truly bid for the Games and go all the way.

So I see on the GamesBids news that the bidders so far are Singapore, Moscow, Hamburg and Guadalajara. Interesting line-up, three continents all sort-of not-quite top-tier summer games contenders (well, Moscow's chances aren't great for a while now after Sochi and the jury's still out on Guadalajara's 2016 bid).

I'd lean at this stage towards Singapore (about time they got off their arses and actually bid for and hosted something rather than being the perpetual cock-teasers of sports bidding) or Hamburg (could be a good leg-up in its struggle with Berlin to establish itself as a credible German summer games bidder).

Russia's just landed its golden goose for the decade, and Guadalajara should stay in the 2016 race to add some spice.

So I see on the GamesBids news that the bidders so far are Singapore, Moscow, Hamburg and Guadalajara. Interesting line-up, three continents all sort-of not-quite top-tier summer games contenders (well, Moscow's chances aren't great for a while now after Sochi and the jury's still out on Guadalajara's 2016 bid).

I'd lean at this stage towards Singapore (about time they got off their arses and actually bid for and hosted something rather than being the perpetual cock-teasers of sports bidding) or Hamburg (could be a good leg-up in its struggle with Berlin to establish itself as a credible German summer games bidder).

Russia's just landed its golden goose for the decade, and Guadalajara should stay in the 2016 race to add some spice.

I didn't know Guadalajara was bidding for the 2016 Olympic Games. I know they are staging the 2011 PanAm's, but never heard of a 2016 Olymíc bid.

I didn't know Guadalajara was bidding for the 2016 Olympic Games. I know they are staging the 2011 PanAm's, but never heard of a 2016 Olymíc bid.

I thought it was still up to Mexico to decide between the two for a 2016 bid.

The Mexican Olympic Com has mentioned to Federal Government that they will support Monterrey's Bid. Guadalajra said they will consider bidding for an Olympic Games after the organization of the PanAm's in 2011 and depending on the success of the games.

The Mexican Olympic Com has mentioned to Federal Government that they will support Monterrey's Bid. Guadalajra said they will consider bidding for an Olympic Games after the organization of the PanAm's in 2011 and depending on the success of the games.

Seems sensible that smaller cities, who may not get the nod for the Olympics any time soon, seem to be in the frame by and large. That's the way we need to go with this.

A new rule should be made:

A city can only host the Youth Olympic Games if it has already hosted the original Olympic Games (Summer or Winter) and/or some other big multi-sport event. (i.e. Pan-Am Games, Asian Games, All-Africa Games)

A new rule should be made:

A city can only host the Youth Olympic Games if it has already hosted the original Olympic Games (Summer or Winter) and/or some other big multi-sport event. (i.e. Pan-Am Games, Asian Games, All-Africa Games)

I disagree.

That will only result in a reduced pool of bidding cities, making these Games as elitist as the senior ones, thus killing them before they can settle and grow in popularity. There are many cities with capable infrastructures that possibly haven't hosted such high- or medium-profile sporting events - will they be barred?

If they are, they shouldn't be. The general consensus appears to be that the senior Olympics are too big. The Youth Olympics must not be allowed to go the same way. Keep it relatively small, so that smaller cities get their moment in the spotlight.

If they are, they shouldn't be. The general consensus appears to be that the senior Olympics are too big. The Youth Olympics must not be allowed to go the same way. Keep it relatively small, so that smaller cities get their moment in the spotlight.

Agreed. The Canada Games for the 40 years it has existed so far, to my knowledge about it, has NEVER GONE to the likes of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc. It has practically gone to way-out-of-the-way places, just to boost the area's attention to the rest of the country. One example: did anyone here what Corner Brook, Newfoundland and Labrador, had to offer, before it hosted the 1999 Canada Winter Games? I bet the majority of you would say "no." After that, guess what it has been hosting lately? A couple of annual WORLD CUP events in TRIATHLON! I do not know, if this Newfoundland city will get the chance again, but it did in a way put that part of Canada in the international sporting map, even though it has brief.

Looking at their list so far, it seems, hopefully, to be going that way. Most of them _ Hamburg, Singapore and Guadalajara _ have been discussd here at times as potential Summer Games hosts but usually rated down as "B" chances at best. Even Moscow has its doubters here.

Are the Youth Olympic Games bad? If so, then I like the Original Olympic Games better.

I wouldn't say a bad idea, no, but the IOC has to be careful to make sure that it does not grow massively like the senior Games have done.

Sign in to follow this