Sign in to follow this  
GBModerator

Ioc Introduces Youth Olympic Games

The Youth Olympic Games will become a reality. The IOC members today approved, at the 119th Session in Guatemala City, the project that foresees the first editions for the Youth Olympic Summer Games in 2010 and for the Youth Olympic Winter Games in 2012. “This is an historic moment for the Olympic Movement. We owe this to the youth of the world”, declared IOC President Rogge after the decision by his 111 fellow members.

According to Rogge, the Youth Olympic Games, which will take place every second year, are the flagship of the IOC’s strategy outlined for young people, which includes other initiatives, such as an educational project on Olympic values, a dedicated web site for youngsters and a campaign highlighting the Olympic values to young people.

The Youth Olympic Games aim

· to bring together talented athletes from around the world to participate in high-level competitions;

· to run, alongside the sports element of the event, education programmes on; Olympic values, on the benefits of sport for a healthy lifestyle, the social values sport can deliver and on the dangers of doping and of training to excess and/or of inactivity.

· to use the latest communications channels to promote Olympic values and the spirit and essence embodied in the Youth Olympic Games.

Around 3,200 athletes for Summer Games and 1,000 athletes for Winter Games

The Youth Olympic Games – age group 14 to 18 - will bring together approximately 3,200 athletes and 800 officials for the Summer Games and 1,000 athletes and 580 officials for the Winter Games. The sports programme will encompass all sports on the programme of the 2010 Olympic Winter Games and the 2012 Summer Games with a limited number of disciplines and events. Proposals from Sports Federations to integrate youth-driven disciplines that are not part of the Olympic Games may be accepted.

Main milestones for the first Olympic Youth Summer Games in 2010

The main milestones for the first Youth Olympic Games are the following:

· July 2007: opening of bid process to NOCs for the 1st Summer Youth Olympic Games in 2010

· Between November and December 2007: an Evaluation Commission, under the guidance of the IOC and composed of IF, NOC and athlete representatives, may visit the Candidate Cities, pre-selected by an expert panel on the basis of a bid file, and forward a proposal to the Executive Board, which will make a recommendation to the IOC members.

· End of February 2008: decision by the IOC members on the host city for the 2010 Summer Youth Olympic Games by postal vote.

You know there will be a Korean bid...

Seoul?

Busan?

It would have to be a city with existing facilities - no time to build.

(this could be exciting - fill the bidding void between 2014 and 2016)

You know there will be a Korean bid...

Seoul?

Busan?

It would have to be a city with existing facilities - no time to build.

(this could be exciting - fill the bidding void between 2014 and 2016)

Ah, so the IOC has a whole new consolation prize to reward spurned bidders with. Canny move!

At least it gives us a new bid race to fill in the time between SOG and WOG bids. I was wondering how we were going to amuse ourselves between now and the start of the Beijing Games.

Istanbul?

ABUJA!!!!!!!!?

Seriously, Melbourne's usually pretty keen to go after anything on offer. I wouldn't put it past them going for it.

Edited by Sir Roltel

What about Lausanne, Switzerland, home of the IOC headquarters, for 2010?

For 2012, I would choose the following:

- Harbin, China

- Almaty, Kazakhstan

- Erzurum, Turkey

Sheesh. I never have thought that I would post something like this. :P

Pre-existing venues rule means

Summer

Montreal

Atalnta

Sydney

Melbourne

Rio de Janerio

Munich

Paris

Winter

SALZBURG

Munich

Albertville/Grenoble

Berne

Torino

Lillehammer

Salt Lake City

Calgary

Lake Placid

Nagano

The BBC did not waste anytime to post this article about the Youth Olympic Games. It is dated TOMORROW! Of course, it is now Friday morning at the BBC.

Link: BBC: IOC Approves New Youth Olympics

_42469844_youngsters_ap203b.jpg

Inspire The Youth Of The World

How can that "no new infrastructure" rule allow smaller countries to host? Do they mean "former losing bids" instead? <_<

Does this means that any necessary infrastructure will have to be built outside of a bid context?

The BBC did not waste anytime to post this article about the Youth Olympic Games. It is dated TOMORROW! Of course, it is now Friday morning at the BBC.

Link: BBC: IOC Approves New Youth Olympics

_42469844_youngsters_ap203b.jpg

Inspire The Youth Of The World

«Judges, referees and delegation officials will also be young people.»

:blink: They're really taking these new "Kids Games" seriously :blink:

Dick Pound was really down on the idea:

``There will be a lot of overhead here,'' warned Dick Pound of Canada, who questioned whether the games would ``get one more person'' attracted to organised sport.

Pound was one of several to voice their concerns about the project, along with another veteran Russian Vitaly Smirnov, still preening from the victory of the Black Sea resort of Sochi to host the 2014 Winter Olympics.

``The question we should ask is will this get one couch potato off it and onto the track or into the swimming pool?'' asked Pound, referring to one of the key aims of Rogge's plan to reduce obesity in the young.

``There is an old proverb, you measure seven times and you cut it just once.

``We should use our limited resources well.

``I think we should take more of a backswing and reflect on it.

``I feel 2010 is too close to today.''

Dick Pound was really down on the idea:

Like, he has much real voice in the IOC nowadays. :rolleyes:

Like, he has much real voice in the IOC nowadays. :rolleyes:

I still think he's one of the few that speaks his mind and has some common sense ... I certainly don't disagree with his views on the youth games.

I still think he's one of the few that speaks his mind and has some common sense ... I certainly don't disagree with his views on the youth games.

I know. But, some people are switching their thinking (in their minds and behind the scenes) that Pound is considered part of the "Samaranch old school." Or else, why would the winter athletes of Torino 2006 voted in Beckie Scott in the first place? In fact, I haven't heard much of the native Albertan, since her election as IOC member last year. :huh:

hey, how about universiaded ?? is that something like youth olympic ???

Difficult to say. I say that because the Universiade is supposed to be reserved for athletes who are ACTIVELY in some university while competing in these Games. The Youth Olympic Games is more in tune to "up and coming very young athletes which they could end up in the big one called the Olympic Games, whether it is the winter or summer one. From my personal reference from my part of the world, these new IOC Games could be compared to what Canada has every two years called "the Canada Games."

Difficult to say. I say that because the Universiade is supposed to be reserved for athletes who are ACTIVELY in some university while competing in these Games. The Youth Olympic Games is more in tune to "up and coming very young athletes which they could end up in the big one called the Olympic Games, whether it is the winter or summer one. From my personal reference from my part of the world, these new IOC Games could be compared to what Canada has every two years called "the Canada Games."

O I c in indonesia we have popnas (Pekan Olahraga Pelajar Nasional) or National Student Sport Week

The IOC's gonna walk over the bones of the Goodwill Games w/ this new venture.

Usually the host for the games (summer or winter) need 7 years to preparing the event, if the youth olympic will take place in 2010, which city is ready ?? is that too soon for any city to prepare the youth games ? why not in 2014 ?

Usually the host for the games (summer or winter) need 7 years to preparing the event, if the youth olympic will take place in 2010, which city is ready ?? is that too soon for any city to prepare the youth games ? why not in 2014 ?

Well, Rogge is insisting that it will only go to cities that have everything in place _ he basically said they will not allow any new infrastructure to be built for such games.

You're right, that limits pretty much anybody that could do them. I also agree it's a bit rushed _ why not start in 2014 instead for tbhe better lead-time.

The IOC's gonna walk over the bones of the Goodwill Games w/ this new venture.

Yep, that's my thoughts too Baron. How many second rate games _ Universiades, Youth Games, Masters games etc do we need? About the only thing this one has going for it, I suppose, is the Five Rings cachet, but I don't think that's even going to be enough to make them successful.

Well, the Special Olympics may be unique in its own right, since it is the only "non-IOC" Games that is allowed to use the word "Olympic" here.

As for the other Games, the IOC hierarchy should try to determine which kinds of these "Games" that they would accept as "legitimate ones." Not going to be easy, if the IOC does go down that road.

Sign in to follow this